• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Mixed Stick06, JLVL and a PM2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Peter. That's definitely the plan. I'd prefer to take a loss selling something at a fair and honest price than anything else. Any kind of money exchange is secondary in my mind. I'd gladly lose money if it gave back to this great community. I'd just be worried about offending someone of very high standing.

I'd just be worried about offending someone of very high standing.
....my friend...we are all pretty much equals here. There are people with large post counts and plenty of positive feedback that are complete idiots, there are others with low post count and feedback who have contributed positively, none the less we are all equals. Individual to individual people will judge others here by different standards. The best you can do is to have your own high standards (which seem apparent from your writings) and maintain them. If you make a mistake own it (that says more about someone than many things) and be honest. Ultimately you can't make everyone happy all of the time. but being genuine in your intent is the best starting place !

I'd just be worried about offending someone of very high standing.

A high positive feedback score alone does not equate to "high standing" in my book here...this isn't eBay. This is a community first, with the ability to buy/sell/trade being a nice benefit. As Peter said, those that contribute outside of the Exchange are viewed by many as having higher standing.

By all means use the Exchange, but don't be a stranger in the rest of the forum:thumbsup:

Thank you all for the feedback. I guess I was trying to somewhat indirectly say that harping about a lost sale made me a little weary. I figure a lost sale for whatever reason was making me a little unsure. I was thinking that feedback levels were the "golden standard," but they aren't.

To put it more simply, I was thinking Charlie would or will issue an apology to the seller and buyer and move on. The thread seems to have revealed the relevant facts and no one was trying to do anything but complete a transaction honestly.

I'm a newer member to what I have found is an exemplary forum generally comprised of what seems to be extraordinarily honest and helpful members. Generally, I consider my newness to the forum to be a disadvantage - I'm reluctant to chime in on things fearing my lack of experience or longevity here will reveal me being unaware of how things are or should be done. I'm in my "accumulation" phase of knives so have only been buying and trying to contribute in other threads ONLY when I think offering my obviously limited knowledge on things might help. Generally, I spend time reading and trying to absorb information. I look at people with levels of feedback that seem unobtainable to me. I'm not rich enough to be selling or buying hundreds of knives a month so I respect and appreciate the dedication, passion, and time other members have invested to get where they are. Some have 30, 40, 50, 80, or even 100+ positive feedback reviews. That's awesome and I very much respect it. A number like that gives me great confidence when I consider purchasing something from one of these members.

I offer that information as a preface to what I'm about to say. I have several knives and, of course, I like some more than others. I'm not ready yet, but I may consider selling them in the future. Obviously, I'd like to do that here. To show some appreciation for everything that I've gained here, I was thinking I would sell them here and even thought about trying to figure out a way to offer them in such as way as to provide an advantage to paid members or, within that, members with higher levels of positive feedback. My thought there was that it'd be my small way of repaying the kindness and respect that I've received here from members of such higher standing. I don't have anything I want to sell right now and these are just thoughts at this point.

That said, this thread makes me rethink even that approach. At first, I very much saw the point of having been the person with the first "I'll take it." But then, I saw all the intervening comments and the seller's comments. So, I feel bad that charlie2times missed out on a very nice knife (I have the same model that I bought here and love it) at a very good price. I don't mean to ruffle feathers or in any way try to detract from any of the effort and time that charlie2times has put into building up such a great level of purely positive feedback, but it has taken a little luster off even that type of reputation. I'm not saying that to offend you, charlie2times.

I'm new, but reading through this thread has forced me to think I need to be wary even when dealing with a member of such high standing. I'd be horrified if I was wrapped up in something like this. I wouldn't know what to do to make it right. It'd be stressful and make me feel like I let down an exemplary member of the forums.

I don't know if this "essay" and the comments in it help anything. I'm newer so I thought it might be relevant to offer a newbie's perspective. A knife's a knife and has limited value. The reputation one has is more valuable and conduct protecting it is infinitely more valuable than a knife - even a darn nice one.
Welcome friend!

You’re no different than most of us. We’re all learning and seeking acceptance as we fumble our way through a place called the Internet. High post count and high feedback are only guarantees of two things: one talks too much and one spends too much money on knives! Neither is a point of pride.

