• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

STOLEN KNIVES ALERT: Ken Onion

Actually, those are worth a large fortune, not a small one.
This is terrible, I will be looking out for them (let's face it,
they will not be hard to spot if they show up). My sympathies to Ken.

Have the authorities been checking the local pawn shops? Probably where they ended up, unless some TSA baggage handler wanted to start a Ken Onion collection.

:eek:

What a shame. :(

If he hasn't, he needs to file a theft report with the local authorities at the departure and arrival locations. I highly doubt that TSA and the airlines will do anything about it !

Someone stole the lottery !

My reccolection is that the maximun reimbursement for lost luggage by the airlines is something like $600. Which of course wouldn't even begin to cover it.

I am very sorry to hear this.
I hope that they can be recovered.
Stuff like this just pisses me off to no end.....

I've been doing searches on ebay under "knife" (over 50,000 items) "folding knife" (still thousands) and on the VERY off chance that the thief even knows what he has I also do a search for "onion knife". No luck yet obviously, and I'm sure a lot of you are also checking...I do my search by recently listed items first...just trying to stay vigilant. Who knows if this will ever turn up anything, but gotta try!!

Thats what I was hoping. What is available to knife makers?

As DaveH mentioned, there is basic monetary amount that airlines will cover, but I believe that it only covers luggage and clothing.

I thought that the TSA required the airlines to cover a minimum ~ "up to" $2,500 per passenger (domestic flights)?

International is typically based on the weight of each piece of luggage and it's capped at a set monetary amount per bag.

You can obtain additional insurance (excess valuation coverage), but again, it only covers luggage and clothing and it's capped (I believe the max is $5,000).

Mr. Onion may want to check with his credit card company, if that's the way he paid for the ticket, or his homeowner's/renter's insurance policy.

I've been in hunter mode even from waaaaaaaaaaay over here in PA. ever since I heard about this yesterday. "Jaxx MAD." ... So my brain has been workin' this like a terrier with a bone... :(

A few suggestions:

