• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Still no knife from Dale Chudzinski

HenryS said:
Hey All

I received a money order for the money I paid Dale in the mail today. After a paypal payment requested by Dale and sent to "prevent delaying shipment of the knife" followed by 15 some odd months of empty promises and out and out lies, are we square? Not by a long shot. Not to mention I'll eat $30.00 on the change in the exchange rate. The maggot didn't even have the decency to include an apology....

Henry

You have a very bad taste in your mouth about this deal, and rightfully so, but things could have been a whole lot worse. You were treated abysmally, but at least you haven't lost too much.

Keith Montgomery said:
You have a very bad taste in your mouth about this deal, and rightfully so, but things could have been a whole lot worse. You were treated abysmally, but at least you haven't lost too much.

Exactly. At least you didn't lose your honor, integrity, sense of decency, and reputation over it, like Dale did.

I wonder if Dale has decided that he isn't going to make any more knives, so he just doesn't give a damn about his reputation?

I ordered a nessmuk from Dale on the 14th of May, 2006, after reading some of the performance reviews done on the same blade.
I promtly got a reply from him, stating that he would, and i quote: "I would be glad to Make you a Nessmuk."
I then got a reply from him on the 17th of May, where he stated (still quoting): "I can have the knife done within 3-4 weeks." Also: "I hope to make you a knife."

He then sent me a paypal invoice, which i payed in full almost the same day i got it.

I then emailed him on the 31th of May, asking if he had done any progress on the nessmuk i ordered, and generally just making some convivial chatter.
I didn`t get a reply to that one, which enabled my internal 'bugging' mechanism. So i sent him another email on the 14th of June, which he did reply to, explaining that he had been out of town, dealing with family matters. I find that a quite understandable explanation to him not replying.

So i doubt he`s decided to not make any more knives.
In his defence, some times life just hands you quite shitty cards, and there`s nothing you can do until you get dealt a new hand.
Ofcourse, he should`ve straightened things out sooner. So i can understand the proverbial bad taste.
Hopefully i won`t have the same taste in my mouth.

*Crosses fingers and toes*

aarya said:
"I can have the knife done within 3-4 weeks." Also: "I hope to make you a knife."

Yup, I've heard that from him too. The first time was in September of 2004, that's when I paid him in full, for two knives, plus extra, supposedly for a nice piece of wood. I never got anything from him, except empty promises. I asked him several times if he actually had the piece wood, he never answered that question.

aarya said:
So i sent him another email on the 14th of June, which he did reply to, explaining that he had been out of town, dealing with family matters. I find that a quite understandable explanation to him not replying.

Me too, trouble is, he's been telling me that BS since October of 2004!
I've come to the conclusion that he's nothing but a liar.
I believe he uses that excuse because good people will always accept that as a valid reason for endless delays. I had no problem with the delays, until I saw that several people who ordered knives over a year after I paid for mine, already got theirs. They must not have paid him up front.

aarya said:
Hopefully i won`t have the same taste in my mouth.

*Crosses fingers and toes*

Good luck with that!

I find it very interesting that he never replied to my email on May 6 asking for my money back, yet he's telling you a month later that he can have your knife in 3-4 weeks. He told a guy back in December 05 that very same thing, yet he still didn't make my knives, and they were already a year and a half late by then. I gave him another five months to make good on his word, he didn't, so I asked for my money back six weeks ago. He hasn't replied to that, but he has no problem responding to folks placing orders.

Dale Chudzinski's word means nothing to him, he'll lie to you in a heartbeat. The man has no integrity at all. He's a scumbag.

He told me that he hadn't been able to contact me because his computer crashed and he lost my address. I guess he can't keep track of all his lies, because he used that same excuse on me again, months later. I paid him via PayPal, he can log on to his account any time and get my email address, it has not changed, nor has my home address.

Put his name on a search in this forum and you'll see about eight of us with the same stories. Such as, "Your blades are done, I just need to put the handles on", "The handles almost done", "Your knives are done, they just need sheaths". It's nothing but a bunch of lies to string us along. Those are just the ones that posted their problems here. I'm sure there are many more folks being fed this crap, considering he doesn't even post on BF.

Here's an email from him back in March.

<quote>

Hi Bobert

I will not make excuses. I will get your knives finished and in your hand within a week. I will send you pics to prove it. I know this has gone on too long.I understand that you hate me for this deal,I just hope you will use the knives and forget about me.

Please let me know you got this e-mail,I want to make sure we are in contact.

Take Care,

Dale

<unquote>

Like everything he's ever told me, it never happened.
He's a lier, and a thief, that's been my experience.

Here's what I got from him a couple of weeks later when I asked what was up.

<quote>

Bobert

Almost ready to send them.

Can we talk w/out having my e-mails posted on BF ?

Dale

<unquote>

He wants to be able to continue to lie to me, but he wants me to promise not to tell anyone!
Does anybody think this is reputable?

This is a very disturbing thread. I have learned the hard way to never pay in advance whether it be for contracting or knifemaking. You need to hold some leverage to keep the guy honest and focused on finishing your job. Never pay in advance. I can see paying a small amount down if the guy is strapped for cash on the materials needed for your knife, but no more than that. Keep 'em hungry and you'll keep them motivated in making you happy.

