Straight Balistol Didn't Get It Done

What defines a man is not what's gone.
What defines a man is what he does with what remains.
Denis

This is really good. I'm writing it down and gonna memorize it. Hugely profound. Right now the wife wants me to take whats left and go cut the grass...........

Thank you for kind words.

Profound, schmofound!
Just no more of that half man stuff.

You got your hands, you got your head.
No wheelchair can stop you from using either, and you've got a lot to contribute with both.

Now- I gotta go smear WalMart's best mineral oil on some black handle slabs... :)
Denis

No smear man get ya a used water bottle or something, cut the top off and put the blade in handle down and fill it up and let her soak for a few days and it will do wonders :thumbup::thumbup::D

Yeah, thought of that after I got home.
Don't think I bought enough. I'll have to look for a small jar. :)
Denis

If you can find Bookies still there's probably tons of them mason jars about.

We've got a boatload of Masons, just don't know if I've got enough oil to fill one to the level of covering the handles.
Denis

Dug up a tall wide mouth, now three horn-handled khukuris are planted in it.
Tossed my oldest HI in with the two more recent. It hasn't, surprisingly, shrunk as much as the two newer ones, but decided it can't hurt & I needed to bring the oil level up.
Did not have enough to fully cover the horn sections, about half an inch short.

Expecting fireworks shortly when Bubbles discovers the "vase" & three upended sharp-edged "flowers" on her kitchen island....
Denis

I just fill the toilet tank up with mineral oil and flush it a few times of course then top it off. Then stuff all your khuks handle down in the toilet. Kinda gnarly lookin and you have to leave the light on in case your wife might have to go in the middle of the night but it works! I use her bathroom while im doing this btw.

Disclaimer: Dont believe a word of this:D

Last edited:
I just fill the toilet tank up with mineral oil and flush it a few times of course then top it off. Then stuff all your khuks handle down in the toilet. Kinda gnarly lookin and you have to leave the light on in case your wife might have to go in the middle of the night but it works! I use her bathroom while im doing this btw.

Seriously?:eek:

I get my mineral oil from Walmart for pretty cheap. Usually sold as a "laxative" in the drugs area.

I prefer to cut the top off a plastic water bottle and bury the bottle in a bucket of sand. If I need support to keep it from falling over, I impale a cardboard box over it.

Toilet tank???
Yoikes!

Balanced the knives, jar holding steady, no sparks from Bubbles (she's actually used to finding strange things in strange places here), and I can't tell about the handles but the blades look like they've grown half an inch. :)

That's where we found the oil yesterday- in the WalMart laxative section.
Denis

Was gong to buy one of these knives, but due to all the shrinkage handle threads I don't think I want to deal with problem handles. I think they would have found a solution to or a material that holds up. I guess if product is selling their is no need to improve it.

Was gong to buy one of these knives, but due to all the shrinkage handle threads I don't think I want to deal with problem handles. I think they would have found a solution to or a material that holds up. I guess if product is selling their is no need to improve it.

All natural material handles need to be cared for periodically. The only solution is to use a stabilized synthetic material, because these are made by hand in the tradition way, using G10, Kraton, Micarta, etc...is unfeasible.

If you do not buy a blem with any handle issues, then with a little maintenance for its care would be sufficient to keep any handle issues at bay.

It's the same with any carbon steel blades, you need to maintain them, or they rust, correct? Same with natural material handles.

These khukuris are made in Nepal where there is high humidity, then they are shipped to Nevada, where it has a very low humidity level, which may contribute to some shrinkage, and in extreme conditions, cracks. Thus, it is very important to hydrate your khukuri when you receive it.

Sometimes while the khukuris are in storage in Reno, they develop handle issues, due to the low humidity. These issues are fairly easy to remedy with a little knowledge, and these blades are sold at a discount on this forum.

HI never sells handles or blades with any sort of cosmetic defects as stock items, but only as blemishes, and they are sold only here in the HI forum.

Last edited:

More for me my friend. You don't know what your missing. If you try one, you'll be hooked like the rest of us I'm sure.

See, I've never had any issue with shrinkage at all, it's based on where you live in comparison to Auntie, some places handles swell and in others they shrink. If you're like me they stay the same. The only time's I've oiled my handles is to see what the wood looks like after it's been oiled due to the change in color that the wood might undergo, besides that I've never had issues with shrinkage or anything of the sort.

See, I've never had any issue with shrinkage at all, it's based on where you live in comparison to Auntie, some places handles swell and in others they shrink. If you're like me they stay the same. The only time's I've oiled my handles is to see what the wood looks like after it's been oiled due to the change in color that the wood might undergo, besides that I've never had issues with shrinkage or anything of the sort.

I've never had any issues with shrinkage either, I live in the SF Bay Area in CA. In fact, some of the handles that were sold as a blem with slight handle shrinkage, have all swelled back up, due to the high humidity here, and there is no sign of gaping, or anything.

I do soak all of my new khuks for 1 - 2 days in mineral oil when I get them, and treat them once a year with a mineral oil rubdown, and then BLO treatment.

Again, if one does not properly maintain their "tools", then you were not meant to have these pieces of functional art.

You can still buy knives in California?
Denis

Sure, just don't get caught with them...lol

Basically, you can carry a sword around if you want, it just has to be unconcealed. You may get some rather strange looks, police harassment, etc...but it is legal.

I only carry mine when camping, or backpacking. I do keep my Tirtha CAK in my car for emergencies, but that's about it.

I do carry my IBBB, or Kagas Katne; and a Spyderco Delica 4, as my EDCs

I also carry a PPK very concealed, if I go to any seedy areas.

Back