Stiff one

I purchased a Spyderco Native 5 and it is very stiff and is a slow open with one hand. I have loosened the pivot screws a little bit 1/4 turn, but still stiff.
I loosened a full turn and still stiff.
I put a drop of gun oil and tried working it on and still stiff.
Am I missing something here, or do I need to take time to break it in more?

Stone the washers in the pivot? They may have burrs from stamping. Just one thought.

Thanks for the info.
I did take the knife apart and the blade does move freely on pivot outside of the scales, but it becomes tight again when I put it back together. It’s almost as if the scales are tight against the blade.

Is it smooth or gritty/catchy?
The blade starts out moving freely but quickly seems to be rubbing against something (scales?).
I can loosen the pivot screws a lot and it doesn’t make noticeable difference

Is it the pivot or is it friction from the lock bar? My Endura will never open as easy as a frame or liner lock.

Is it the pivot or is it friction from the lock bar? My Endura will never open as easy as a frame or liner lock.
That's true, my native 5's and other back locks have a lot more resistance opening compared to liner type locks.

It’s definitely pivot friction. it is a new knife and wasn’t sure how much break in it would need. I was hoping I would be able to flick it open but I’m assisting it opening every time.

Is the blade coated? The can prolong break in. Also the washers may not be complete flat

Hold the lock open so that it has no contact with the blade. Is it still stiff?

When I hold the lock open with the blade in the closed position it falls loose for with no contact with the lock but needs to be pushed to open fully as the locking bar is engaged with the blade.

The blade falls loose but then the locking bar catches it. I’ve had it apart completely and I don’t see and so called washers. All there is is a pivot barrel that the blade rotates on perfectly.

Haven't looked at mine lately but don't think there's any washers in the lightweight model.

If the blade moves freely with no lock contact, doesn't that mean the pivot is not binding it?
Mine is the same way.

And yes I have the lightweight version.
The lock does bind against blade but so much that you could never flip the blade open with the thumb hole.
Liner locks are so much easier for me.

And yes I have the lightweight version.
The lock does bind against blade but so much that you could never flip the blade open with the thumb hole.
Liner locks are so much easier for me.
There are a couple things you can do to lessen spring pressure. Extend it to reach more forward on the lock bar, if there's room, or very slightly bend it.
Even so, it will never be as easy and controllable to open as a liner lock.

Back locks have the advantages of bias to close and being ambidextrous.

Back