Steels descriptions in Jay Fisher website

"...each sensual kiss of the hammer further imbuing the nascent blade with the warrior's vigor of Thor himself..."

Not sure where that came from but I didn't see it on the page that was mentioned.

But, it surely does seem like the way he'd describe his forging skills...

Well made knives, beautifully polished, a lot of gem handles.

The ones I saw were purchased by a bon vivant customer; not a knife collector but liker of shiny, shiny things...fine watches, Cuban cigars (his house got raided by ATF and they were confiscated), engraved pistols, etc.

Lots of smooth filework, gemstones and curved lines; very, very shiny. 440c polished beautifully.

Yeah if you've got a nice mansion in a gated community with granite countertops as far as the eye can see and a maid to keep it all tidy then one of the bejeweled kitchen knives would look very good prominently displayed on the island. Maybe next to a couple Objet d'art to keep the conversation flowing.

I don't know for sure about the other members on here but I"m what you'd term as anti-fancy. If I was getting a kitchen knife it would be carbon with a wood handle; if that dude handled it he'd either burst into flames or melt like a wax dummy.

He sure does the "objet d'art" stuff and I'm not a fan of that. However, some years ago, he displayed a cleaver and chef knife (in relation with his defense of 440C, if I remember well) and those were just beautiful. In his flashy style, of course, (and price probably even flashier)... Nonetheless, those were splendid knives. And that's my experience with Jay Fisher : he likes 440C, so do I, and he made two very nice kitchen knives that amazed me.

"...each sensual kiss of the hammer further imbuing the nascent blade with the warrior's vigor of Thor himself..."
This is actually excellent (s)words smithing ! Makes me laugh everytime I read it. I could yoink it, don't know yet where or how, sigline ? but this is pure gold. Only with your permission, good Sir.

I’m not particularly up on knife steel but with a Materials Engineering degree from the leading university in the U.K. on steels, I can confidently state that there is some grade 1 BS on that website.

However that doesn’t mean he can’t make decent knives.

And that makes sense ! Honestly, if I want information on steels I go to a metallurgist's site. If I'm hunting for nice knives , I go to knife makers' sites. I do not expect a metallurgist to be cutting edge on knives and I do not expect a knifemaker to be cutting edge on steels (set apart the steels he's been consistently and successfully using for years. He might be up to something there...).

Gotta tell you, that website is hilarious garbage. How does that guy ever get anything done? A lot of his work sure does look awful...Pakistanish, that's for sure. Also, I got a huge kick out of those "emails" he posted up, that (snaps fingers) golly gee, all read in the same tone, wording, sentence structure, and format as all the rest of the fluff on his website. Yeah, that seems legit.

Don't know the guy, and I've never heard of him before today but I can tell you that I'm not seeing anything at all that places him among the Pantheon of actual quality makers out there. Now, it does appear that he belongs on a few lists of acclaim, for all of the fiction he's written. LOL

For sure, I will probably never hold any of his knives. And neither many knives of a lot of knifemakers too far away from my den. The marketing brabble is funny for a read, though. And yes, a beautiful knife, if only a picture, makes still for good eye candy.

The problem I have with him is the many many inaccuracies he is spouting as truth. To some, particularly the uninformed, his authority and "talent" as a knife maker gives legitimacy to the many wrongs he is spreading. It's not just marketing fluff at that point. To me, that is unacceptable no matter how well he can make a knife.

Artists (and that's how I see him) are very vocal about their truth or enlightnment. To me, it gives him no legitimacy at all in the metallurgy field. His talent (very subjective notion) may get me interested in his production. If I see something beautiful, I will stand in awe. And that will be it. I actually forgot about him until this controversy came up.

This is actually excellent (s)words smithing ! Makes me laugh everytime I read it. I could yoink it, don't know yet where or how, sigline ? but this is pure gold. Only with your permission, good Sir.

Oh for sure, use it all you want! :D

As a European knife maker from non-English speaking country, I can't even pronounce 20% of words on Jay Fisher's website. I really like how he hates modern powder metallurgy high vanadium steels (S30V, Elmax, M390, K390, 10V, etc.) because he says they can't be polished to a mirror finish. Yet, we have been doing this for several years. And I would say his mirror finish 440C is not even close to what we do on Elmax, M390, Vanadis 4 Extra, and K390. I don't know where he gets his info from but he should update the information on his website from time to time...

Don't worry, he's delirious. And he writes too much. I get his love for 440C (I do, too) but the hate for modern steels (and for carbon steels) is one step beyond. Way into delirious territory...

Back