Recommendation? Starting a knifemaking shop in Canada/Toronto

Where should ı choose

• İmpossible in canada

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Materials can be pretty pricey here. Living in Niagara it's really easy for me to have materials delivered to a postal box across the boarder and run over to pick it up. The places here that sell steel cost 3 times the amount that they do in the states. That being said, steel is cheap relatively speaking. You can get abrasives for a 2x72 for a similar price but you have way less selection than the US. You can always have it shipped across the boarder but the duty and brokerage fees are a lot. If you'r ordering big quantities the economy of scale may help.

Niagara and Toronto don't really get that cold because we're tempered by the great lakes. Temps do get down to the minus 20's occasionally but I like most people here prefer cold to hot. You can dress for cold. Temps can reach high 30's in the summer. Summers are awesome as it's light out till 10 at night.

Materials can be pretty pricey here. Living in Niagara it's really easy for me to have materials delivered to a postal box across the boarder and run over to pick it up. The places here that sell steel cost 3 times the amount that they do in the states. That being said, steel is cheap relatively speaking. You can get abrasives for a 2x72 for a similar price but you have way less selection than the US. You can always have it shipped across the boarder but the duty and brokerage fees are a lot. If you'r ordering big quantities the economy of scale may help.

Niagara and Toronto don't really get that cold because we're tempered by the great lakes. Temps do get down to the minus 20's occasionally but I like most people here prefer cold to hot. You can dress for cold. Temps can reach high 30's in the summer. Summers are awesome as it's light out till 10 at night.
Don't you have to pay duties when you cross back into Canada with steel you purchased in the states?

occasionally. I have a nexus card and declare everything and 90% of the time I don't have to pay anything. If have more than a couple hundred dollars worth than I usually have to pay but the duties aren't that bad. What sucks is the brokerage fees when having stuff shipped that can sometimes double the cost. I can get AEB-L here but it cost 3 times the amount.
Don't you have to pay duties when you cross back into Canada with steel you purchased in the states?

occasionally. I have a nexus card and declare everything and 90% of the time I don't have to pay anything. If have more than a couple hundred dollars worth than I usually have to pay but the duties aren't that bad. What sucks is the brokerage fees when having stuff shipped that can sometimes double the cost. I can get AEB-L here but it cost 3 times the amount.
Ahhh yeah that makes sense! Good thing you live close to the border :)

Thanks for all of your advice guys. I have decided to get some real equipment and hold a small place in turkey. I decided to learn how to make knives professionaly. Then ı will consider again the canada option. I learned there is such tbings as a self employment visa and they want you to make an economicaly or culturaly contribiution. And the application time can go as far as 2 years. And they want an at least 15.000CAD, so ı will have to learn and start in gere first. But time will show my way.

Thanks to all of you
Mert

Back