Stainless Correction

In the recent thread, "Some Questions", I had stated Randall is using 440C on most knives and ATS-34 on smaller knives using 3/16 stock blades. I got to thinking that in a previous post I had said Randall had stopped using ATS-34. So I went back and reviewed that post which was in September, 2002. I had said that Randall had stopped using ATS-34 in that post.

So this morning, February 10, 2003, I called Gary Randall and here is an update.

Randall currently is using 440B and 440C stainless, on most knives, except the smaller stainless models, in 3/16 blade stock, which are made of ATS34. Randall forges the 440 blades as always. The ATS-34 knives are made by stock removal mostly but a few may be forged if the blade needs to be wider. They have stopped ordering 1/8 inch ATS-34 which is used mainly on the Model 10 series.

Gary also stated that a high carbon 440B steel is about the same as a low carbon 440C steel. So, depending on the carbon content of the order analysis, they may order either 440B or 440C.

Best regards,

Rhett Stidham

Back