Stan Wilson Advisor III - a making of thread

Hi,

some time ago I lurked around in a flashlight collectors forum (another of my hobbies) and saw a picture of a knife, that really completely took my breath.
I had never before seen such a wonderful knife, and I was already collecting knives these days...
I found out that it was an Advisor III made by Stan Wison and here it is:

advisor.jpg

The very same day I contacted Stan by mail, had a nice discussion with him and for sure ordered my own Advisor.

Looking at all the other knifes he ever made at his great website, I fell in love with Bertie Rietveld's Dragonskin Damascus as well as with Mammoth Tooth scales.
So my dream combination was found very quickly.

Stan, who is always making one complete knife after another, told me about 10-12 month to wait until he can start the work at my knife.

Finally it took somewhat longer because Stan moved his workshop during this waiting period and also it is not too easy to get some of Berties rare Dragonskin Damascus, which he does not produce too often.
We also did not find a pair of Mammoth Tooth scales that really met my taste - finally I found such a pair myself at an internet shop, got them shipped to me in Germany and then sent them back to Stan.
Here they are:

scales.jpg

So earlier this year all materials for my knife were complete and last week Stan sent me an email telling me that he start making my knife.

We both found that it would be a nice idea to show Stan's work and the progress of the knive in a "making of" thread here in the forum.
And that is what I am now doing here I hope youlike it.
Please excuse my poor english, but for me it is a foreign language and I am really trying my best.

All further comments to the work progress pictures are from Stan himself, sent to me together with the pictures.

Lets start with a picture of Stan in his new workshop and with the material for my knife on his desk.

stan.jpg

Here is the Damascus with the blade and spine marked out for rough cutting. Whenever I finish a knife I trace all the parts, if I need to duplicate the same blade shape I then copy the tracing and cut out paper templates for that particular variation of the knife.

1.jpg

I sanded a strip of Titanium to remove all manufacturing marks and scratches, made sure it is nice and flat. here it is marked out and ready for cutting.

2.jpg

I cover the back side of the ti so to not scratch it up when cutting or sanding, I have the front liner rough cut to shape and I will leave the back one as it is for now.

3.jpg

I drilled the pivot hole and one of the pin holes in the top liner and now I will transfer those 2 holes to the back liner.

4.jpg

The 2 liners can now be pinned together.

5.jpg

Band saw off the excess from the bottom liner.

6.jpg

Then to the belt grinder and sand close to the lines.

7.jpg

To be continued... Jochen

Last edited:
Part II

I cut out the blade and spine are rough cut.

8.jpg

Then ground close to the final shape.

9.jpg

They are a little thicker than I want them so it's surface ground closer to the final dimension.

10.jpg

The blade and spine are profiled to fit, 2 holes are drilled into the spine and it can be pinned to the liner.
Here it is closed, I still need to take a little off the inside of the spine.

11.jpg

The back of the blade is sand down till I get a nice fit against the spine and the tip of the blade is as high as it should be.

12.jpg

Now I will pin the knife together completely and sand the back of the blade, spine and liners down to the line.

13.jpg

Next I will drill the screw holes for the frame.

14a.jpg

Holes have been drilled with a # 55 drill, this is the tap size for a 0-80 screw.

14.jpg

The top liner and the spine need to be drilled out to clearance size, I will remove the back liner and drill the top liner and spine as one .

15.jpg

Every hole that is drill gets deburred, I have a small drill pres set up just for this. I use an 1/8 " carbide spade bit for most holes.
All my drill presses and many other machines are set up with fott pedals, step on the petal and press the part into the bit.

16.jpg

To be continued ...

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Very nice looking materials for your knife. And outstanding looking work from Stan Wilson.

Part III

Next I will tap the holes in the back liner, here is my tapping setup. It is one of the old "turn your hand drill into a drill press things"
I took out the spring and mounted a cordless screwdriver in it.

17.jpg

Tapping the liners.

18.jpg

Next I will counter bore the top liners for the screws. My main drill press is a mill/drill with a digital downfeed readout.
Zero the drill bit onto the liner and counter bore to the exact depth needed.
I use a #40 drill bit for this and I will turn the head of a flat head screw down to size.

20.jpg

Screw hole have been drilled, counterbored and tapped.

21.jpg

Next I go to the mini lathe to turn down some screws.

22.jpg

Turning down the screw heads.

23.jpg

After the heads have been turned down I want to shorten the heads a little. I have a plate to mount the screws into for this.

24.jpg

After a quick hit on the disc sander.

25.jpg

I can now screw the frames together. My screws are now slightly recessed below the liner.

26.jpg

The screws are still too long so I clip them off with a modified wire cutter and sand then flush.

27.jpg

To be continued ...

Part IV

Next is cutting out the bolsters, I have them marked out on the Damascus.

28.jpg

Cutting the bolsters.

29.jpg

30.jpg

Next I will rough in the dovetail angle on the bolsters.

31.jpg

Bolsters are roughed out.

32.jpg

I will now surface grind the dovetails, I have an angle fixture just for this.

34.jpg

I clamp the bolster to the fixture.

35.jpg

Making sparks with the surface grinder.

36.jpg

Perfectly flat dovetail.

37.jpg

Next I will use a filing jig to set my bolsters.

