Stag handle practicality ?

I build primarily Scagel style knives with the vast majority being crown stag from many different species of stag or deer. I use compressed leather and just about any type of spacer material I can find from mammoth ivory to musk ox boss. The crowns length ranges roughly from 1/4 to 2/3 the length of the handle. The stag is very tough and provides a good secure grip, I think it would be possible to chip a crown stag handle if you dropped it on a very hard surface like concrete, but it wouldn't crack. I've made countless knives over the years with hidden tang Scagel style handles with crown stag, I use epoxy and pin each and every handle and have yet to see one crack. Mineral oil, as mentioned previously, a couple times per year is a great treatment for stag handles. From my experience scales and crowns seem to be tougher than rounds, and I don't know why. I have limited experience working with different types of bone like cow and camel bone and stag seems to be a bit softer but substantially tougher for some reason as well. I have cracked bone accidentally by dropping it on the floor but never a piece of stag.

Pinned pommels, aka, crown stag rarely crack, as they are back where tang does not flex. Try to find an old Randall pinned stag handle where pinned in middle, and it not be cracked, and you have a premium value rareity.

image hosting software
I put these on 8 or 9 years ago. No changes except it gets better...more caramel colored.
I slosh mineral oil on it about twice a year. I use this knife too. It did a deer nicely, and not too slick, even in blood.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Fantastic S1 and great Stag!

To answer the OP:
Sambar Deer antler is a favorite of mine due to thick, dense walls, color and a minimum of pith core compared to other deer species.
The trick is to find the right piece for a specific blade. Sometimes the antler dictates what blade will be best for the availible piece of stag.
When You find the right antler for a good handle, things often gets very clear in how to proceed in making a good knife.

IMGP5248.JPG

IMGP5856 (1).JPG

IMGP6436.jpg
If You can get Your hands on nice stagknives, grab them quickly and start a collection!

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
Tough stuff and beautiful.
I carry a small trapper traditional with stag scales in my pocket every day, with no issues and is a very low end beater knife.
McwUMmd.jpg

Have a few stag handles in my collection, and always wondered about this question too. I mean, I would think stag scales on a full tang would be very durable, but always wondered how good a full stag handle on a large knife with hidden tang would really be under hard use...would worry about cracking. Not that any of mine will be subjected to that, but was always curious.

IMG_5054x.jpg

Sand paper lightly and slowly. Dont get them hot. Stag horn is made of hair. Think mother natures micarta, but not quite as tough.
antler is made of bone, horn is made of keratin (what your hair and nails are made of). Antler is much more dense and durable than horn.

I posted this in maintenance/embellishment thread. This was my first time making antler handle, and I have to say I think it will be durable. This Case fixed blade stacked leather handle was shot, so I put antler handle on it.
soJ0zjt.jpg

view

These are my two favorite knives to hold. You can just tell care was taken to put the right piece in the right orientation for the blades. You can see how dense the pith is. I think these are real Sambar stag.

The little skinner was a reward for one career milestone and the Bushmaster was the reward for the next milestone. I think they match and compliment each other well.

Last edited:
Iā€™ve seen some museum knives and hand guns with stag antler handles that were made in the late 1800s, so about 130 years old. They showed some wear and tear but looked to be solid enough to still be used. I think with reasonable care and keeping them dry, clean and some good protectant, stag/ antler would last a life time and more.

Dammit, all these pics are making me feel 'horny' (ba-dum tish!).

I like how stag handles and feels. The ridging isn't just for pleasure, it provides just the right amount of grip, even in wet or clammy circumstances. It's also never too hot or too cold to comfortably grip, no matter the environment or weather.

Sand paper lightly and slowly. Dont get them hot. Stag horn is made of hair. Think mother natures micarta, but not quite as tough.
I know this is an old thread but want to say I think you were thinking of horn made of keratin (hair).
No offense meant. Stag is a form of bony growth (bone). Not quite the same as internal bones. A little different makeup I guess to take impact better.
Again no offense. It's easy to forget with so many people calling them deer 'horns' like on cattle instead of antlers.

Stag is technically a type of bone unlike buffalo horn which is keratin (like hair.) I read stag it is some strong, stable, durable stuff. We can all see how unique it looks and some people love it. The stuff makes excellent gripping material and last a very long time if cared for. It is generally ethically sourced without killing animals or damaging the environment. India Sambar stag is the most dense and desirable but is limited in supply these days. The other stuff that is available now is more porous light weight and not as durable however itā€™s likely good enough.

Last edited:
Back