Stone Width

I’ve settled on an 8” long stone. It will be used on blades between ~2-7” long. Should I go with a 2” or 3” stone width?

For me, I’d choose the wider stone. Less variable when sharpening since you’re working more edge per pass.

I prefer my 3 inch wide stone over my 2 inch. The 2 inch stone definitely gets the job done but 3 inch is better when it comes to 5+ inch blades. Plus if you have 3 inch blades wharncliffes or straight razors, you can just go straight down the stone.

I have sharpened 7" knives on a 2x8" stone. I didn't think I needed more stone. However, I do enjoy working 8- 10" knives on my Norton Tri-hone. Which has 2.5 x 11.5" stones. But how often does one sharper that size blade? Plus, these stones are pricey. DM

I appreciate the input. The 3” is about $13 so I’ll prob go that route. The

Heavy-handed, yes a full size bucking or splitting axe is a different matter. Because I also enjoy working those on a wider stone. DM

I personally prefer 2" as it gives you more control over your pressure when working straight edges. On curved edges it matters very little because you have only a very small contact area at any given time.

Sharpening technic or style will have a big influence on what you prefer. The old oil stone guys that take full length edge leading passes from heel to tip on larger knifes will appreciate them wider and longer stones.

Seriously, if you're dealing with anything other than a dead straight edge, try watching how the streaks develop on your stones. You'll find that they're typically only about 1-2mm wide because that's how little of the edge is contacting the stone at any given time. Wider ≠ faster, and on straight edges that are longer than the stone width will generally actually be slower or only equal in speed to a narrower stone. By all means do things how you feel most comfortable, but this is something to be aware of.

A two inch stone is less than ideal for larger knifes. Just another half inch feels so much better and three inches is better still.
Two inch vs two and a half...

It's just common sense. The two inch stone was a standard width for bench stones, plane irons and chisels. There was a reason for that width at the time.

With narrow stones you are more likely to tilt the blade on the edges of the stone and mesh up the angle. I'd absolutely pick 3" over 2".

I have sharpened 7" knives on a 2x8" stone. I didn't think I needed more stone. However, I do enjoy working 8- 10" knives on my Norton Tri-hone. Which has 2.5 x 11.5" stones. But how often does one sharper that size blade? Plus, these stones are pricey. DM
What kind of bench stones did you have at your exhibit in Las Cruces ? Those were really nice

Back