Steel used in Original Ka-Bar

Hello,
I've search the web and I haven't found any answers.
Does anyone know what kind of steel was used to make the original Ka-Bar knife? I am talking about the WW2 Knife not the ones they make now.
I have one that was my Grandfathers and I was curious.

Thanks
Bubba

Listening to the talk around here gives different opinions about when we actually started grading and typing steel in specific terms. Some will probably say the type of steel used wasn't officially categorized like we do it today. Others will probably say it's the same 1095 steel that we're using today.

Just for the sake of historical correctness:

1) The USMC Mark 2 combat knife was not the "original" KaBar. Union Cutlery used the KaBar trademark before that knife was created..
2) The Kabar was not the original USMC Mark 2 combat knife. Camillus made the original.

Reactions: vba
Listening to the talk around here gives different opinions about when we actually started grading and typing steel in specific terms. Some will probably say the type of steel used wasn't officially categorized like we do it today. Others will probably say it's the same 1095 steel that we're using today.

Thanks I didn't think it was anything outstanding or it would be easier to find out what kind it was.
Not that 1095 is a bad steel.

Thanks I appreciate you're time for answering

Bubba

I have heard the steel of the actual wartime made knives was of poor quality as to save good steel for other uses.

I have heard the steel of the actual wartime made knives was of poor quality as to save good steel for other uses.

That makes sense: anything that a solder is provided with should be possibly cheap and easily discarded, as the solder himself!

That makes sense: anything that a solder is provided with should be possibly cheap and easily discarded, as the solder himself!

Chances are the steel quality and make up varied greatly during the war.

I had a Camillus made USN Mark II and the steel was exceptional! Lost it in the '06 fire. :(

See if you can get this thread moved to the Ka-Bar sub-forum, or the BK&T sub-forum. There are a few members who will be able to tell steel based on date of manufacture all the way back to the beginning:thumbup:

I have a Camillus USMC. I researched the steel a long time ago and as far as I know it's good 1095. It's always acted and sharpened like it too.

I don't think you need to worry much about 'cheap' or 'mystery' steel in a real one. They were made to written military spec by reputable companies---Camillus couldn't keep up with production so it was given other companies as well---so I doubt there was major variation.

I know it's been a great knife for decades.

I have a Camillus USMC. I researched the steel a long time ago and as far as I know it's good 1095. It's always acted and sharpened like it too.

I don't think you need to worry much about 'cheap' or 'mystery' steel in a real one. They were made to written military spec by reputable companies---Camillus couldn't keep up with production so it was given other companies as well---so I doubt there was major variation.

I know it's been a great knife for decades.

Its been a good knife. I haven't used it much. My father used it more than me. It has the USMC ground off of it. You can still make it out with a magnifying glass. I guess my grandfather did that I'm not sure.
I was just wondering what it was made of.
Thanks for all the comments.

Bubba

I have a Camillus Navy Mk 2 made during WWII that has excellent steel. When I bought it at a gun show years back the handle was a total loss so I re-handled it into a user, great knife, holds a good edge, whatever it's made from.

On the cheap steel canard...the blade of my Cattaraugus 225Q is excellent, would be nice if everything one purchased was as good. My kid's M1 rifle is as lethal now as when it was first issued.

I used to own a Camillus USN MK2 and a KaBar, both WW2 vintage. It was definitely a high carbon steel of some sort, not stainless.

Back