Stopping Ferric Chloride

A while ago I did a search and found an old post regarding this, but the search function isn't available now so...

I'm wanting to do some creative blackening of a blade with ferric chloride. I was going to use a ground (an old intaglio term) to stop the acid and "draw" in a pattern. Any ideas of what I can use to cover the blade that will facilitate scraping thin lines to reveal the steel in spots?

Thanks for your help!

------------------
John Gonzalez
Exclusive Dealer
Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works

Finger nail polish works great and comes off easliy with Laqure thinner.

U can scratch it to make your patterns.

In the jewelry trade, asphaltum varnish is commonly used. Be sure your blade is very clean or whatever you use for a resist will not stick and the acid will undercut your design. Also, have good ventilation, fumes are very dangerous.

Asphaltum is what I used to use in intaglio etching as well. I just have no idea where to get it. Maybe I'll look on line.

I wonder if I can scratch through nail polish. Has anyone tried it? Otherwise I'll do some practice runs with it.

Thanks everyone!

------------------
John Gonzalez
Exclusive Dealer

U can scratch the nail polish to make designs in it..It is just enamel...I only use it to cover the tangs on folder blades when etching. A friend of mine uses it in her art classes for etching.

Hope this helps ya

Aspaltum is the best for etching.
It is soft. You can coat then scratch through it and get clean lines.
Nail polish or Red laquer works. But its hard after drying and my fuzz up the lines.
Also the nail polish sometimes allows the etch to leak under the scratch.

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
MADD MAXX !

stopping ferric chloride?
easy.
baking soda. when you want to stop the etching,just rub some baking soda into the blade,do it a coupla times if need be.then rinse.
worked for me,anyway.

www.riogrande.com Request their tools and equipment catalog. Free and lots of cool stuff in it!
smile.gif

Thanks all. I'm going to go down to the local college printmaking studio and see if they have any hard ground asphaltum. I'm used to working with that stuff, so I figure it's my best bet. BTW, the Rio Grande catalogues cost $10 (not worth it for what I'm getting). Thanks again...

------------------
John Gonzalez
Exclusive Dealer

Back