Photos Stanley Axes, Hatchets, Tools - Show & Tell

There's a few mechanics tools, a bevel gauge, and two squares M.I.A. but this is most of mine. Please excuse this mods, but if anyone needs any of the parts on the table for one of your planes, p.m. me.
DSC_0671.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

DSC_0673.jpg
Hey A17! I need something, but i don't see it on your table?? I have a Stanley no 51 spokeshave but its missing the top set screw. The iron has plenty of life left and I'd really like to find one! Thanks , whether you can help or not!

Reactions: A17
Sorry, I only have thumbscrews, not knurled knobs. You could try ebay though.
I also have a no 52? like spokeshave I don't need you could HAVE. All it needs is a new iron or some chips ground out of the old one.

Last edited:
Sorry, I only have thumbscrews, not knurled knobs. You could try ebay though.
I also have a no 52? like spokeshave I don't need you could HAVE. All it needs is a new iron or some chips ground out of the old one.
That would be great! Super nice of you! I wonder if the iron from my no 51 would fit it? How could i repay you for shipping?
I have 3 draw shaves now but only the one spoke shave. The one i have works perfectly for removing varnish from new hafts but its a pain to adjust and doesn't stay put if i get aggressive with it.
Is there any oddball thing you can think of that you need? We could do a swap!

I can't think of anything I need. I got it for free so I figure I might as well pass it on for the purchase price. We can p.m. about shipping as soon as I figure it out.

I can't think of anything I need. I got it for free so I figure I might as well pass it on for the purchase price. We can p.m. about shipping as soon as I figure it out.
Cool man thanks. I can just send you a check for however much shipping is. Very kind of you man!

Pics of the aforementioned shave. The blade is probably toast although it appears to be old enough to save just 'cause. The blade width is 2 1/8 inches.
IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Both of these items just came in the mail today from the bay. Two different sellers but I have been looking for a box to go with my stanley 75 and I finally gave up searching so I went to the auction site. The 75 is in mint condition and it’s made in England. Now I have two! My other one is US stamped. Then there is the cross peen. I have bought a couple of these now but I saw this stanley and the condition and made in England then the price was very good so I went ahead and got it too! I love the hunt and I am normally more patient with finds specific things I’m looking for but if the price is right and it’s a buy it now then he’ll, why not? Thanks for looking!!!

PS: you can somewhat see my haul from JB in the back ground, coming soon :)

Pics of the aforementioned shave. The blade is probably toast although it appears to be old enough to save just 'cause. The blade width is 2 1/8 inches.
IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

If that pitting isn’t too deep when you flatten the back of that iron you might be able to grind them out. Then square it up, put a 23 degree bevel on it and you got it!

Can any of you Stanley experts shed some light as to the age of this block plane? For $5 I couldn’t walk away from it.

zL0oRw7.jpg

TsBXB28.jpg

Can any of you Stanley experts shed some light as to the age of this block plane?
You will have to wait for a reply from a "Stanley expert", but in the meantime fwiw . . .

pillars-inno-1923.jpg

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/175-years/our-driving-forces/innovation

"In 1923 a new line of tools was developed by Stanley. This line was called FOUR – SQUARE and was promoted to the homeowner or to the Do It Yourself market. The tools were first marketed to the user in 1924."
https://mwtca.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Gristmill_No166_March2017_Medium.pdf

Bob

Can any of you Stanley experts shed some light as to the age of this block plane? For $5 I couldn’t walk away from it.

zL0oRw7.jpg

TsBXB28.jpg
Looks like a variation of a 60 1/2 depending on the bed angle (angle the iron is set at). I would say it is between 1925 and 1950’s. After that the handyman series came out and was their hobbiest brand instead of the “four square”. It is a “low angle plane”. Which means the bevel is placed up instead of down like a normal bench plane. Because of this the bed angle is more acute than a bevel down plane. If it wasn’t it wouldn’t cut, because of the angle of the cutting edge. Out of block planes bevel up planes are much more desirable.

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg
Thanks A17! I cleaned it up and sharpened the iron. In the one photo you can see both the temper line and also that there's some high carbon steel left too!
rQjBWiv.jpg
Wz9jgAN.jpg
Wz9jgAN.jpg

You can see there's s few nicks left but i got most of em.
0CXvp47.jpg

Here you can see both lines. There's life in her yet!
oRh2KRj.jpg
97YLUrT.jpg

That "wingnut"? also fits my other no51 shave too which is awesome. Can't thank you enough! If you ever need something A17 give me a yell.

I could use a spokeshave....:D Actually, another spokeshave related thing for you will be in the mail soon....

Last edited:
A few years ago this was in a box of stuff that was given to me:

A little clean up:

I checked the Stanley website back then and to my surprise they had a knob and adjuster screw. My memory isn't the best, but I seem to recall the parts (including shipping) was ten or so bucks.

The #220 is pretty "plain jane" but this little bugger is a solid little workhorse and the Sweetheart iron is, well . . . sweat.

Bob

Back