Steels descriptions in Jay Fisher website

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by patrickguignot, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Not sure where that came from but I didn't see it on the page that was mentioned.

But, it surely does seem like the way he'd describe his forging skills...

Smiling likes this.
  2. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Just checked out Jays website and to me it reads like he is a scam artist or delusional.
    Maybe some combination of each?

Mitchell Knives and Smiling like this.
  3. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013

I made it up. Just brainstorming a bunch of new words for my website. Tens upon tens of thousands of them.

4. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Nailed it. :D

5. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    The site is good for a laugh if you're bored.

marrenmiller and Smiling like this.
  6. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    What about knives he make ? Nobody here have one to share experience ?

7. Chefget

Chefget Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    Well made knives, beautifully polished, a lot of gem handles.

The ones I saw were purchased by a bon vivant customer; not a knife collector but liker of shiny, shiny things...fine watches, Cuban cigars (his house got raided by ATF and they were confiscated), engraved pistols, etc.

Lots of smooth filework, gemstones and curved lines; very, very shiny. 440c polished beautifully.

8. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Yeah if you've got a nice mansion in a gated community with granite countertops as far as the eye can see and a maid to keep it all tidy then one of the bejeweled kitchen knives would look very good prominently displayed on the island. Maybe next to a couple Objet d'art to keep the conversation flowing.

I don't know for sure about the other members on here but I"m what you'd term as anti-fancy. If I was getting a kitchen knife it would be carbon with a wood handle; if that dude handled it he'd either burst into flames or melt like a wax dummy.

9. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    He sure does the "objet d'art" stuff and I'm not a fan of that. However, some years ago, he displayed a cleaver and chef knife (in relation with his defense of 440C, if I remember well) and those were just beautiful. In his flashy style, of course, (and price probably even flashier)... Nonetheless, those were splendid knives. And that's my experience with Jay Fisher : he likes 440C, so do I, and he made two very nice kitchen knives that amazed me.

10. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    This is actually excellent (s)words smithing ! Makes me laugh everytime I read it. I could yoink it, don't know yet where or how, sigline ? but this is pure gold. Only with your permission, good Sir.

Mecha likes this.
  11. Polzeyboy

Polzeyboy CHEEKY BUGGER

Jan 9, 2020
    I’m not particularly up on knife steel but with a Materials Engineering degree from the leading university in the U.K. on steels, I can confidently state that there is some grade 1 BS on that website.

However that doesn’t mean he can’t make decent knives.

marrenmiller likes this.
  12. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    And that makes sense ! Honestly, if I want information on steels I go to a metallurgist's site. If I'm hunting for nice knives , I go to knife makers' sites. I do not expect a metallurgist to be cutting edge on knives and I do not expect a knifemaker to be cutting edge on steels (set apart the steels he's been consistently and successfully using for years. He might be up to something there...).

13. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Gotta tell you, that website is hilarious garbage. How does that guy ever get anything done? A lot of his work sure does look awful...Pakistanish, that's for sure. Also, I got a huge kick out of those "emails" he posted up, that (snaps fingers) golly gee, all read in the same tone, wording, sentence structure, and format as all the rest of the fluff on his website. Yeah, that seems legit.

Don't know the guy, and I've never heard of him before today but I can tell you that I'm not seeing anything at all that places him among the Pantheon of actual quality makers out there. Now, it does appear that he belongs on a few lists of acclaim, for all of the fiction he's written. LOL

14. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    For sure, I will probably never hold any of his knives. And neither many knives of a lot of knifemakers too far away from my den. The marketing brabble is funny for a read, though. And yes, a beautiful knife, if only a picture, makes still for good eye candy.

15. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    The problem I have with him is the many many inaccuracies he is spouting as truth. To some, particularly the uninformed, his authority and "talent" as a knife maker gives legitimacy to the many wrongs he is spreading. It's not just marketing fluff at that point. To me, that is unacceptable no matter how well he can make a knife.

Polzeyboy and WValtakis like this.
  16. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    Artists (and that's how I see him) are very vocal about their truth or enlightnment. To me, it gives him no legitimacy at all in the metallurgy field. His talent (very subjective notion) may get me interested in his production. If I see something beautiful, I will stand in awe. And that will be it. I actually forgot about him until this controversy came up.

Polzeyboy likes this.
  17. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013

Oh for sure, use it all you want! :D

18. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Counterrerrorist knives are the best thing I read in a loong time tho :D

Mitchell Knives likes this.