Stonewash at home

PMQ

I have a knife with Sandvik 14C28N that has all sorts of billboarding and branding on the blade, not sure if it's just paint or engraved. My plan is to SAND the whole blade then stonewash it. Since it's March 2020, I can't go anywhere, my question is, can I acid edged it with lemon, vinegar and mustard? I have read that it's nearly impossible to forced patina a stainless steel, but currently I have LOTS OF TIME.

Thanks

Sanding the logo's of should work. The logo's are most likely made with a laser. That takes away some material but most of the times not much.

Normal household accidics would darken this blade. It has good corrosion resistance. You need at least ferric3chloride.

Stonewashing is easy. Stones or anything else that can scratch the surface of the metal. Use big but also small enough medium so it can get in the corners of the plungeline. A little water an soap. Than shake...

Good luck!
Grt
Joseph

Pea gravel or a handful of stones from you driveway or garden or fishtank gravel, probably nothing bigger than a nickel and smaller and a bit of course sand. I used a few sprays of WD40 in a sturdy plastic jar(old peanut butter jar) and tape any parts you don't want to stonewash (pivot area on folders). Then shake, or what I did was tape it sealed wrap in an old t-shirt tie it up so it can't bust open and throw it in with a load of clothes in the dryer. As for darkening try hot vinegar with lots of salt and see what you get.

Pea gravel or a handful of stones from you driveway or garden or fishtank gravel, probably nothing bigger than a nickel and smaller and a bit of course sand. I used a few sprays of WD40 in a sturdy plastic jar(old peanut butter jar) and tape any parts you don't want to stonewash (pivot area on folders). Then shake, or what I did was tape it sealed wrap in an old t-shirt tie it up so it can't bust open and throw it in with a load of clothes in the dryer. As for darkening try hot vinegar with lots of salt and see what you get.
That is quite a clever idea for tumbling a larger piece of metal. I am both impressed at the inventiveness and horrified at the thought of what my wife's response would be if she ever found out I was using the dryer for such a thing.

Back