• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Steven Ketchen <spketch> MIA: Overbooked? Off the grid? Lost his phone? What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok folks here goes.. I went to the facility where I mailed my knife to Mr. Ketchen and was told that they could do nothing.. they had fulfilled their obligation by delivering the package.

Then I called the Clinton Ma. Police dept. and filed a complaint. I explained that I was not the only person that Steve was scamming. They took all the info and told me to have others that have been taken advantage of to please call the Clinton Police Dept. the phone Nr. Is 978-365-4111.

If this doesn't work I will try and see if it is possible to file a claim in the small claims court in Clinton even if one is out of State. Do 't know what else to do at this,point. I will be calling my credit union to see if I can take any action on him cashing my check and not fulfilling his obligation. That's all I got for now and as usual no work from Steve.

I contacted the Clinton PD also...spoke with very nice lady.

She said he was fairly certain Ketchen is a resident in their jurisdiction. She said she'd received similar calls as mine.

The detective who would work this case is off today and she recorded my call and will hand it to him tomorrow. Gave me his name & number.

Don't know exactly how many claims have come in against Ketchen, she wouldn't divulge an exact figure-- I asked. But she seemed to know the MO quite well it seemed to me. May be just the tip of the iceberg...I hope not.

I'll give a call, thank you gentlemen.

Called. They seemed very interested in Mr Ketchens activities as of late. Thanks again Mr Wohleb for the contact.

Last edited:
I contacted the Clinton PD also...spoke with very nice lady.

She said he was fairly certain Ketchen is a resident in their jurisdiction. She said she'd received similar calls as mine.

The detective who would work this case is off today and she recorded my call and will hand it to him tomorrow. Gave me his name & number.

Don't know exactly how many claims have come in against Ketchen, she wouldn't divulge an exact figure-- I asked. But she seemed to know the MO quite well it seemed to me. May be just the tip of the iceberg...I hope not.
Let's hope their is not more than the few we already know about.
I also called my credit union to see about the cashed check.. at first they said it was cashed and now they don't know.. do not want to blame Steve for something he may not have done.. so I may be able to at least get my money back.. downside is if he does cash the check after I get a refund I am still liable for the amountof the check. Damn he has cost a lot of trouble and inconvience for people let alone wasted time.

How does that happen?
The credit union at first said the check was cashed... now,they say that they cannot find the check, but can see the money I paid for it coming out of my account. Appearently I had drawn a check the day before and they got them mixed up. They are turning the matter over to their investigation department. But, if the check has been cashed I am sol if the check hasn't been cashed I can get my money back.. but, if the check is cashed after I am refunded I am still,liable for the amount.. I went cross eyed with tongue hanging,outta my head after this go around. Bottom line I just wanted to get that out because I do not want to falsely accuse anyone if they haven't done the dirty deed or,in this case the whole dirty deed... I will know for sure tue or the next day. Bean counters!

I'll give a call, thank you gentlemen.

Called. They seemed very interested in Mr Ketchens activities as of late. Thanks again Mr Wohleb for the contact.

So glad you guys aren't letting this go. And it sounds like enough calls were made that the police deem this as a case worth looking into. This guy deserves everything comming his way don't let up boys don't let up

Well the credit union got back to me today and yes Steve Ketchen is a conniving thieving pos. He got my check on the 8th of May and trotted his rotten little ass to his bank and cashed it on The 10th of May. No wonder he was all hot to trot to get my Gayle Bradley he had a fool who paid upfront. Damn glad I informed no more knives until I got my Gayle Bradley 2 back. To me this shows he had intent to defraud.

No word from the Clinton Police Department yet, but law enforcement does move slowly they want to have a rock solid case then pounce.

I figured as much Ernest, I'm sorry he's into you for the knife + your cash now...no contact from PD on my end, either.

No contact from LE here either. One thing that comes to mind about my situation. A couple months back, after Steve had missed a couple of deadlines, I asked if he would just ship my knife back as is, and I was just going to put the stock scales back on and call it a wash.

Steve basically begged me to not go this route, and I fell right into it. Said something to the effect he wouldn't feel right doing that, his reputation, etc. I guess where I'm getting at is that now I suspect he had no knife to return to me, and was just able to drag me along for two more months. He never did send me pictures of the actual knife, just always the scales.

No contact from LE here either. One thing that comes to mind about my situation. A couple months back, after Steve had missed a couple of deadlines, I asked if he would just ship my knife back as is, and I was just going to put the stock scales back on and call it a wash.

