1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Steel / Optimum sharpening grit

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by HKGuns, Nov 24, 2019.

1. HKGuns

HKGuns

Jan 28, 2019
    I don't know enough to provide the data and I don't know that I've seen this anywhere else on this site.

Seems it would be useful information for a guide that has a list of Steels and the optimum grit to stop at when sharpening. Realizing some of it may be use dependent.

I've read S30V likes a toothy edge. 600 Max? 400 Max?
    Which steels are best served by a mirror polished edge?

Post your experience and I can try to capture it when there is a consensus, if that is possible.

2. mycough

mycough Basic Member Basic Member

May 20, 2007
    I like my m390 finished at 400 then stropped on balsa with 1um diamond paste. Didnt want to leave you hanging Man...

HKGuns likes this.
  3. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    I've found that steels with large carbides -- D2, S30V -- work best with a toothy edge. I wouldn't go beyond 600 grit (DMT red). Extra Coarse (220) works fine on those steels, too. Some of the more recent powder steels -- CTS-XHP, S35Vn, S110V, seem to have a finer grain structure and will take a finer polished edge, though I prefer a coarser edge on those, too. Steels with low carbide content -- high carbon steels and most non-powder stainless grades (4116, 12C27) will take a very fine edge. I usually finish those with DMT Extra Fine (1200 grit) or an ancient Black Arkansas bench stone.

HKGuns likes this.
  4. HKGuns

HKGuns

Jan 28, 2019
    Thanks for your responses. May not be as interesting as I initially thought.

oh well, no biggie.

mycough likes this.
  5. mycough

May 20, 2007
    I have started worse threads, I found it interesting Man.

HKGuns likes this.
  6. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    You might get more response on this question over in the maintenance, tinkering and embellishment sub forum. Lot's of sharpening discussion going on over there!

HKGuns likes this.
  7. mycough

May 20, 2007
    Perhaps a kindly admin guy can move this, I am hoping for some more participation.