• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Still no knife from Dale Chudzinski

I have two of his knives. I like them both but for sure there is an issue with him saying when they will get there. One was for a Christmas present and I specifically made sure that it would be here well before Christmas. I can't recall the lag time but I'm thinking that it was SUPPOSED to be here like 4 weeks BEFORE Christmas. As it ended up it went out from NY the Friday before the week of Christmas and ended up getting here the week after New Years.:rolleyes: On the second I ordered it came more promptly.

Oldhippy, not sure what you mean about having higher expectations for the mini. True the fit and finish are not as good as other customs you might pay a similar price for. On both of the ones I got I did additional work to the handles to get them more polished. On the other hand, many customs I have bought that had excellent fit and finish had edges that left something to be desired. On both of Dale's knives the edges were near perfect so I guess you kind of trade off having to do some sanding and polishing of the handles instead of tuning up the edge.;)

Keith Montgomery said:
Anybody gotten a knife yet?

Not me, but then, it's only been four weeks since he said I'd have them in my hand within a week. It's been approximately 84 weeks that he's had my money.

Let's see, he originally said I'd have them in 4 weeks, 80 weeks later he said I'd have them in my hand within a week. By my calculations, I should get an email in 20 weeks telling me I'll get them in a couple of days.

hollowdweller said:
I have two of his knives. I like them both but for sure there is an issue with him saying when they will get there. One was for a Christmas present and I specifically made sure that it would be here well before Christmas. I can't recall the lag time but I'm thinking that it was SUPPOSED to be here like 4 weeks BEFORE Christmas. As it ended up it went out from NY the Friday before the week of Christmas and ended up getting here the week after New Years.:rolleyes: On the second I ordered it came more promptly.

Christmas of what year? I'm curious to know because I'm wondering if yours are two more that were ordered and delivered long after I paid for mine (September 2004).

bobert said:
Christmas of what year? I'm curious to know because I'm wondering if yours are two more that were ordered and delivered long after I paid for mine (September 2004).

Christmas 2004. I can't remember whether I ordered around the time you did, or late summer 04.

I'm thinking that I ordered the other around the same time 05, but he said he's give me priority because of being so late on the other one.

He always got back to me within a few days of me emailing him and I was satisfied with everything except the missing the one Christmas present thingie. In fact the scale came apart on the 04 one and I sent it back around the same time I ordered the other and he fixed it for me:thumbup:

As far as the discussion about paying up front, both times I didn't mind because he said the lag would not be too long. In fact when I mentioned paying to him the second time he said I could even wait till he got it done if I wanted but I paid anyway cause I figured (rightly) he was good for it.

hollowdweller said:
I'm thinking that I ordered the other around the same time 05, but he said he's give me priority because of being so late on the other one.

I imagine that it was a good feeling knowing he was giving you priority because of being so late on the first one. Seems like he was trying to do right by you, even though he had no problem screwing me over to do it. Of course, I don't think it's so cool, as he was over a year late on both of mine at the time.

In the last email I got from him, he actually had the gall to ask me if we could talk without it ending up on BF. What a joke!!! We've not "talked" since I sent him my money. As a matter of fact, I've asked him a few times via email (and posted a couple of times about it) if he still had the special piece of wood that I paid him for. He's yet to answer me.

It appears to me that while he's still sending me empty promises, he wants me to agree not tell anybody. I'm seriously wondering if I am at all out of line here. I know it's considered bad form to post private emails, but this is different, it's a business deal gone wrong. A couple of people started threads asking if anyone had problems with Dale, and since my experience mirrored their's, I felt it was the right thing to do. A few others posted that they were having similar problems with him. I have mentioned things that he wrote to me, but I've only quoted a small portion of one email. I'd like to know if you folks think I'm out of line for doing so.

All he has to do is send me the knives, I'll post that I got them, and that'll be the end of it. Until then, I refuse to make any promises to Dale because, unlike him, I honor my word.

I'm seriously wondering if I am at all out of line here.

Bobert,
You are not out of line at all.This guy is a scumbag.You have been far to nice
and patient throughout the crap he has put you through.

barney30 said:
Bobert,
You are not out of line at all.This guy is a scumbag..

I disagree. I think he's a good guy. I'm not sure what the deal is. I'd really like to hear both sides of the story. I believe Bobert but so far as I can recall I've never heard of anyone waiting this long for one of his blades ever.

I've been watching this post since it began - lurking.... I've had two good deals with Dale buying four knives in total. I ordered my 5th knife in January 2005. He contacted me in March of 2005 indicating the knife was almost complete and to send the money - he even suggested Paypal to avoid delays (which I did). He replied that he received payment and indicated the knife would be on its way soon - two weeks, three weeks go by - and nothing.

I hate that I've had to chase him. He has missed two promised delivery dates that were important to me with no contact after - not even an apology. I to have seen blades displayed on various forums made by Dale that were ordered after mine yet delivered. I know the Lean-To forum knife was started atleast a month after my promised delivery date yet have seen examples on various forums.

