Storing Leather

I got a new side in from Wickett and Craig today and I'm accumulating quite a stock of leather. I don't have a lot of room and have just been rolling my hides up and storing them horizontally on a shelf. I was wondering how you guys store your hides. Also, on a full side, any tips on how to cut them for the best use. I usually make a long straight cut somewhere near the middle of the side so I can get belts and straps and then cut pieces up from the belly. Any suggestions on getting the most from a hide?

My rarely used dining room. Before that, it was on the bed in my guest room. I plan to eventually convert my sun room to my workshop room (so I can have everything in one place) and will build some sort of shelving. But for now, this will do. Very interested to see how others are storing theirs.
IMG_20181030_211026.jpg

We have large black plastic shop shelving from the Depot for storage. Ya can kinda see it behind us here. One shelf for chrome tans and oiltans and another for veg tan.

zwBvzHC.jpg

Top and bottom shelf is handle material storage. Its right next to the cutting table so its pretty convenient. I like to keep the leather rolled too, flesh side out. Seems to protect it from dust and life etc.

I like to cut a straight edge along the top of the spine. If I'm cutting belts or straps that is the best place. Sheaths, holsters etc I fit in below that. I do try to keep several belt straps free on top of the side just in case for orders that might come in and then I'll use it as I'm getting close to the end of that side. I use the belly for welts but am pretty selective there as to what I'll use. There's always some I'll throw away.

How the pros do it. Nichole wandering down the Wicket and Craig aisle at The Hide House in Napa Ca.

QA2tJXY.jpg

Latigo anyone?

10ljKAx.jpg

Double shoulders:

r1sySwF.jpg

A whole wall of pre cut lacing:

HmtKqAD.jpg

Rummaging through the discount aisle:

qmtYx7c.jpg

Me too! Its about 6 hours from us. Only been there twice.

Thanks for posting the pics Dave and ANovinc. I'm not sure I'd like to have a Hide House near me as I spend too much on leather as it is. I would like to have the space to store hides flat like that tho. I guess everyone is storing there leather rolled and laying on a shelf or table. Don't know for sure, as there were 176 views and only 2 responses. I saw on another site where a maker was using cardboard Sonotube cut to different lengths to store rolled hides vertically. I might have to try something like that as I have some closet space available.

Back