I haven’t been around here that long, but I decided a few years ago to take part with posts and purchases. I can say with confidence that if you deal in good faith and with integrity, you’ll have no problems. The OP seems to have done neither in this thread. Your post shows you’ve already figured out what he missed.

Welcome to Blade Forums! Relax and have fun. You’ll do fine.

Thanks, Hackenslash! I come here to learn about things and will incidentally start seeking other knives out on the exchange.

Overall, I was trying to say exactly what you said - the shine of high feedback levels or post counts is only part of the story. I thought it was "the story," but it's not. I was hoping that my perspective of a newbie would add to the thread. It may have or it may not have, but I wanted to throw it out there.

What you write doesn't match with what you're actually saying. You thought enough about what "strangers on the internet" thought to write your original post. Only now that you've seen how childish you come across do you claim that what us strangers think is irrelevant.

Enjoy what's bound to be a very shortened time here on Bladeforums now that we've all seen how little you think of us strangers.

You assessment is inherently wrong as it's based on a faulty assumption. My post was the sharing of information, nothing more, nothing less, either people read it or they wont.

As for me being here a short time? Doubtful, perfect track record buying, selling, trading. People value good deals, honesty and fast shipping. When it comes to getting a good deal I tend to think people have enough common sense to overlook difference of opinions. I do it all the time :)

Thank you for your input.

No. You want what YOU want, and apparently care very little for the widely accepted standards of this community or acting in a courteous manner. At this point, you are not supporting anything other than many members low opinion of you.

The last GBU thread in which you participated was similarly eye opening and got you on a lot of ignore lists. Obviously, you did not learn much from that thread either...

Odd, you seek to inform me as to what I want, almsot like you're forcing what you want onto me. Seems a bit hypocritical. I act in a highly courteous manner with any individual I do business with, as reflected in my feedback, and, if people have a low opinion of me they're perfectly free to block or not do business with me. I'm really not concerned with what people think about me.

As for the other gbu thread, refresh my memory, also, how would you know what ignore lists I'm on? Your comment is rather unusual.

Congrats charlie2times charlie2times , you’re officially the Joffrey of Blade Forums! I really thought that Title would go to a far more accomplished troll, but you’ve managed to do so much with so little.

Thank you for the input, seeing as you must have information I'm not privy to I guess that'd make you Baelish.

Thank you all for the feedback. I guess I was trying to somewhat indirectly say that harping about a lost sale made me a little weary. I figure a lost sale for whatever reason was making me a little unsure. I was thinking that feedback levels were the "golden standard," but they aren't.

To put it more simply, I was thinking Charlie would or will issue an apology to the seller and buyer and move on. The thread seems to have revealed the relevant facts and no one was trying to do anything but complete a transaction honestly.

I will not be issuing an apology for sharing information. And I assure you, carrying out transactions in an honest and efficient manner is extremely important. I've done business with people I disagree with in the forums because they carry out their sales/trades in a highly professional manner. Further, If I make a mistake in a sale/trade/purchase (Which I don't think I have in over 125+ feedback's) I'd fix it with no hesitation when it was brought to my attention.

charlie2times charlie2times
Thank you for posts, both in the original ad and here...
Now, when people ask why I don't accept posts in my sales ads - requiring all communication be via PM or email - all I have to do is refer them to this thread. You're behaving like ass because you missed out on a deal...I hope you come to your senses & and are truly embarrassed by your behavior.
(*note - I've only made it through three pages...apologies if it has already happened; but you'll still serve as my example)

Thank you for the input, when I need an example of an individual that has a comprehension problem, I will make sure to remember your comment.

You assessment is inherently wrong as it's based on a faulty assumption. My post was the sharing of information, nothing more, nothing less, either people read it or they wont.

As for me being here a short time? Doubtful, perfect track record buying, selling, trading. People value good deals, honesty and fast shipping. When it comes to getting a good deal I tend to think people have enough common sense to overlook difference of opinions. I do it all the time :)

Thank you for your input.

LOL...good luck at your next forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back