Stockman roundup.. Lets see 'em...

Wurrwulf - Thanks, I felt the same way as you, but I bought one just so I could play around with RIT liquid dyes. The first one I dyed was just using coco brown, and I poured in about 3/4 of the bottle, with just a little water to just cover up the knife. I then added some dish soap, and a little salt. I let the knife simmer about 30 min, took it out, rinsed off with hot water. then gave it a mineral oil bath for 15 min.
The second knife I mixed half and half with Scarlet Red and Coco Brown, I had to let it simmer for about an hour, I had to keep checking on it because it was pink, then salmon, then finally started to turn rust red brown. I am not sure why the second one took so long but I love them now, and the bone has taken a great translucent color. I will definitely be buying more to dye in the future. You can see in the pics above which one has more red in it. In the future I might try using just Red and Coco Brown.

Thanks for the Tip.

Here my Dad's old timer he used from 1973- 1990. He retired it and I got it that same year. I kicking around getting it restored.

KINDLE_CAMERA_1467802812000.jpg

KINDLE_CAMERA_1467802827000.jpg

KINDLE_CAMERA_1467802804000.jpg

Boys that pocket worn derin.

Wurrwulf - Thanks, I felt the same way as you, but I bought one just so I could play around with RIT liquid dyes. The first one I dyed was just using coco brown, and I poured in about 3/4 of the bottle, with just a little water to just cover up the knife. I then added some dish soap, and a little salt. I let the knife simmer about 30 min, took it out, rinsed off with hot water. then gave it a mineral oil bath for 15 min.
The second knife I mixed half and half with Scarlet Red and Coco Brown, I had to let it simmer for about an hour, I had to keep checking on it because it was pink, then salmon, then finally started to turn rust red brown. I am not sure why the second one took so long but I love them now, and the bone has taken a great translucent color. I will definitely be buying more to dye in the future. You can see in the pics above which one has more red in it. In the future I might try using just Red and Coco Brown.

Thank you very much for the info! I need to get to the craft store to see the dye selection, I reckon.

Was fortunate enough to pick this one up used not too long ago, in real good shape: an #82 Dixie in burnt stag.

ee54014f-906b-415b-93b2-fdd678b604b3_zps33hmtiuf.jpg~original

WOW who made that one.

Reese Bose of Wilfred Works. My very first stockman. I was a bit worried at first due to how high that sheepsfoot rides since I've never handled a stockman set up before but to my pleasant surprise it fits right into your fingers like a glove.

tumblr_obi6a0oUvh1rzq6m9o2_1280.jpg

c2519188cc1ba990e91261b461941673.jpg
My three. The Uncle Henry was from my grandpa, it's a US made model. The yellow KC was with my grandpa when he passed, and the fishing Case I picked up today. I've had a few other cheap stockmen, but have given them away.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Another R.Bose stockman. This one however has modified blades and is 3.5" closed. A zulu spear and a wharncliffe that allow all blades to seat very low during use and grip. My perfect every day carry.

tumblr_odm8joyTi01rzq6m9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_odkrozm4qI1rzq6m9o8_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_odkrozm4qI1rzq6m9o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_odkskvjLjv1rzq6m9o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_odkskvjLjv1rzq6m9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_odkskvjLjv1rzq6m9o3_1280.jpg

Tim, that Reese shadow does look like EDC Nirvana!

I just recently added this 1992 S&M with some nice stag.

473a4390-e074-4e6b-9a74-706a3debc336_zpsgfzppcjk.jpg~original

Tim, that stockman is off the charts! I don't know which is nicer, the bone or those grinds:confused::eek::D

Haha I have to agree with you Jamie :D , they're different points of the spectrum xD I prefer the pocketability of the 3.5" stockman though. I'll have to get a comparison photo tomorrow of the two.

Back