"Sterile" Cold Steel Trail Master??

I've had many CS Recon Scouts & SRK's, but have always wanted a Trail Master. This one kind of fell in my lap, but was concerned that there are NO markings on the knife itself (other than some minor bumps and bruises on the guard lol). I have owned easily +1000 knives, felt many fakes, and if this one is fake it's the highest quality fake I've ever seen. Any Trailmaster experts out there? Sorry for the crappy pics, I can take more if needed. Any help/ guidance would be appreciated.

Knife:
OAL Appx 14-3/8"
Blade- Appx 9-3/8" (original tip not re-profiled)
Brass in lanyard appears bright in picture but actually brownish patina.

Sheath, which IS marked:
Heavy very well made cordura sheath. A little dirty but in good shape.
On the front of the tie-down ring marked "Tifco"
On the back of tie-down ring marked (separate areas): CD 20 and a "5" at the other side of the ring.
The two rivets at top do have some minor rust inside

Attachments

• DSC02047.JPG
    DSC02047.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC02048.JPG
    DSC02048.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02049.JPG
    DSC02049.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02054.JPG
    DSC02054.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02058.JPG
    DSC02058.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02066.JPG
    DSC02066.JPG
    441.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02073.JPG
    DSC02073.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
With LT's ego, did CS ever make a sterile anything besides maybe the FRN Broadheads?
Is it possible a former owner sterilized it?

I've had many CS Recon Scouts & SRK's, but have always wanted a Trail Master. This one kind of fell in my lap, but was concerned that there are NO markings on the knife itself (other than some minor bumps and bruises on the guard lol). I have owned easily +1000 knives, felt many fakes, and if this one is fake it's the highest quality fake I've ever seen. Any Trailmaster experts out there? Any help/ guidance would be appreciated.

Knife:
OAL Appx 14-3/8"
Blade- Appx 9-3/8" (original tip not re-profiled)
Brass in lanyard appears bright in picture but actually brownish patina.

Sheath, which IS marked:
Heavy very well made cordura sheath. A little dirty but in good shape.
On the front of the tie-down ring marked "Tifco"
On the back of tie-down ring marked (separate areas): CD 20 and a "5" at the other side of the ring.
The two rivets at top do have some minor rust inside
I'm guessing it's not actually sterile, but that the markings were removed or worn off from use/cleaning/polishing. If the sheath is original, and based on the brass guard and Gen2 style ricasso, that would be a Carbon V model from 1993-2001, and would have had the markings up near the spine rather than on the ricasso. Can see what the markings should like in post #1 here, about 3/4 down:

Good chance that if you get the light just right, you'll be able to see the very faint "ghost" of the markings.

Yes, that's what I saw when I first searched for an answer thanks. I can't see any remnants of a logo, but I also believe one may have been there at one time. Any rough idea on value (I am a gold member)? I always wanted one, but it reminds me why I got away from Recon Scouts, I really don't like thick choppers. My main chopper is a 1/8" LT Wright Leuku...Thank you!
I'm guessing it's not actually sterile, but that the markings were removed or worn off from use/cleaning/polishing. If the sheath is original, and based on the brass guard and Gen2 style ricasso, that would be a Carbon V model from 1993-2001, and would have had the markings up near the spine rather than on the ricasso. Can see what the markings should like in post #1 here, about 3/4 down:

Good chance that if you get the light just right, you'll be able to see the very faint "ghost" of the marking

Yes, that's what I saw when I first searched for an answer thanks. I can't see any remnants of a logo, but I also believe one may have been there at one time. Any rough idea on value (I am a gold member)? I always wanted one, but it reminds me why I got away from Recon Scouts, I really don't like thick choppers. My main chopper is a 1/8" LT Wright Leuku...Thank you!
Hard to tell the condition from the pics, but looking at previous sales on ebay, really nice ones have recently sold in the $275-300 range. "Users" seem to be more in the $175-200 range.

With LT's ego, did CS ever make a sterile anything besides maybe the FRN Broadheads?
Is it possible a former owner sterilized it?
Just looking at the products I have near me, my Bowie Machete, Gladius Machete, 2005 Katana Bokken, and 1990s CAT Tanto have no markings.

My Cutlass Machete, however, does say it is from Cold Steel and made in South Africa.

You can see the scratches on the blade where the logo would have been, seen this many times.

Back