Stainless Voyager

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
It seems there is some interest in a stainless Voyager.

I would like an idea how much interest so I can get an idea how much steel to buy.

3/16" CPM 154 is the steel planned.

If you think you might be interested in one comment here.

I can do a sign-up later on after the steel has been purchased.

Thanks

Chris

IMG_20170526_183812_531.jpg

I am interested in a 3/16" CPM 154 stainless Voyager.

It should be just about right for me here in the generally low humidity mountains of central Idaho, capable but not too heavy. About 20 years ago I spent a total of 15 days in the field with Greg Davenport (former USAF SERE instructor, and, later, host of a survival TV series) with one of my sons for winter and summer wilderness survival and navigation training. He thought he wanted to be an Army Ranger or Special Forces officer, and I couldn't tell him no because of what I (and my family for generations) had done in the military. The training took place on the flanks of Mt Adams on the we(s)t slope of the Cascade Mountains in Washington state. I used a Busse Steel Heart-E, 7.5" of 1/4" steel (my son used a Battle Mistress at 9.5") which were great at splitting to prepare the (always) wet, large wood in that area for making fire and shelter. Even after having the handle modified for comfort, and stripping all of the coating off the blade I rarely carried it elk hunting in the same country (20's to high 30's, snow rain mix, windy in November) when I might have really needed it because it was too heavy. So I think the Voyager hits the sweet spot. I came through a survival situation many years ago in the Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness Area (November 0 deg at night, snow, etc) without nearly as good a knife (a story for another day), and an "almost" situation last fall elk hunting when I had an awkward fall at night in rough country, torqueing my knee and breaking an ankle (I walked out, using trekking poles). So I know it can happen, and like to be prepared, always the tradeoff between staying light so you can cover lots of ground in high, steep country chasing the elusive wapiti, yet having what you need if things go sideways - even more of a challenge now since I am considerably over 21 :) with an impressive orthopedic history thanks to basketball, rowing, rugby, armored cavalry reconnaissance, rodeo (15 years as a semi-pro, ending at age 51), team roping, skiing, elk hunting and then there was the time I got seriously rear-ended in the car.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks, Chris!

PS For more on the first week of the wilderness survival training mentioned you can go here https://bladeforums.com/threads/simply-survival-and-busse.179323/

Last edited:
FWIW Buck W and Buck_W are the same person. I have not been active for a long time, and I couldn't log in under my old user name at first.

I'm going to try to get these merged into one account.

Last edited:
Hi Chris. I've been holding out for a 3V Voyager (pbubsy, very jealous of you my friend!!) but it looks like that may or may not happen. I'd be interested in one of these stainless versions although I'm not dialed in on the price point and options. I've always admired your blades, time to admire one in-hand. Cheers sir.

Hi Chris. I've been holding out for a 3V Voyager (pbubsy, very jealous of you my friend!!) but it looks like that may or may not happen. I'd be interested in one of these stainless versions although I'm not dialed in on the price point and options. I've always admired your blades, time to admire one in-hand. Cheers sir.

I would not write off a 3V run yet.
There are quite a few projects/knives I want to make, but am limited on time to get them all done.
Hopefully when my youngest starts preschool this fall I can start getting more knives cranked out.

Price will likely be in the $375 range.
Options will be basically different handle materials and liners.
Will the 3v blades be in the same price range? Also will the cpm154 blades be a fall timeline as well?

This is looking very promising.
I am thinking a run of 10 or 12.
My plan is to order material after Blade Show.

Might even get a friend of mine to make me a CAD file so I can get them Water Jet cut.

Chris,
Any chance a guy could supply his own scales? If so, what dims on the blanks?

Bill

Back