33.jpg

To be continued ...

Part V

Line up the filing jig to the bolster line and tighten it down.

38.jpg

A few drops of super glue and the front bolsters are in place

39.jpg

Move the jig to the line for the back bolsters.

40.jpg

More super glue and now the back bolsters ire in place.

41.jpg

Remove the jig and now I can carefully disassemble the knife.

42.jpg

With the bolsters glued to the liners I go back to the drill press and I drill the screw holes through the liners into the bolsters.

43.jpg

When all the holes have been drilled a sharp tap on the bench will pop the bolsters off the liners. An acetone bath dissolves all the super glue.

44.jpg

Now I can tap the bolsters, first I will give each hole a slight chamfer to help in tapping. Here one hole is chamfered.

45.jpg

I made a depth guide for doing the blind tapped holes, I set the depth according to how deep the hole is drilled.
In this case the holes in the bolsters were drilled .060 deep I set set the depth guide to .050

47.jpg

First hole is tapped, the guide has bottomed out evenly across the back of the bolster.

48.jpg

To be continued ...

Part VI

Counter boring the liners for the bolster screws. I will modify 8 more screws like I did the frame screws.

46.jpg

Bolsters are screws in place.

49.jpg

Bolsters have been ground close to the liners, I will assemble the knife and grind them right to the liners.

50.jpg

Profiled and ready for the next phase. Surface grind the blade, filework and heat treat.

51.jpg

52.jpg

To be continued ...

First off, ArsMachina, thank you for your thread. It is VERY compelling indeed.

I'm a Stan Wilson fanboy, and this WIP (Work In Process) tutorial supports this! :D

Stan, your work is SO clean.

Coop

What a great thread. I am always amazed at how much precision there is in a folding knife. This is a real treat.
Thanks!

Interesting thread, thanks for posting.:thumbup:

Beautiful knife.

Kind regards,

Jos

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this. Especially how the pivot pin gets installed with the bolsters screwed on from the inside.

Alistair

First off, ArsMachina, thank you for your thread. It is VERY compelling indeed.

I'm a Stan Wilson fanboy, and this WIP (Work In Process) tutorial supports this! :D

Stan, your work is SO clean.

Coop

+1 :thumbup:
I'm also VERY impressed by Stan Wilson's work. I met him at his table at Blade 2008 and his knives were not only clean, they were as SMOOTH in operation as could be imagined. Handling his folders were like precision jewels.

Looking forward to seeing the complettion.

Peter

Thanks for all your positive feedback!
This shows me it was a good idea to make such a thread.
After ordering the knife I told Stan about my idea and am very happy that he agreed.
Finally he has a lot of extra work to make all these wonderful pictures!

I will continue this thread as soon as I get new pictures and explaining text from Stan.

Jochen

Thanks much - we so rarely get to see folder WIPs - I'm enjoying this one.

Roger

PART VII

The pivot hole in the blade gets reamed to 3/16.

53.jpg

The Front bolsters get recessed for the pivot screw.

54.jpg

55.jpg

Back to the lathe and turn the pivot screws.

56.jpg

ready to be threaded

57.jpg

I could cut the threads with the lathe but it is a pain to change all the gears so I will just use a die.

58.jpg

Threads are cut

59.jpg

After the screw is parted off I clean up the head and using a jewelers saw cut a slot.

60.jpg

Next I need to make a stepped pivot, 3/16" diameter with 1/8 diameter steps at each end.
The 3/16" section needs to be as tall as the spine is thick, so mic the spine.

61.jpg

The step pivot is turned.

62.jpg

To be continued ...

PART VIII

Cutting the dovetail for the signature plate.

64.jpg

65.jpg

Ready for some filework. I mount the blade and spine to one of the liners, a filing jig and the other liner act as a spacer to get the work
away from the vise. the filing jig also contacts the tang of the blade acting as a lock to keep the blade open.

66.jpg

Marking out the first cuts.

67.jpg

First side is almost done, I will now mount the blade and spine to the opposite side of the liner and do the second side to match the first.

68.jpg

Filing away, I would be lost without my optivisor.

69.jpg

Filework is done, ready for heat treat.

70.jpg

I do all my Damascus heat treating in a propane forge. To eliminate scale I coat all the parts with Turco first.

71.jpg

Since the bolsters have no through holes I need to hold them during heat treat so I use a the end of one of the screws I cut off for the bolsters earlier,
I will screw both bolsters together and hang them from a wire.

72.jpg

A nice even coat of Turco on the blade

75.jpg

To be continued ...

PART IX

I'll heat up my quench oil.

73.jpg

Light the forge, it's getting warm.

77.jpg

I do my heat treating after it get dark so I can better see the color, I tried to get a good shot of the process but this is the best I could get.
Blade is getting some color.

78.jpg

All the parts have been hardened and cooled, letting the excess oil drip off.

79.jpg

If the Turco is applied properly and not overheated most of the black will wipe off with a paper towel.

80.jpg

I quickly cleaned up the bolsters and spine with some 0000 steel wool, I hit the blade with a scrap of 2000 grit paper I picked up off the floor.

81.jpg

Ready to be tempered, I always heat treat all the Damascus parts to eliminate any variables in final finish and color.

To be continued ...

Back