Stacked leather handles

screened porch screened porch held a very generous GAW a while back and the GAW gods were smiling down upon me that day. Thanks again scrteened porch, I'm really diggin' it!
45512424785_e5d6c70fdc_h.jpg

Western 71
45805263065_e881d5a2a3_h.jpg

I even like the sheath.

Got my leather handles out for a few touch-ups on a bench I've been messing around with for going on 2 years. Rounding off the front lip of the seat sticks. It's been a source of a lot of material for testing knives. Interesting what you come out with after trying at least 2 dozen knives on a project like this. Everything but the screws and wood glue were from dead trees and branches I pulled out of the local woods. It's pretty ugly, but it holds my chubby butt, my wife's much nicer butt, the little boy, and our coffees.

54t1Wkcl.jpg

AiZbEVzl.jpg

Got my leather handles out for a few touch-ups on a bench I've been messing around with for going on 2 years. Rounding off the front lip of the seat sticks. It's been a source of a lot of material for testing knives. Interesting what you come out with after trying at least 2 dozen knives on a project like this. Everything but the screws and wood glue were from dead trees and branches I pulled out of the local woods. It's pretty ugly, but it holds my chubby butt, my wife's much nicer butt, the little boy, and our coffees.

54t1Wkcl.jpg

AiZbEVzl.jpg
Nice knives, bikerector. Could you tell me a little about the larger one?

Nice knives, bikerector. Could you tell me a little about the larger one?

I don't have the design specs handy but I think it's about a 10 degree forward angle with a 13cm piece of Vanadis 4E at 4mm thickness. It's a camp knife @wajgy and I worked up based on a hunting/skinning/kitchen knife that I have with a slightly more aggressive cant that is smaller and a lot thinner. It's kind of like my version of a BK2 I guess, that is better at the food prep stuff with the forward cant and thinner blade. It chops pretty well for such a small blade, not a great carver but decent for rough shaping. Nice, packable, do-most-things knife.

If you look at a spyderco military, the forward cant is similar there as well. Probably one of my favorite folders for non-EDC uses.

Bk16 for reference of a straight blade, camp knife (can't remember what @wajgy called it), the kitchen/hunting knife used for a reference, and then my millie.
G7C88jml.jpg

I don't have the design specs handy but I think it's about a 10 degree forward angle with a 13cm piece of Vanadis 4E at 4mm thickness. It's a camp knife @wajgy and I worked up based on a hunting/skinning/kitchen knife that I have with a slightly more aggressive cant that is smaller and a lot thinner. It's kind of like my version of a BK2 I guess, that is better at the food prep stuff with the forward cant and thinner blade. It chops pretty well for such a small blade, not a great carver but decent for rough shaping. Nice, packable, do-most-things knife.

If you look at a spyderco military, the forward cant is similar there as well. Probably one of my favorite folders for non-EDC uses.

Bk16 for reference of a straight blade, camp knife (can't remember what @wajgy called it), the kitchen/hunting knife used for a reference, and then my millie.
G7C88jml.jpg
Thanks for the info. I like the look of booth of those, I like the forward cant. The stacked leather, guard and end cap really class up the design. :thumbsup:
BTW, the Mili' is one of my all time favorite folders. I'm carrying one today.

Thanks for the info. I like the look of booth of those, I like the forward cant. The stacked leather, guard and end cap really class up the design. :thumbsup:
BTW, the Mili' is one of my all time favorite folders. I'm carrying one today.

I think my next "project", in quotes because I'm not doing it, is to send out a san-mai CS trailmaster from some leather grips.

The puukko is from @jelio, he's listed a few of the leather handle ones. I had this one special ordered with a slightly small blade and mild adjustment to the belly after seeing on that was 3.75" listed. He can only do the certain steels with the leather since there's issue with peening the buttcap on some of the harder metals, or ones that require HT through the entire piece of steel instead of a softer tang and harder blade.

Both are top notch and have helped settle down my spending sprees on other fixed blades to try... at least a little anyway.

It’s an old picture the first one in the top row. Painted brown and in really rough shape came with a nord scabbard. Anyway it now looks like this.

view

Last edited:
This one dropped off the list a ways, took me a bit to find.

Cold Steel Trailmaster just finished up at the knife customizer/maker. Pretty pleased out it turned out so far. Should have it in hand beginning of next week. It looks a lot more comfy to swing around with reckless abandon.

H3V4kGJl.jpg

ZuGhwcZl.jpg

4CnU8wNl.jpg

My favorite stacked leather handle? SOG S-1 Bowie, also made by Hattori. Well, THAT was easy.....

As for "who does a good one", I really like Jim Behring's work. Bob Dozier does a nice job as well, though he's mostly known for his full tang knives. And Randall, of course!
I don't think a decent SLH is all that difficult. For production knives, something like a Blackjack Model 1-7, for instance. A GOOD one isn't that hard to find, it's what would be called a 'mature technology', as about the only thing that could possibly be improved upon is the stabilizing treatment for the leather. And even THAT is plenty good these days...

JUST like that! Except I have a Lynnwood sheath. Didn't get it for the sheath, tho....

Can't believe I just now found this thread. I have a camp oriented knife from @wajgy that's scheduled to be finishing up in the next couple weeks (potentially this week even) and I'm working on a puukko with another maker on the forums as a companion.

For now, I only have a beat up kabar I received in a trade and a Hess pioneer.
4A6gxHHl.jpg

V4nroWQl.jpg
Hey BE - your pics disintegrated.

Hey BE - your pics disintegrated.

I deleted them when cleaning out the imgur account a little after gifting and selling off some knives. I try not to keep "inactive" photos as imgur used to have a pretty low image limit for unpaid accounts. I'm not sure if that's the case as I have about 3 times as much as I used to when I ran into the limit issue using imgur for hosting photos for my bicycle website/blog.

They were cool looking :D. I think the picture here was before I modded the kabar for woodsy uses and took the top guard off. The pioneer was just cool all around, just a bit dainty in the handle. More of a hunting knife than a woods use knife too and I don't hunt like I used to. I have strongly considered bow hunting the squirrels out of my backyard though. They are tasty and abundant.

Back