Stone type suggestions

So I am going to be picking up a TSPROF sharpener in the coming weeks. My biggest question is what type of stones should I get? I have no problem making my own mounts out of aluminum and using epoxy to blue down to the backer strip.

I am going to be sharpening stainless kitchen knives, couple new 1075 carbon steel kitchen knives, and some random pocket knives, one is D2.

Don't use epoxy to glue the stone's to the blanks use 3M Super 77 spray and just do a mist coat on each surface and wait until the glue is dry to the touch,if it takes forever for the glue to dry then you used to much,you will find what it say's on the back of the can a good guideline to follow but drying times make take a few minute's longer then what the can say's.

If you want to re-use the blanks just get some contact cement remover.

I have 2 TsProf systems the K02 and K03,the stone's that come with the kit good starter stone's but if I were you get the Venev stone's from Gritomatic the 80 150 240 400 are good stone's in the original resin bond but the 800 1200 and 2000 really suck in the original bond get the OCB resin bond 800 and 1200 grit.

The 800 and 1200 in the OCB resin are good stone's,the problem with the original resin bond 800 1200 2000 grit is there were report's that the diamonds were falling out and they also leave deep scratch's that are hard to get out with a water stone or any normal type of stone if you want a polished edge.

Here is a link to the original stone's

https://www.gritomatic.com/collecti...ds/products/venev-bonded-diamond-for-edge-pro

Here is a link to the OCB resin bond stone's.

https://www.gritomatic.com/collecti...s/venev-ocb-bonded-diamond-stone-for-edge-pro

There are a few other thing's I would link here but I can't because they do not support this site but if you email me at wadenorton2008@yahoo.ca I can send you the link.

Also if you get the Venev stone's ask Konstantin the owner of Gritomatic what grit's of silicon carbide powder you should get to refresh the stone's,you do not need to refresh them all the time and you just use a bit of water and a peace of glass.

Your right Mo2 the stock sic stones do work but there better stones for sure that do a better job,for example the Gritalon sic stone's that sharpeningstones.ru sells are a better then the stock Tsprof sic stones for sure.

Reactions: Mo2
Your right Mo2 the stock sic stones do work but there better stones for sure that do a better job,for example the Gritalon sic stone's that sharpeningstones.ru sells are a better then the stock Tsprof sic stones for sure.

Wade how would you go about getting better stones from that site when you can read what they offer lol.

Back