Recommendation? Stainless chopper/cleaver/slicer kitchen knife?

I'm looking for your recommendation for a chopper/slicer knife or two, one for myself, another for a good friend. We process hard vegetables, half frozen meat and fish, when we meal prep for the week. I've been using an unknown stainless steel cleaver (too chippy, definitely don't want any steel pieces in my food) and another knife that tends to roll in no time. The knives probably also rolled/chipped when it hit the cutting board (plastic).

After much frustration, I think it's about time I invest a bit more in kitchen. We prefer to not overspend, but willing to pay a reasonable price if it will last many more years to come.

Thank you for you input.

No personal experience but the victorinox fibox line seems to get good reviews overall and are reasonably priced. I've read they use the same stainless steel used in the German knives made in soligen (x50crmov15) but are thinner. My own experience with that steel in Zwilling knives has been good although different manufacturers can get different characteristics out of the same steel so how useful that comparison is idk. They have an assortment of sizes and types like cleaver and large cooks knives that may be what your looking for.

What are you using as a cutting board?

EDIT: Just noticed you use plastic.

Wood is better in some respects.
Look up online studies about cutting boards. UC Davis did one that is very interesting and a real eye opener.

Last edited:
I have a Zelite Infinity chopper that I am pleased with, but I only had it about a year. It is heavy and sharp and seems to hold its edge. I mostly cut/chop chickens and turkeys in half. It is overkill for chopping parsley though. It was around forty-five bucks.

Mr. Wilson

Check out some of the big cleavers on Baryonyx knife website. Maybe message @FortyTwoBlades (Benjamin) and see what he recommends.

The Friedrich Dick cleaver seems like it might do the trick for you.
9" trimming knife
https://www.baryonyxknife.com/frdi9trknwib.html

Professional Cleaver
https://www.baryonyxknife.com/frdiimeprcl.html

The Angelo B titan might be a fine option as well but I don't know the steel.
https://www.baryonyxknife.com/anbstkn.html

I'm not sure on you're cleaning habits for your knives but carbon steels can be pretty good for such a rough use application in the kitchen as long as you're willing to clean and dry after you're done.

I use a Ontario Field knife that I modified. I thinned the blade a little, added some belly to it and remade the handle. It is 1095 steel. Works well for a GP knife that I've also use on frozen meat and veggies, batoned it through frozen chubs of ground meat with out any problem.

I was able to snag a Shun Meat Cleaver out of AUS10a and it's awesome. Not my most used Shun but I can slice and chop the crap out of frozen meat and fish. The edge is acute enough to do normal slicing as well and it has a sharpish tip.

Hard to find in stock but very durable and LIGHT, unlike many German meat cleavers; highly recommend.

Back