Stay out of the Custom Shop at night, y'all

Crappy photo, but will give you an idea. Black liners, hardware, mini-deep clip. Blue backspacer. Should have probably blacked the 20CV blade, but couldn’t decide at the time. If in doubt, leave the blade bare as far as I’m concerned.

It doesn’t quite come together like I’d hoped. But this is about the best it’ll ever look, probably. Because it’s going to be a user. I’m hoping the brass pivot collars will patina. If they’re real brass. Read somewhere they are. ‘Course, if I’m carrying it all the time, it might keep the brass polished. We’ll see.

Might get its little brother next month.

05D0E693-6861-489E-9FBC-4B18EC0F1505.jpeg

Looks pretty cool! I think you did good by keeping the blade plain. Only part I did black on mine was the liners with orange scales and spacer. Gives it a fixed blade look.

Ok, another question for you, you sharpen knives for people, bet you see lots of different steels, of the Benchmade custom shop ones which would you pick for a large Griptilian sheapsfoot?

Personally I’d go for 20cv pretty much every time. Benchmade does a great job heat treating it, and I’m not crazy for M4, especially when it means always having coated blade from Benchmade.

I realize I’m not the one who was asked, but 20CV is my current favorite steel. Benchmade’s D2 is pretty good, too. S30V would be my last choice.

I realize I’m not the one who was asked, but 20CV is my current favorite steel. Benchmade’s D2 is pretty good, too. S30V would be my last choice.
Just out of curiosity, why do you like D2 more than S30V? Is Benchmade’s HT on the D2 just really good? Thanks.

This does look great. Looks like it would be a standard offering. May have to
copy. :)

vwSZc0S.jpg

It’s so awesome, y'all.

Just out of curiosity, why do you like D2 more than S30V? Is Benchmade’s HT on the D2 just really good? Thanks.

The D2, just like they say, seems to be a little tougher. Like it isn’t chipping or wearing, just rolling, maybe? It seems I can get a good edge back on it by just stropping, most of the time. This is on a couple of Sieberts that I’ve kinda convexed the edges. I’ve got S30V from several makers, and none of them seem to hold an edge like I think they should.

20CV doesn’t exactly strop well. But it seems to keep a shaving edge forever.

Back