Stider KH and PH vs Sykes-Fairbairn

Good Day,

I am planning on picking up a double edged knife in the near future and found that I enjoyed the look of the KH and the PH as designed by the gentlemen at Strider Knives. I was initially drawn to the look of double edged weapon by the Applegate-Fairbairn improvement of the original Sykes-Fairbairn. However it is my understanding that while the Applegate-Fairbairn is an excellent stabbing implement it is not a very effective slasher due to the fairly obtuse angles created by the double bevel grind on both sides of the knife. My question is for those of you out there who now or ever owned a Applegate-Fairbairn, Strider KH, or Strider PH.

The question is this:

In your experience do you find that the difference between the Stider KH or Strider PH style of double bevel grind on one side and full hollow grind on the opposite side creates a noticeable difference in slashing when compared to the Applegate-Fairbairn style of double bevel grind on both sides?

In my limited experience it makes sense to me that the Strider design be it the KH or PH would lead to better slashing ability due to a less obtuse edge. May I get your thoughts on this please.

Thank You,

Bryan Poff

Knife Novice and younger sibling of Marion David Poff aka Eye

Also I find that my brother Marion is very good at piss taking as it applies to me so if he replies to my post in an act of derision please pay him no heed. He only has my best interest in mind and if that involves killing me than so be it.

I am sure I will hear about this.

P.S. I am looking for any information on this subject but focused on looking to purchase either a Strider or Sykes-Fairbairn hence the directed question

Thank you for your interest

Just a note on the S/F and the A/F,

I think you have the histories mixed up. The Sykes/Fairbairn is the knife made famous for killing Nazis. Applegate and Fairbairn re-designed the knife later to make it a better cutter, and a stronger knife.

From what I know about construction and materials, the Strider is in every way an improvement over the other daggers. I'd take an Applegate Fairbairn over a Sykes Fairbairn. But I'd take a Strider dagger over pretty much everything else out there!

Back