Stoned Solo ?! Help identify

AG

Banned
Dear All,

I run into a unique spyderco piece, it is a Spyderco Solo model S001PSC (as written on the side of the box). It is a partially serrated but instead of micarta handles it has polished stone ones, smooth white with black and grey dots. What can you tell me of this piece ? how many were produced ? were they sold for a higher price than the micarta version ?

Thanks

I saw one of these on Ebay a month or so ago also. Not sure what the final bid was though. A little off of the subject what was retail on the Solo. I picked one up on a trade and was just curious.
Thanks
Eric

Hi AG,

Spyderco did sell a Solo model with a Corian (same material as the kitchen counter-top Corian) handle. They were made between '93-'94 and our records indicate there were about 100 made. They came in one size only-
2 3/8" blade, either Plainedge or PlainEdge/SpyderEdge combo. In '94 they retailed for about $100.00, ($14.00 more than the Micarta handeled version). Hope this answers your questions, I've only seen one.

Cheer,
Joyce
Spyderco Marketing

Thank you Joyce for your answer, you seem to hit right on target. I am now curious as why/how Sal forgot to mention this weired variation when he took the time & effort is some past posts and explained in detail all the Solo variations (001, 002 003 004 Micarta, FRN, Stainless) - Do you know of any other handle material the Solos had ?

Thanx Joyce, appreciate.

Other Solo variations include some made with black micarta scale on one side with a pearl "full moon", other side had white micarta scale with "red sun". Don't think there are more than 50 of those around. too hard to make.

We also made a few with dinosaur bone scales. beautiful. I think about 10 made.

We also have a FRN Solo. very nice inexpensive "gents folder". + Stainless version.

New "Button Lock Solo" just coming out. AUS-10, full nested liners, button to release linerlock. With pocket clip.

There are probably a few prototypes that were experimental that I'm forgetting.

We'll be promoting the Solo line again through the Web site. Should have all available models presented in the next month or so.

Is this the post that you are referring to in your other post about answering?

sal

Thanks again Joyce and Sal, you have solved the mystery.

Yes Sal, This was the post I was refering you to.

Can you find out for me if I can get (through Guy Refaeli) any of the "exotic" Solos (Dinosaur and pearl handles) ?

Thanks again

New "Button Lock Solo" just coming out. AUS-10, full nested liners, button to release linerlock. With pocket clip.
Sal, I think you do this on purpose
smile.gif
. You just let slip these little titbits of information, just enough to start the saliva flowing
smile.gif
. It's a bit like throwing out burley to attract fish. OK ,so I'm hooked. Do you have any more details blade length, scale material, when can we see a picture of it? Sounds like an excellent "gentleman's folder". I've always liked the Solos but find a clip very convenient.

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

[This message has been edited by Clay Kesting (edited 03-25-2000).]

Back