• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Mixed Stick06, JLVL and a PM2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie2times

Gold Member
I'll start this off by saying If I have/had the opportunity to do the right thing I always take it. I love Blade Forums and have done my best to be a upstanding member over the years. Tried my hardest to make sure every single person I've ever dealt with here is satisfied with anything and everything I trade, sell or buy. This is bar none the best knife related forum on the net and all the members I have dealt with have been stand up individuals.

Today I had first claim in a thread and followed up with a PM as required by the seller. JLVL had second claim. For some reason the seller overlooked my claim and sold to JLVL. I sent a polite PM to the seller asking if he'd be willing to help me out with the first claim and a polite E-mail to JLVL politely asking him if he'd be willing to do the honorable thing and honor the first claim in the thread. JLVL didn't respond while Stick06 did and said he accepted money from JLVL. It'd be easy enough to refund the funds though PayPal and I asked him to, I was even going to offer a few extra dollars for any inconvenience but got no reply after that. I fully understand the final decision is the sellers but was just hoping for the same courtesy I've shown BF members I've dealt with.

Perhaps I'm reading to much into this but this forum is built upon honesty, courtesy and honor. If sellers and buyers start undermining it that's not good for the community at large.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/collection-sale-pm2s.1660059/page-2

Perhaps I'm reading to much into this but this forum is built upon honesty, courtesy and honor. If sellers and buyers start undermining it that's not good for the community at large.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/collection-sale-pm2s.1660059/page-2

I don't know why you were bi-passed and it seems the seller should have followed his own instructions, but:
You need to look at the other side of this deal. Once they committed to a deal(much less money changing hands) there is no easy way to go back . Once the seller committed, he was doing the honorable thing to follow through with the deal. Both parties would have had to agree to help you, for this to have any chance and even then it is a lot of hassle-If I remember right PP is(or soon will be) keeping their fees on refunds.
Best to just move on to the next knife.

Last edited:
I don't know why you were bi-passed and it seems the seller should have followed his own instructions, but:
You need to look at the other side of this deal. Once they committed to a deal(much less money changing hands) there is no easy way to go back . Once the seller committed, he was doing the honorable thing to follow through with the deal. Both parties would have had to agree to help you, for this to have any chance and even then it is a lot of hassle-If I remember right PP is(or soon will be) keeping their fees on refunds.
Best to just move on to the next knife.

As much as no one likes to miss out on a knife, Peter is right. And in the end, it always falls back to the seller's prerogative who he deals with. So as was said, move on to the next, and good luck in your hunt!

P. S. You could always send the buyer a nice PM asking for first refusal if he decides to sell it.

If you look back through my post history you’ll see I once tried to do a good deed for JLVL that turned out to be unnecessary. Regardless, JLVL has had someone look out for him on the forum and should try to pay it forward to another member / do the right thing. If he chooses not to, it will speak volumes about what kind of person he may be.

If you look back through my post history you’ll see I once tried to do a good deed for JLVL that turned out to be unnecessary. Regardless, JLVL has had someone look out for him on the forum and should try to pay it forward to another member / do the right thing. If he chooses not to, it will speak volumes about what kind of person he may be.

Based on the fact he wouldn't even respond to my PM I can't see him doing the right thing. If the situations were reversed I would have informed the seller there was somebody else in front of me that had claimed the knife. Either way, what's done is done and I just thought I'd get this out there so people can be better informed about some of the newer members.

I feel like you're looking too far into this. Both posts were made at basically the same time according to what i can see, 12:08. So its likely that your post just went unnoticed.

As for honor, i feel like already having made the payment, backing out and refunding him would have been more of a dishonorable thing to do.

But really, this isnt much of a big deal. Its a PM2, almost all variants of which are pretty damn common.

Interesting take, thanks for the input. I disagree with it wholeheartedly, but, to each their own :)

Based on the fact he wouldn't even respond to my PM I can't see him doing the right thing. If the situations were reversed I would have informed the seller there was somebody else in front of me that had claimed the knife. Either way, what's done is done and I just thought I'd get this out there so people can be better informed about some of the newer members.

If he already had you on his ignore list, he wouldn’t have seen your post or I assume your PM.

Charlie-you should make the other parties aware of this thread in case they would like to add to it
You are correct that it is bad form to purposely jump someone's claim, but I can't say for sure that happened here from the limited information available. Looks like your post came up 1st, but at least 2 (maybe 3 all had the same time stamp) and only the seller knows which PM came in 1st(he may not have even checked the posts before responding), and only the seller knows why he picked the other buyer. I still don't think it very practical to try to reverse this transaction, and sometimes things don't go perfectly as planed.
If the buyer is jumping claims on purpose, I suggest he reconsider that behavior-it will catch up to him and this case is now documented.

EDIT-sellers explanation of the events shows that buyer2 did not attempt to jump the OP's I'll take it, but instead was awarded it by the seller, which is fine.
No problem with seller or buyer 2.

Last edited:
............. If the situations were reversed I would have informed the seller there was somebody else in front of me that had claimed the knife. ..................

I think a lot of us would have, this is really a good community most of the time. But as I and others have said, it's the seller's choice not to reverse the other transaction to sell to you. Happened to me in the past, including very recently. Not much you can do except move on. Might even get a better deal next time. :)

Both "I'll take it" posts have the same time stamp. Is it possible, that the other buyers post shows on the sellers screen before yours?

Interesting. I've had several occasions where more than one buyer has responded at essentially the same time, but none have ever pursued the situation to this extent. They just, ya know, moved on. Lots of knives out there. Seems unreasonable to start a thread about it IMO.

Both "I'll take it" posts have the same time stamp. Is it possible, that the other buyers post shows on the sellers screen before yours?

Unlikely, I think 2 members stated they saw my post first and said something about it in the post.

It happens ... for whatever reason the situation went how it went ... it's past time to just move on ... if you feel either party did you wrong block them and don't do business with them again.

Not everyone will do things the same ... not everyone will do whats right and definately what you or someone else may feel "is right" ... but it's not worth the time space or your peace of mind to continue to drag it out ...

Unlikely, I think 2 members stated they saw my post first and said something about it in the post.

I saw one did, but not the seller. With two timestamps at the same time (not a minute apart as you stated), it is possible, if the seller refreshed their screen at the right moment, he could have seen the other post first.

Either way, you didn't get a knife you wanted, it happens.

As previously mentioned I sent each member a polite message and they stopped responding. Hardly poor form to waste time communicating with individuals unwilling to communicate.
You still should have notified them(IMO). CataD has now done so in his post. They may or may not respond. In their eyes (right or wrong)you may be the one acting un-reasonably and thus the ending of communication. With this thread it has moved from communicating with you to communicating with the whole Forum and I would like to hear their side. I don't know if they will respond or not.
If I was to guess-I would say things were happening real fast with multiple posts 1 minute after the original sales post. The seller likely saw buyer 2's PM or Email 1st and just accepted it without going back to the thread. Once done, done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back