Stealth Membership

Hiding from wives who might be trying to figure out if there is a correlation between prices of what their husbands are reading and sudden expenses that may come up?

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Dealer / Materials Provider
I didn't even know there was such a thing. I don't know if why is important. Its not for me. Sounds like its not for Munk. Why is deeply philosophical.

Why not?

Not deeply philosophical, for me, anyway. Not important either.
I suspect some folks like the control.

It would be more fruitfull to ask why some member's vehicles are capable of going 140 mph while the top speed limit on land in the US is about 75. (Montana)

munk

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Dealer / Materials Provider
To me the question 'Why?' is always philosophical. The deepest question there is. When I was a kid my dad told me his philosophy final was one question. You guessed it. Why? He said he wrote why not and took off. Got an A. I always thought he was pulling my leg. When I think of it though, 'Why?' is just about the deepest most personal question you can ask a person. Look at your example. Why do people buy expensive sports cars that they can't really ever open up properly?

Someone might think it gives an edge in DOTD sharking ... but they'd be mistaken there. Few things beat simply giving in to your addiction, and living online when Yangdu's likely to drop the notice!

I don't know about this one guys...I used to be "big brother", but I see no advantage to stealth mode. Anything I do here, at home, or on the job teaching, anyone is welcome to watch....all old narcs are used to being under the microscope all the time (people used to think we could be bought...that just brought another charge along with dealing, conspiracy or whatnot ). Watch out for the whatnot! :D

Darn. If you can't buy a Narcotics Officer what is this world coming to? Oh, that's in Mexico.

munk

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I think there's a base assumption here....that people using the so-called "stealth mode" have something to hide...or something to protect, etc.

I can think of a few good reasons:

1: Quick Poster - just wants to get in, get out.
2: Unassuming - doesn't like to call attention to oneself.
3: Voyeur - enjoys "spying" on others while remaining aloof.
4: Tease - makes a comment, then "disappears".
5: Shark - can watch DOTD threads undetected by fellow feeders.
6: Minimalist - gets by with the least
7: Hardnose - doesn't like to be called out by those who check "who's online".

(I'm sure there are more...none of the above fit me :p)

So...on the flipside...as I'm sitting here typing...I notice that "soupah" is viewing this thread. Does that make me change what I'm typing? Does it really matter? I mean, yes, soupah matters as a person...but regarding the discussion...really matters only upon posting.

So, for me...while it's entertaining to see all the different names at the bottom of the forum, or a DOTD thread...it's just that - entertainment.

It neither contributes, nor takes away from what the Cantina is. Even if it's empty...the "echoes" of our many discussions live on whether we show up to reread them or not.

Daniel Koster said:
I think there's a base assumption here....that people using the so-called "stealth mode" have something to hide...or something to protect, etc.

I can think of a few good reasons:

1: Quick Poster - just wants to get in, get out.
2: Unassuming - doesn't like to call attention to oneself.
3: Voyeur - enjoys "spying" on others while remaining aloof.
4: Tease - makes a comment, then "disappears".
5: Shark - can watch DOTD threads undetected by fellow feeders.
6: Minimalist - gets by with the least
7: Hardnose - doesn't like to be called out by those who check "who's online".

(I'm sure there are more...none of the above fit me :p)

Or in a case like mine it's similar to those who ride Harleys that say, "If I have to explain, *You* wouldn't understand.":rolleyes: :p

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Yvsa said:
..."If I have to explain, *You* wouldn't understand."

Well said, Yvsa....hit the nail on the head. ;)

Svashtar

Gold Member
Daniel Koster said:
Well said, Yvsa....hit the nail on the head. ;)

I would respond to this but then I would have to uncloak and expose myself to do so.

Oops! :eek: :eek:

Back to lurk mode... :D

Svashtar said:
I would respond to this but then I would have to uncloak and expose myself to do so.

Oops! :eek: :eek:

Back to lurk mode... :D
PLEASE don't uncloak and expose yourself.