Stainless steel and humidity

I’m importing a bunch of stainless steel blades from the USA (S35VN) as it’s winter there and summer in my country is corrosion a worry for them in transit with the temperature change? Thanks.

I’m importing a bunch of stainless steel blades from the USA (S35VN) as it’s winter there and summer in my country is corrosion a worry for them in transit with the temperature change? Thanks.
I think they'll be fine. I've only had s35vn rust on me after being submerged and left to sit wet and even then it wasn't anything to write home about.

I wouldn't expect corrosion to be an issue unless perchance they are shipped by container ship instead of air.

Seen some manufacturing parts surface shipped in containers which were evidently not sufficiently waterproof. We had bags of desiccant in the containers and at the far end you could squeeze water out of desiccant bags.

I wouldn't expect corrosion to be an issue unless perchance they are shipped by container ship instead of air.

Seen some manufacturing parts surface shipped in containers which were evidently not sufficiently waterproof. We had bags of desiccant in the containers and at the far end you could squeeze water out of desiccant bags.
Yeah they are coming by air thankfully, how did the parts fare after being exposed to ocean and rain water?

Wipe the blades with something like RIG.
I can put my own protection on them when they arrive, what’s rig? I’ve just been informed they were shipped coated in wd40 so I guess that’s not a bad short term rust inhibitor.

RIG [ Rust Inhibiting Grease ] a preservative grease that I have used for many years , popular with gun owners . I would be much happier with it than WD40. One thin layer willdo the job.

Sounds like it’s pretty corrosion resistant. How long did you have them submerged?
Anywhere from a few hours to all day. Swam with it multiple times in pools and river/lakes and butchered animals and put it in a bowl with bloody soapy water for hours.

RIG [ Rust Inhibiting Grease ] a preservative grease that I have used for many years , popular with gun owners . I would be much happier with it than WD40. One thin layer willdo the job.
Ah yeah sounds like some good stuff. Ive actually had some cold steel 3V shipped over that had some sort of grease on it but there was some surface rust on the edge.

Back