Stop pin screw always get loosen

got my large 21 sebenza just two weeks ago, stop pin screw always get loosen during break in, I need to tight it everyday but I noticed the screw almost fell out at this morning, that is a big problem because I can't totally trust my knife if I need to do hard work with it, so I sent email to CRK to request screw and pin but they told me I need to purchase a new one, I think it's not fair to pay more for fix the $450 brand new knife although the screw is not expensive, I accept to pay the shipping fee but just not happy to pay for new screw and pin because old one is defected.

Though not normally needed for the Sebenza, a small dab of Loctite (purple, never use red) will solve the issue.

It may not be an issue of "defective" but rather with an unfavorable stackup of tolerances between the screw and the pin.

You can also swap the pivot screw/pin with one of the others that does not see rotation or movement. That way the one screw you actually need to remove for maintenance would not need Loctite.

This may be a combination of any sort of factors. Vibration, shock, not tightening it enough. Sebenza screws are normally quite tight, have you tried tightening it more?

I use a dab of Loctite 222 on almost every knife just to make sure thing state in place. Probably doesn't need it, but it makes me feel better and I don't have to worry about a screw going a bit loose at an unfortunate time.

The stop pin sits in the stop sleeve therefore it shouldn't be rotating. Therefore screw most probably are having tolerance issues. I would just replace the screw set. I have been using my 21 Large for several years and edced daily and I have not encountered any screw going loose or backing out. It came without any locktite thus I do not use any except for my umnumzaan pivot.

This may be a combination of any sort of factors. Vibration, shock, not tightening it enough. Sebenza screws are normally quite tight, have you tried tightening it more?

I use a dab of Loctite 222 on almost every knife just to make sure thing state in place. Probably doesn't need it, but it makes me feel better and I don't have to worry about a screw going a bit loose at an unfortunate time.

Yes I tight it everyday, almost bending the alley wrench each time so it is 100% tightly but still get loosen after 100-200 times open and close.
I have a stupid question, do I need to disassemble the scale to install new stop pin?

Yes I tight it everyday, almost bending the alley wrench each time so it is 100% tightly but still get loosen after 100-200 times open and close.

That sounds like a lot of opening and closing. Have you considered putting a dab of 222 on the screw?

I have a stupid question, do I need to disassemble the scale to install new stop pin?

No stupid questions. Yes, you need to take the knife apart to replace. You could loosen everything and drop the pin out, but it's easier to take the whole knife apart and reassemble it properly instead of trying to work around it.

Your problem seems to be with the screw set not the pin,which is a sleeve. You can remove the screw set and replace without full disassembly if you want. You can buy this hardware on the CRK website.

I wonder if the pin is a hair too long and preventing the screw head from binding tightly with the titanium scale. If you're going to buy a new screw set anyway I'd sand down the end/rim of the pin a skosh and see if that fixes you up. You won't change the action since the scales are spaced by the collar.

I have heard of this over the years. Honestly I’m the 100+ sebenzas I have owned, I never experienced it though. The male and female screws are interchangeable with the blade pivot, stop pin and back spacer. So try swapping them to another position. This will determine if it’s just a screw issue or something else. Also snug them down, obviously not to where you feel you will strip it, seating the hex wrench fully will help prevent that. Good Luck

This answers a lot of questions. 100-200 times a day? It's a worry bead. Put some Loctite on it. It shouldn't be loosening, but it is, probably due to a tolerance stackup, and the cycle rate definitely contributes to loosening. I'd bet your lock face will wear prematurely as well. If you opened and closed your car door that much something would give there as well.

This answers a lot of questions. 100-200 times a day? It's a worry bead. Put some Loctite on it. It shouldn't be loosening, but it is, probably due to a tolerance stackup, and the cycle rate definitely contributes to loosening. I'd bet your lock face will wear prematurely as well. If you opened and closed your car door that much something would give there as well.

Yes, little wear already, I open and close over 5000 times Within 3 weeks so break in very well, I know some people hard use sebenza over 15 yrs still no problem, so I don't worry about that.

Thanks guys, yesterday I took off completely and cleaned the screw then tighted it exactly 100%,
Today I thumb flicked and light wrist flicked around 200 times, the screw seems still tightly. I probably fixed the problem but not sure.

Thanks guys, yesterday I took off completely and cleaned the screw then tighted it exactly 100%,
Today I thumb flicked and light wrist flicked around 200 times, the screw seems still tightly. I probably fixed the problem but not sure.

Wrist flicking(and possibly your excessive opening & closing) will void your warranty-They say they can tell. It is your knife and you can do what you want, but be aware of who will be responsible.

Wrist flicking(and possibly your excessive opening & closing) will void your warranty-They say they can tell. It is your knife and you can do what you want, but be aware of who will be responsible.

Thank for your advice, I know that so I wrist flick gently, sometimes can't fully open because I don't use enough force.:)

Thank for your advice, I know that so I wrist flick gently, sometimes can't fully open because I don't use enough force.:)
They come with this thing called a thumb stud, that works pretty well :)
as I said your knife. I personally just roll out the blade, but you are not alone-others do it as well.

Back