Starting My First Batch of 80CrV2

redsquid2

Bastard Son Of Antiochus IV
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
42306493144_ea64f12143_b.jpg

The top four are .110" . The bottom one is .128". I am excited, because I have never use this steel before.

Last edited:
Also an update on the Bora 7 purple belts: amazing how cool they run, even on my 2X42.

After oil quench. The clip point (my favorite of this batch) is not in this picture.

30985282917_3a519f7fab_b.jpg

Here is the clip point. The picture was taken a few days ago, and I might finish the handle today.

45352436914_a59900a88b_b.jpg[img]

These are all part of the same batch, 80CrV2, except for the second one from the right, which will be a D2 camp knife.

45164953795_1ef2bc496d_b.jpg

My EDC pattern made in this batch of 80CrV2. Here it just needs a little cleanup and some more stropping on the blade, and it will be ready to ship out to my friend.

Here is the clip point with natural bubinga and G10 liners. I believe this shows one application of tung oil finish. It will have four to five applications when I am done.

The handles are mystery wood. I need to label my wood scales before I put them on the pile. The blades are 3".

31163310937_69c6e3db47_b.jpg[img]

Also, I want somebody to say, "Hey, Andy, those are great knives! Keep up the good work!"

The main thing I see that you need to do is round the front of the scales more. The front is "stiff". That 90° angle will be both uncomfortable on a finger in some grips, and likely to chip.

Other than that - "Hey, Andy, those are great knives! Keep up the good work!"

For sure man! Keep it up, they’ll only get better with experience, and those are pretty nice!

From a guy who's never yet made a knife, these look nice :)

I want to ask about the steel though. Being in EU, I can't get AISI steel. 80CrV2 should be quite forgiving for beginners, right? What did you think of it?

From a guy who's never yet made a knife, these look nice :)

I want to ask about the steel though. Being in EU, I can't get AISI steel. 80CrV2 should be quite forgiving for beginners, right? What did you think of it?

It was pretty easy, in terms of cutting, grinding and sanding. I am sure it came to me annealed, because I got it from Alpha. I do my grinding and sanding up to 400 grit before heat treatment.

I have never done my own heat treatment, so I cannot comment on that part of it.

And this might sound odd, but I was working with some D2 at about the same time, and I found it easier to work than the 80CrV2.

Back