Steve basically begged me to not go this route, and I fell right into it. Said something to the effect he wouldn't feel right doing that, his reputation, etc. I guess where I'm getting at is that now I suspect he had no knife to return to me, and was just able to drag me along for two more months. He never did send me pictures of the actual knife, just always the scales.
Cf1969

This has been something that I have been speculating on myself... did Steve run into financial troubles and try to make money off of us by taking our knives and money then turn around and sell to a third party.. just a thought no proof. Hate trying to second guess what someone is doing with no knowledge of actual facts but ones imagination can go down some dark roads... hopefully Clints PD can shed some light and resolution on this mess.

This just whole business with sketchen gets more slimy with each new revelation...

I really wish it was just a bad dream and when we woke up the former solid, reputable, trustworthy, and dependable Steve Ketchen would be there working his magic in wood and micarta...

But now it seems he's only performing his vanishing act...

This just whole business with sketchen gets more slimy with each new revelation...

I really wish it was just a bad dream and when we woke up the former solid, reputable, trustworthy, and dependable Steve Ketchen would be there working his magic in wood and micarta...

But now it seems he's only performing his vanishing act...
I wish I could have gotten to know the old Steve... from the pictures of,past jobs he did some mighty fine work... probably still does just wonder where it going.

He did flat out amazing work Ernest.....amazing.
He was also extremely friendly and answered every question I ever asked.
Still having trouble wrapping my head around this one.
Joe

He did flat out amazing work Ernest.....amazing.
He was also extremely friendly and answered every question I ever asked.
Still having trouble wrapping my head around this one.
Joe
I worked in corrections for twenty years, my second career,and observed many a good person take the wrong path. Usually it's because some friend introduced them to drugs and out of curiosity they tried the substance and that, was the end of them. I seen people who have lost a successful business, family,'home everything and end up doing hard time. It's really sad. Seems like they get into that lifestyle it's really rare to see them get back on the right foot. I have seen people who for whatever reason get themselves tangled up in a financial crisis and instead of weathering look for any easy out and end up in jail. Seems like it is the lucky or exceptional person that is able to break the cycle that nice they enter it. I don't know what went wrong with Steve but once ne hand I want my ounce of flesh and on the other I truly hope he gets back on track. But the bottom line I want each of us to have Steve make his commitment to all of us made right. My fear is if he gets sucked into the criminal justice system we will all lose.. but hopefully save anyone else from losing property.

I hear you Ernest and have seen PLENTY of that stuff also.
Had a customer in the Fashion district in NYC. Owned the building, manufacturing, and kept one complete floor for his business. HUGE building right on Fashion Ave that was close to priceless.
Millions and millions of dollars.....literally.
He tried coke in 1979. By '81 the business, the building and his family were gone.
Absolutely horrible to go from the top of the world to hell in the blink of an eye.
I've been praying this did not happen to Steve, but for such a 180......WTF else can it be???
This has truly been making me sick, like I said many times, I would have sworn he was as good as it got with service providers.
Still hoping all you guys get squared away.
Joe

This COULD be very simple. Many times over the years I have seen people cross a given moral line (no, not copying a knife design :rolleyes:); it could be monetary, sexual, or ??? and once they have, they then draw no more lines. :( "I cheated my neighbor/buddy, why not cheat my mother? :poop: If one starts stealing, stealing can become the normal way to do things. A conscience can be quieted/silenced by repeated refusal to listen. These people are generally called "criminals". :mad:

Has anyone tried checking pawn shops near him. He would get more selling online but if someone wants cash quickly...

I have no idea what his personal circumstances are...I have my theories.

FWIW, he's also personally told me some stuff-- but I'm 98% sure that was a pack of lies.

As for some facts:
1. Slow & Subtle 180 deg. "about face" from legit to shady ca. a year ago.
2. Completed & delivered on a few choice jobs while stringing along others with weak excuses.
3. Taken customers' money up front without updates on WIP, not to mention not delivering actual finished jobs.
4. Given various "reasons" why he wasn't delivering on jobs.
5. Zero communications in this thread despite knowing of its existence before temp. ban.
6. PayPal case <mine> decided against him without response from him.
7. BF members have contacted his local PD about not returning those members' knives, materials, and funds.

He told me at the beginning of the year he had to come up with some tax money,quite a bit the way he talked.Hes had my knives since November.Im guessing they went to the tax fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back