I've tried to think the best of Dale but there has been to much evidence to the contrary. The one time I sent him a tough email I get this "you'll be happy to not have to deal with a jerk like me" response. Bullshit - after I've sent emails like "just checking in for an update" for over a year he sends that BS - it's insulting.

I emailed Dale a request for my money back last Tuesday with no response. I've admired every knife I received from Dale in the past - I don't even want this one anymore. Hearing there are others waiting even longer then me doesn't bode well for seeing the knife anytime soon.

Henry

HenryS said:
I've tried to think the best of Dale but there has been to much evidence to the contrary. The one time I sent him a tough email I get this "you'll be happy to not have to deal with a jerk like me" response. Bullshit - after I've sent emails like "just checking in for an update" for over a year he sends that BS - it's insulting.

Sorry I missed your post.

That is exactly what happened to me, only I didn't even send him a tough email until I'd had enough of the insulting emails similar to yours. Until I got fed up with explaining to him that I don't hate him for over a year, I never once sent him an email that was anything but friendly, generous, and understanding. After waiting patiently for all that time, his replies started to feel like I do when I step on a turd. It's a mildly disgusting bummer.

Hollowdweller,

I'd like to hear both sides of the story too. Actually, there are many sides. I believe there's about seven of us that have posted problems with Dale on this forum alone. He has been asked to post at least a couple of times, but lacks the integrity to do so. A decent man would have posted that the many of us who have complained, have not exaggerated the situation in any way. This was especially bothersome to me, as I was honestly patient and understanding, not to mention, I have a lot of respect for many of the people who defended him the first time around, and in a sense, I'm kicking their friend..

Well, after all this time, and still more lies, I have finally lost all respect for Dale Chudzinski as a knifemaker, as well as a person.
As you can see, I did not form this opinion in haste.

I am sending him an email asking for my money back, as well a public apology, posted right here in this forum.
After 85 weeks now, it's the least he should do.

Still no word from Dale Chudzinski. 87 weeks and counting.....

Henry,

Any word on your refund?

Bobert

Bobert

It took a few emails but I did get a promise to refund on May 12th. I replied on the same day asking for a Money order instead of paypal (don't use it anymore) and provided an address. Nothing since.

Anyone getting anywhere? Damn I'd like to see the end of this. Dale did offer a partial refund and the knife - if it were me I would have refunded and thrown in the knife no questions asked. Over a year of chasing him for empty promises and a record high Canadian dollar that will see me eating over 0.15 cents on every dollar I payed him. The refund won't make things right but I'll feel better about moving on.

I Paypal'd the money the day he asked for it after he indicated my knife was so close to being complete that a express post money order would hold it up. In over a years time he couldn't find the time to put the finishing touches on it? I guess I am gullible for a hard luck story.

Henry

Thanks for the info.

Yup, same old story, same old song and dance.
He told me almost a year and a half ago that my blades were done, and that he was going to put the handles on that weekend. Either he was flat out lying, or he turned around and sold them to somebody else.

He said he was sorry, and that he was going to make it right.
I'm still waiting for that to happen. It's been a while now.

Dale owes me a Back country utility from late 2004. I have a Nessmuk he did, awsome. Ordered the back country, promises. It POs me that others have got theirs who ordered after me. Guess I better hound him for a while.

You might try this number........ 315-388-4800. I think that's the last one I had for him.
Oldhippy

hollowdweller said:

Oldhippy, not sure what you mean about having higher expectations for the mini. True the fit and finish are not as good as other customs you might pay a similar price for. On both of the ones I got I did additional work to the handles to get them more polished. On the other hand, many customs I have bought that had excellent fit and finish had edges that left something to be desired. On both of Dale's knives the edges were near perfect so I guess you kind of trade off having to do some sanding and polishing of the handles instead of tuning up the edge.;)

well, i fired him off an email for my own pleasure, as i want a knife from him, very much in a certain 'sea monster' style :) we shall see. i have my guilty pleasure mad money from uncle sam to spend, and shopping is therapy.

bladite

agreatscot said:
Dale owes me a Back country utility from late 2004. I have a Nessmuk he did, awsome. Ordered the back country, promises. It POs me that others have got theirs who ordered after me. Guess I better hound him for a while.

Yup, more of the same from the lying POS known as Dale Chudzinski. I have been waiting for 2 knives since the beginning of September, 2004. There are at least 8 of us on this forum with similar story's. He hasn't responded to my request for a refund almost a month ago. I think it's because I wouldn't agree not to post any more of his lies.

Considering that Dale don't even post here, 8 people posting problems with him is a lot. I would not be surprised at all to find out there are 3 times as many people with problems that we don't know about.

Hey All

I received a money order for the money I paid Dale in the mail today. After a paypal payment requested by Dale and sent to "prevent delaying shipment of the knife" followed by 15 some odd months of empty promises and out and out lies, are we square? Not by a long shot. Not to mention I'll eat $30.00 on the change in the exchange rate. The maggot didn't even have the decency to include an apology....

Henry

Back