I'm really bummed that so many people have had these problems cause I'd have to say my Nessmuk from him is probably one of my top 5 blades:thumbup:

I can totally understand how family problems could mess you up, but the part I can't understand is why take more orders then? Or why not say "I'm backed up a year or more" or something, cause probably about 50% of the folks would still be willing to wait

stripey.jpg

hollowdweller said:
I'm really bummed that so many people have had these problems cause I'd have to say my Nessmuk from him is probably one of my top 5 blades:thumbup:

I can totally understand how family problems could mess you up, but the part I can't understand is why take more orders then? Or why not say "I'm backed up a year or more" or something, cause probably about 50% of the folks would still be willing to wait

stripey.jpg

ah, you are a bad influence :) my now ex-gf (sigh) was enamoured by the goats you have, as she knows others (as do i) who have similar such for the milk and the females (and date night), and the whole trading and market for same - goat milk soap is big! mr stripey doesn't help ;)

yah, i feel for the guy; i don't know what's going on, but his knife price is reasonable i think; there's a market for making what appears to be a stout (ie solid feeling not thick) yet easy to forge thin blade (hint hint you other guys that make things - huge market big $$$); with not much end in sight .. people want product - bark river will help that along i think. so. i've contacted the guy a couple times - he is not answering my emails at least. i'd love to let him make me something, and send it along. i will not, unlike others, send money first though - i'm a nice guy, but not THAT nice.

in the meantime, i have a nessmuk book to read - the second one has been on back order since may 1st... not expecting to see it until JULY middle of. oiy.

baa baa

bladite

Thanks for the bump!

Still no word from Dale. He won't reply to me, but he'll keep right on taking orders. I guess the only thing left to do is take legal action.

He has no intention of ever making good on his word. It's a shame he turned out to be nothing but a liar and a theif.

bobert said:
Thanks for the bump!

Still no word from Dale. He won't reply to me, but he'll keep right on taking orders. I guess the only thing left to do is take legal action.

He has no intention of ever making good on his word. It's a shame he turned out to be nothing but a liar and a theif.

i don't know that's he's still taking orders... i've sent him email and can't manage a hello, let alone an order, let alone ask him anything, so he's not taking mine.

has anyone actually managed to talk to him in the last few months?

bladite

Bladite said:
i don't know that's he's still taking orders... i've sent him email and can't manage a hello, let alone an order, let alone ask him anything, so he's not taking mine.

has anyone actually managed to talk to him in the last few months?

bladite

See post #65 in this thread.
He was taking orders after I asked for my money back, but he still hasn't replied to me.
He's a turd.

I sent him an email a few days ago, since i still haven`t received an email from him, telling me that he`s finished the knife i ordered from him, nor explaining that he`s late. I`ve yet to receive a reply to that email.
Suffice to say, i`m starting to become rather worried that i won`t receive it.

As of the 20th of June, he said that things were getting back to normal, and he was back working in his shop.

I`m going to send him another email today, to see if he`s still alive.
It is strange though, going from quite a nice reputation, to not caring.

I hope he still cares... Though i guess that light is dwindling.

aarya said:
As of the 20th of June, he said that things were getting back to normal, and he was back working in his shop.

He said the same thing to me back in the beginning of 2005, he was only five months late at the time. I never did get anything but lies and empty promises though.

aarya said:
It is strange though, going from quite a nice reputation, to not caring.

This happens occasionally, and I have no idea what goes through the makers mind that causes this transformation.

I guess i won`t be getting the knife from him, i`ve kinda realized that now.
Though i`ll keep hoping till the bitter end, i`m writing that nice bunch of money off on the experience-fairy.
Not good for Dale though, as i still haven`t received an answer on my last email to him.
I don`t hold a grudge in the normal way though. I carry them around in a specially made cloth-bag of mine, and leave them there to stew and boil.
They usually come up with fun and interesting ideas those bags of mine, so i`ll be thinking of something interesting for all of us in this thread.

If only i could get my fly-press from India now, i`d be well on my way to making me own knives. And then i`ll be... Mmmm.... Yep.. :D

Keith: I think it has to do with the ego of a person. Too big, and the whole person leaves the ground. But then again, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Sure, it`ll take more effort to take 'em down, but everyone comes down from their high horse in the end.

I`m guessing Dale just got tired from making knives, or from... Well.. Whatever. Doesn`t really matter much, except that he should`ve taken his site down, if he didn`t intend to be a nice tradesman anymore.

"It takes a real man to honor his word, and a hero to honor other's."

(I think i`ll stop there, as i`m too tired to think straight. :yawn: :eek: :D )

If he didn't want to make knives anymore he shouldn't have taken people's money. He also never should have taken payment for knives and then supplied people that ordered way after those that had paid him already. That kind of stuff is pure BS.

I just received word from him again, after sending him a to-the-point email, asking him if he intended to finish the knife i ordered from him.
His reply, was that he fully intended to finish it, and he should be getting to it ASAP.
So, we`ll see. Though i`ve already accepted the loss, it`ll be interesting to see if he finishes mine before bobert's. Something sure seems fishy.

Back