Standard single hilt

eveled

Gold Member
Which one of these is the “standard single hilt”? What’s the other one called?

Last edited:
Both of these are "standard."
At one time, Randall models 5, 11, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, as well as the Model 12 "Little Bear" came standard with the square-top hilt, though this may not now be the case.
-Steve

Thanks C cut_n_run .

So if I understand you the squared top means it’s an older version? Makes sense the red spacers are darker too.

Does anyone know if there is a cutoff date for the squared version?

Last edited:
eviled and cut n run

What I am about to tell you is 100% guaranteed to be the truth, unless someone tells me I am wrong!!!
Today hilts are rounded, BUT you can get a squared hilt, with no up charge. Has it always been this way, I have no idea.
I do not order many new RMK, but when I do I like rounded hilt. Easier on thumbs or fore finger, in my opinion.

Rod

Well, an update, with no rules.

“Back in the 80’s, thumb notches on a knife equaled squared hilts.
Around 1983, standard squared hilts were on Models 5, 11, 12-6 LB, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23.”

I got this info from others on another forum and doing some of my own research. There does not seem to be hard and fast rules, other than today’s knives, come with rounded hilts, unless you ask for square hilts.

As I said before, all this is true and absolute, until I am proven WRONG, which is likely. LMAO

Thank you for that info. On Randall’s web site the knives look to still have the squared hilts. But we all know that site hasn’t changed in years (except the prices). They make no mention of the two styles of the “standard hilt”. Now that I have them both in hand. I still don’t know which one I like more. Lol.

eveled
When I handle a “squared hilt” RMK, I find the corner of the hilt a distraction?? Perhaps that is not the correct word, but my finger/thumb does not move as smoothly as on a round hilt. And maybe I am making too much of that feeling. Any new RMK I order, has a round hilt.

It seems to help it index better. With my thumb on top of the blade. The squared part sits in the first knuckle of my thumb. Being flat It seems to hold the knife square in my grip.

I think I like the rounded better though. When shifting grip. As I roll my thumb around from the side of the handle to the top of the blade the corner grabs. I definitely see what you mean. Distraction is a good description.

Rounded is standard now, with squared being a 'no cost, no additional option charged' option if requested. Now, to stir pot, the reverse holds true with end caps; the standard end cap being squared (if there's a standard end cap ordered, or already in place), with a rounded, thin, or rounded/thin being an 'no cost, no additional option charged' option if requested. There are a few others too; all black or red spacers, saw teeth / no saw teeth on Model #18's, and a few I'm probably missing. Personally, I like the metal spacer upgrade for an additional $20, but you won't find that in the catalog either.

Interestingly enough, in the catalog, under the Model #22 listing, it simply says (something like) other handle options are available; some of the nicest RMK's I've owned were tricked out Model #22's. This one only had three options (metal spacers, stag handle, NS end plate), because the SS blade and NS hilt are standard. Not sure about the thumb notches, I'd have to check. But I had another with nicer stag, finger grooves, NS end plate, a lined lanyard hole, a waxed no-hone sheath, and a squared NS hilt; it had thumb notches too. The squared hilt and waxed sheath didn't count towards the current five option limit.

Model 22 Stag.jpg

Thanks Sheldon. I wish their site was better there are a lot of gaps. I also wish they had a knife builder page were you could add options and build the knife virtually. The Buck one is pretty neat.

Two questions.

Was the squared hilt the old standard.

Do the Darker red spacers on my knife indicate an age?

Thanks again.

Ed,

Yes, and maybe. Some red spacers started out dark, then lightened. Some darkened as they absorbed stuff. Some of the same thickness started out darker than the batch before or after. Same holds true the blue and white spacers. It's just part of the age approximation equation.

Back