Steevee's WIP-ZONE

Hello!

Not sure if anyone cares for knifemakers with such small name as myself but I thought that it won't hurt to post it. Somehow this projest got me more excited than usually.

I had piece of O1 laying around that would make an awesome chopper... So I started drawing and ended up with this...

SEgTKHJ.jpg

But I already made a lot of knives with harpoon style swedge and there is gazillion of those made by other makers, so I tried to figure out something a little different. I came up with this...
iJAzO5e.jpg

And fell in love with those lines. Got it heat treated same day

kCiBrtS.jpg

Today I cleaned it up
o4kI4d5.jpg

Now It's time for the guard and handle, but I'd like to share with You some blade details first:
A5lx3H8.jpg
KHShJog.jpg
bmyCBj0.jpg
RHZCptK.jpg

EjTWpVF.jpg

...And here's a drawing of the whole project:
4AzsIyV.jpg

I'm planing to make fatigued look brass guard and green burlap micarta handle.

More updates coming soon

Cheers!

So I was working on the guard yesterday...

Pretty happy about the fit up.
oSNgz2Y.jpg
H3qG7LG.jpg

Now it's time to grind it to shape.
wcM9zct.jpg

uUBQiYA.jpg

Since every surface is prepared for stonewash, I can start sculpting.

The face of upper guard got to be first.
563WJcG.jpg

Then I can make inner parts of the guard.
Legxii8.jpg
l4LLcmh.jpg

It's starting to look like something ;)
WiqI5Md.jpg

Side grooves done and everything blended in together.
GRi1cBS.jpg

And there it goes into my super-duper stoneash mashine :D
Dzs7XR9.jpg

Here's all finished up.
xus44Gq.jpg

But...
Lines between lower guard radius and side groove were closer to each other than on the upper guard. I had mixed feelings about it, so I took few steps back and fixed it.

sv7sXOr.jpg

I'm done with it for now, next step- making the handle.

Last edited:
That is amazing! Is the grind on one side convex and on the other side hollow, or am I just seeing it wrong? (next to last photo in your first post) I love it, regardless!

STEEVEE - you are a BIG name knife maker in my book. :thumbsup: This one has all the promise of a beautiful, rugged and classy work knife. I agree with i4Marc that to my eye the swedge lines should have met the tip - maybe the tip is stronger this way? In any case I nit pick. I really like the what you are doing with this. Version 2 was a big leap to better.

Looking forward to watching this one finish up.

Ray

samuraistuart samuraistuart Main bevels are slightly convexed

RayseM RayseM I make swedges this way cause it's a little different. Also there is much more material behind the tip, so You're right about overall toughnes.
Thanks for looking guys!

Looking like a heck of a knife in the making. Thanks for the updates, it’s nice to get a glimpse of the progress and steps taken to get to the finish line.

Ok, let's make a handle!

C1LgZE8.jpg

I skipped laminating process cause I didn"t have enough hands to make photos.

So I ended up with some micarta.
6izO4pt.jpg

One half inch plate for the sides and one with thickness of the tang (~ 0,315")

I like this type of handle construction, I don't need to struggle with tang slot so much.

3LKFFGX.jpg

And It's always fitted very nicely.

xRsatIz.jpg

Now got to cut out all needed pieces...

3KLGtKI.jpg

...And glue it all together.

MwLCQdU.jpg

It comes together pretty nice ;)

x0Tlg4i.jpg

2TANXdO.jpg

Got nice and tight fit, no rattle at all. But You'll never know...

So I made pins to keep it all in place when I'll be putting it on tang and taking it of for gazillion times ;P

kmT69xc.jpg

Time to make ultra- advanced handle sculpting fixture.

GvHdoP6.jpg

0auQv8e.jpg

OoB7eCr.jpg

Yep... It's a handle on stick...

szVUBdM.jpg

I make rough shaping on the grinder and refining it by hand. Here I just finished tweaking it for symetry.

iIJcRe9.jpg

And here it is after some paper work.

wK8Lwdt.jpg

I sprayed it with WD-40 to give You the Idea how it'll look finished. Just need a moment on buffing wheel and I can call it done. If I won't mess this up, I'll proppably show You finished knife in next update.

Last edited:
Very much enjoying this thread and admiring your work.

Is this not the knife in your avatar picture ?

Edit: I see a difference in the guard, any chance you can photograph them together when you are finished?

Back