Other possible search terms...? Pocket knives, gent's knives... onion knives?

~~~> IF the thief doesn't want 12 of the nicest Onions I've ever seen, then these may end up with a STREET VENDOR in S.F. Or maybe Oakland, Long Beach, etc. ( ...or any city near to cities on his intinerary from HI to the Plaza Show.) Every city has an area where street vendors hawk knock off & counterfeit stuff. If a few 'knife guys' living in any of these target or surrounding cities, with some extra time this week could quietly canvas each of these 'vendor zones', maybe we can recover the 12 before the vendor(s) get to sell these.
...Just a thought. Pawnshops were probably tipped off about these first thing this morning with a 'hotsheet' from the police, but hopefully enough cities were on the list for warning pawnbrokers within their city limits.

Mr. Onion is probably incorporated (or his biz), so hopefully he has options for monetary recovery... even if it is in the form of a IRS business deduction/ loss in his corporation's taxes... In this case, he would have charged his air tix to his corporate credit card. ...But that only covers some of the monetary loss. :grumpy: ...And as we all know, that really doesn't cover the sentimental loss or the time spent creating them, OR the joy felt when his works of art are appreciated by others who truly enjoy the craft.

All the best to Ken, and may his missing 12 be returned safely & quickly... :thumbup:
... And may the culprit get all the bad Karma he or she just earned... At once! :thumbdn: :thumbdn: :thumbdn:

Jaxx:mad:

I would contact the TSA and the Airline for full assitance in writting. Possibly in writting from a Lawyer to make it seem you mean more business.

Let it be known to that these were of X value, but they were also in fact 12 knives stolen from a flight. Who knows where these 12 knives could have been placed....This would be a black eye for the TSA security and a problem for whatever airline gets mentioned in the media.

If anything the knives would be worthless as a super hot item. More eyes would be on the look out for help. The bad guy may want to drop em to let em be found.

Isn't this why some knifemakers use FedEx or UPS to deliver their show goods? Full insurance and better traceability.

Of course that doesn't really work for the guys doing last minute things to their knives.

If he has not referred this theft to the FBI, he should. Thefts from airline luggage may, by default, be considered "Theft from interstate shipments", which is a federal crime.
Gonzo

I heard about this in a fellow forumites review of the show. He knows Ken and saw him sitting at the show in front of an empty table... I believe I recall something about Ken stating the loss was well into 5 figures!!!

Truly a sad occurrence and pisses me off to no end!!! :mad: I travel a lot and always worry about this kind of stuff happening to me, but what happened to Ken is horrid!

I’ll keep my eyes peeled in my circles,,, but chances are the d#%$head will probably sit on them for a good while before he/she tries to move them.

My best to Ken in stringing this guy up!
Foo

If he has not referred this theft to the FBI, he should. Thefts from airline luggage may, by default, be considered "Theft from interstate shipments", which is a federal crime.
Gonzo

Ken mentioned in another thread that not only are the local authorities involved, but many other agencies such as the TSA and I'm sure the FBI, Homeland Security, etc. He made a good point, which is that if such a large quantity of knives could disappear undetected on a flight, then we have some MAJOR security concerns, just like Frank Castle mentioned. If KNIVES are being removed from people's bags, and disappear into thin air, they can just as easily "re-appear" in the hands of an evil-doing passenger on a cross country flight, etc. Assuming that it was a security screener, baggage handler or whatever, imagine what one of these unscrupulous individuals could do if he got caught up with the wrong crowd. I know that's a generalization, but Ken's right. This isn't just his problem, this is OUR problem, and it's a big one. I hope the FBI and everybody else is on this in a big way, and I hope when they catch the fool that they beat his ass.

Ken mentioned in another thread that not only are the local authorities involved, but many other agencies such as the TSA and I'm sure the FBI, Homeland Security, etc. He made a good point, which is that if such a large quantity of knives could disappear undetected on a flight, then we have some MAJOR security concerns, just like Frank Castle mentioned. If KNIVES are being removed from people's bags, and disappear into thin air, they can just as easily "re-appear" in the hands of an evil-doing passenger on a cross country flight, etc. Assuming that it was a security screener, baggage handler or whatever, imagine what one of these unscrupulous individuals could do if he got caught up with the wrong crowd. I know that's a generalization, but Ken's right. This isn't just his problem, this is OUR problem, and it's a big one. I hope the FBI and everybody else is on this in a big way, and I hope when they catch the fool that they beat his ass.

Unfortunatly this is nothing new. Guns have been being stolen from Police officers luggage for so long and so frequently that PBAs have started to advise officers which airports and carriors not to fly on because the theft rate is so high on them.

Ken I hope they catch them and find your knives for you.

this is horrible! We will be sooo on the hunt as well for one of those beauties to show up. I am sure everyone has saved these pics for reference, if someone knows what they have, they may not show up for many months or years from now.

paul

This really is a shame and I feel bad for Ken. I suspect that the thief didn't really understand what he was biting off when he took these knives. The majority of the public wouldn't appreciate the worth of a custom knife if it bit them.

If the thief does try to pawn them, he won't get what they're worth. He cannot Ebay them without being discovered. He cannot sell them on an internet knife forum without being discovered. However he proceeds with these unique knives, he's likely not going to reap much because he cannot sell to the guys that know what they're worth without discovery and possible arrest. That's what makes this such a darn shame.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's not likely that these knives will ever surface as a set. He'll likely have to pawn or trade them off one by one in different places to avoid attention. :mad:

Razz

Ken, please add my heartfelt sadness at what happened to you. Just got back from morining jog/'limpathon [keeping 68 body healthy is a chore] and a thought hit me. Years ago I read in I think the Wall Street Journal of one ploy baggage hanlders used to dispose of stolen artifacts: sending it ahead to another airport where a fellow sewer was waiting (e.g. San Fran to O'Hare) with a 'oops, got mis-routed' plausable deniability). Suggest our brethren in other cities be alerted - especially Major Centers. Best wishes to you and made fate present the thief Lorainna Bobbett as a girl friend.

Best.

Isn't it most probable that the theft occurred in Honolulu? I don't know for sure, but it would seem like luggage would be subjected to the most scrutiny (i.e. have the greatest opportunity to be tampered with) at the point of debarkation.

Back