Steels descriptions in Jay Fisher website

[non-stainless wasn't safe for food] that's a good load of bull-hockey, there.
Carbon steel has been used for centuries for high-end cooking and is still used today by the highest end sushi cooks (just an example). And if these are not the pickiest population out there about the taste of their food... I'm all for stainless, though, it gets you some peace of mind (much appreciated) in the kitchen. With all that said, me thinks dissing carbon steel comes just off as stoopid.

[non-stainless wasn't safe for food] that's a good load of bull-hockey, there.
Carbon steel has been used for centuries for high-end cooking and is still used today by the highest end sushi cooks (just an example). And if these are not the pickiest population out there about the taste of their food... I'm all for stainless, though, it gets you some peace of mind (much appreciated) in the kitchen. With all that said, me thinks dissing carbon steel comes just off as stoopid.
All those people who used carbon steel on food centuries ago? Dead; every last one of them.

Use carbon steel on food and within a century or sooner you'll be dead too.

A century seems reasonable, with or without carbon steel. Insert [evil laughter) here.

All those people who used carbon steel on food centuries ago? Dead; every last one of them.

Use carbon steel on food and within a century or sooner you'll be dead too.
Lmao, if you post here, the same thing will happen to you, everyone reading this comment in 2020 will be dead in 2120.

Jesus....that means bladeforums is bad for your health:eek:

Life has a 100% chance of death :eek:

That was not exactly the point. Unless you think carbon steel is actually damageable to your health...That would be 100 % stupid. Wait, wait, some day ahead, the additions in steel to make it stainless could be shamed as utterly damageable to human health... Wait for it. The fallacy about drinking water does not deserve any answer, as it is a feeble joke, at best.

Last edited:
Sorry can't reply busy throwing all my carbon steel knives into the burn pit. Crisis averted.

I have an old "Gerber Magnum Folding Hunter" from the mid 1970s made of 440C. It has performed yeoman service for these many years. Far, far superior to the Buck 110s I've owned in edge holding.
I am convinced that 440C can make a very good, but not great, hunting blade if proper HT is applied.

Not my first choice in steel at all, but IME, dsuperior to 440A &B, 420/hc or the AUS series.

Jay doesn't forge his knives.
Pls. take a look at "Sole Authorship" section in Jay's website. That contradicts the above quote. The volume of details Jay has put together in his website speaks a lot about his pride in the craft and desire to be "transparent" to the general public on every aspect of his knifemaking. At the end of the day it should be understood that the opinions and views expressed in the website are Jay's and Jay's alone. We should respect that.
On the same vein, Larrin Thomas' blog has a lot of valuable and well laid out information on metallurgy. Larrin's site keeps an archive of past changes and cites "sources" to support various pieces of information which lends some "credibility".
The "perception of credibility" goes a long way in reassuring users that they've reached a Web site that provides useful information (content) and that there's substance behind that content. At the end of the day we should all remember the famous quote by Ronald Reagan - "Trust, but verify".

Well hot damn, I need to add a LOT more words on my website!

Step 1: Add moar words to website
Step 2: _______________
Step 3: Profit!

Step 2 : Flashy pictures (in the most favorable light !) of big ass titanium swords. And even MOAR words...

I have a materials engineering degree (UK); it’s very bad (or good?) for wanting things made out of good metal.

Be it top end steel for my MTB frame (plus carbon and titanium parts), posh arrows for my bow (ACGs; aluminium/carbon) and decent steel for my blades.

But it all fascinates me; a trip to the old British Steel plant near Swansea in Wales was a real eye opener.
Not so sure about the endless eutectic and peritectic diagrams we had to draw...

Pls. take a look at "Sole Authorship" section in Jay's website. That contradicts the above quote. The volume of details Jay has put together in his website speaks a lot about his pride in the craft and desire to be "transparent" to the general public on every aspect of his knifemaking. At the end of the day it should be understood that the opinions and views expressed in the website are Jay's and Jay's alone. We should respect that.
On the same vein, Larrin Thomas' blog has a lot of valuable and well laid out information on metallurgy. Larrin's site keeps an archive of past changes and cites "sources" to support various pieces of information which lends some "credibility".
The "perception of credibility" goes a long way in reassuring users that they've reached a Web site that provides useful information (content) and that there's substance behind that content. At the end of the day we should all remember the famous quote by Ronald Reagan - "Trust, but verify".

Nowhere on that page does he say he forges his blades. I don't care if blades are forged or trimmed down but the point is, he doesn't say that on that page. And given his penchant for, um, self promotion, I'm sure he'd at least mention this and likely his superior skill.

Nowhere on that page does he say he forges his blades. I don't care if blades are forged or trimmed down but the point is, he doesn't say that on that page. And given his penchant for, um, self promotion, I'm sure he'd at least mention this and likely his superior skill.

"...each sensual kiss of the hammer further imbuing the nascent blade with the warrior's vigor of Thor himself..."

When it comes to performance, high alloy steels are dramatically superior, and they are only made by stock removal and machining, and are not and can not be hand-forged. When someone is buying (or selling) the knife because it's pattern welded damascus or because it has a temper (hamon) line, they are buying it because of appearance only, not performance. The reasons for this are detailed below.”
https://www.jayfisher.com/Style_Knives.htm#Hand-Forged_or_Stock_Removal Machining

Edit: words are bold in the original; I did not change anything

Last edited:
Back