Standard griptilian vs g10 cmp20sv griptilian

In terms of feel, is the difference significant? Aside from the superior blade steel is there any other appreciable difference between the two?

G10 version is also an open back construction so it will be "easier to clean" but it also lends itself to collecting a lot more pocket lint in my experience.

I just bought a G10 version. I think it feels much better in hand than the standard one. I could never bring myself to buy a regular Griptilian because of how it feels in hand. The -1 version is the way to go.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Would you say that regular griptilian feels cheap? This is a criticism I come across often and unfortunately I dont know of any local retailers that carry them, so Iam unable to actually hold one.

I like the standard Grippie handle material, Noryl GTX -- it's incredibly tough stuff, works great in cold weather, good grip, lightweight. You could hammer on it all day without making a dent.

Honda Civic and Lexus RC.
I favor the Civic tho as it is grippier and a bit thicker, and I carry the Lexus sometimes when I go out as there is a nice deep pocket clip. Really good fit and finish on mine, it's a snazzy piece with nice spacers.
Both can be hair popping sharp, and it's easier to get that result on the 154CM.

fJ4Vamk.jpg

AU3P5aT.jpg

I never had the standard grip so I don't know how it feels in hand. The g10 20cv griptilians both full size and mini feel really good in my hand. And honestly I do not need them to be more hand filling as these handles are sufficiently thick to me already. I believe the open construction also reduces the hollow sound/echo of opening the knife.

I have both and honestly the regular grip does feel a bit cheap compared to the g-10 but, as previously mentioned it seems to fill out in your hand a bit better. I wear xl gloves though, if my hands were a little smaller I would say the g-10 is 100x better....also you get the deep carry clip with the 551-1 and better steel...
Edit: I recently purchased an M390 Grip (551-1702) which is similar to the 551-1 but it is not nearly as smooth opening/closing as my other 4 Grips. ...don’t buy it. The 551-1 is my favorite for sure.

Last edited:
Guess I'm the only one, but I'm not a fan of the smoothness of the g10.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Would you say that regular griptilian feels cheap? This is a criticism I come across often and unfortunately I dont know of any local retailers that carry them, so Iam unable to actually hold one.

I Have the Standard Griptilian, while there is Absolutely nothing wrong with the scales they do have that not good cheap "hollow feeling" but it is only an impression, they are tough as nails. I sanded down all Gimping on mine and the cheap feeling is less overwhelming now when I use it. I Guess I could disassemble it and fill the scales with PC-7 that should get rid of that funky feeling.

If you want best slicing grip, it's the HG hole version. The 20cv hole one is thicker behind the edge. I don't think it's hollow ground. It's been awhile so don't quote me, I lost interest in these since.

Yes both 551-1 abd 556-1 have flat blade not hollow grind. Behind the edge thickness is not bad, feels thinner than my Spyderco PM2 DLC s30v.

The G10 version will give you that feel of "luxury," while the plastic handle one is very tool-ish.

Back