Straight Balistol Didn't Get It Done

You carry a sword camping? :)

That's a different approach.

Used to get calls on a guy carrying a sword over his back at grocery stores & so on for a few weeks.
We'd go out, talk to him, gauge his demeanor, and leave him at it.

He disappeared eventually, probably got tired of dealing with police on a regular basis. :)
We had no real choice, people get nervous & call in "Man With A Sword", had to go check it out.

I consider the world in general a pretty seedy place nowdays.
What I carry isn't an attention-getter like a big blade, but it IS bigger'n a PPK. :)
Denis

You carry a sword camping? :)

That's a different approach.

Used to get calls on a guy carrying a sword over his back at grocery stores & so on for a few weeks.
We'd go out, talk to him, gauge his demeanor, and leave him at it.

He disappeared eventually, probably got tired of dealing with police on a regular basis. :)
We had no real choice, people get nervous & call in "Man With A Sword", had to go check it out.

I consider the world in general a pretty seedy place nowdays.
What I carry isn't an attention-getter like a big blade, but it IS bigger'n a PPK. :)
Denis

I do take my sword camping to practice with. I of course bring my m43. Anything over 4", needs to be unconcealed .

If I expect to go into a high risk location, I pack my Sig 226.

Thanks for the insight guys. I have been following the blem sales also and continue to be interested. For owners in cold winter climates must these knives be stored at room temperature?

I typically bring my blades inside and rarely leave them outside the house any time of the year, I suppose it may not be necessary but the cold WILL effect the steel (I.E make it more brittle) so it may be best to keep them inside.

for my few horn grips, i buy pure lanolin (from the pharmacy) in a tube, a little goes a long way. leave on for a day or so before rubbing it off. no messy jars of spillable fluids required. (most of the farmer's - 'country' - supply shops or feed stores around here carry horsey/bovine stuff like hooflex, the lanolin is cheaper tho.)

Can't SEE any difference in the handles soaking yet, but I'd swear the blades have grown another half-inch. :)
Denis

Bwanna,
Please knock off this half of a man crap!

I have fully abled bodied young men on the street where I live try to bum change from me cause life is hard and they just don't know what to do!

I ask them, Are your hands & feet broken? Can't you do anything for yourself? Yeah, life can be hard and suck at the same time.
Now get out there and do what you can to make it better as long as you sit here trying to bum change you will never feel good about yourself no matter how much money people give you or how much you drink.

You are a far better and complete man that most in this world:mad: and don't you forget it!

I, for one, appreciate Mr. Bawanna's humor :D, don't take everything he says seriously, guys :). I mean, most of the time he's joking.

I still think, though, that when he says his Curved Spine is gooderer than Bookie's, he' serious :D. (Ha! That should get Bookie's attention and make him shake off that nasty bug and grace us with his presence again. ;) )

Can't SEE any difference in the handles soaking yet, but I'd swear the blades have grown another half-inch. :)
Denis

Personally I don't soak bone or horn in any oils. If I want to shine it up and protect it. Iuse a buffing wheel and white rouge or what works great and you don't need any power equipment to do is use a car of auto or floor wax, spread out some newspapers and one of those Micro-fiber cloths and put a heavy coat of wax on the blade and the handle and let dry, then its Buffing time!

This also keeps the blade from oxidizing on carbon steels and even helps with the finger print type stuff on stainless steels. I live by the ocean so anything that helps keep carbon steels from oxidizing is a good thing.

As far as cold effecting steel. it doesn't get cold enough to mess with any knife steel heat treatment outside. The condensation can increase rust/oxidation and the expand/contract effect can put wear & tear on handles & epoxies. But it won't change the temper of the steel. Also If you live in a humid/salt climate like I do. Don't store your knives in the sheaths as the sheaths will attract moisture.

Yes, I was slow to pick up Bwana's self deprecating humor. :nonchalance:

Rhino,
I'm soaking mine to try to restore shrunken horn sizing.
The one is so bad it's unusable without gloves & as I mentioned earlier I don't want to take a file to that one.
Wood, yes; horn, no. :)
Denis

Quick somebody tell me what self depricating means? Is that a good thing or a bad thing.

Santa Monica can't be too far from San Diego can it, well I guess it could be, it's a pretty long state, near an inch long on the map. I'll have to look.

I was just in San Diego, you could have showed me some of them panhandler, (probably had cadilacs parked a block away) and we could have done some stomping.

I don't take life or being a derelict too seriously, that's for sure.

And for the record my Curved Spine IS gooder than Bookies and I'm very serious on that one.
He's feeling plumb useless hisself being down sick when everyone is trying to help the folks in Nepal. Know that he's thinking of Auntie and the poor folks over there and working to help them just like the rest of us.
And he does check the forum from time to time so dont' think anyone is out of reach of his voodoo skills.
Hope he's still focused on Ndog, saved me a lot of pain and suffering myself.

Rhino,
I'm soaking mine to try to restore shrunken horn sizing.
The one is so bad it's unusable without gloves & as I mentioned earlier I don't want to take a file to that one.
Wood, yes; horn, no. :)
Denis

Denis,
I understand and agree with my fellow knife maker Buddy that WAX is the best protectant and a humidifier of some sort to fill the moisture back into the Horn/Antler. Ivory is really teeth while Horn/Antler is like Hair Keaoten

Quick somebody tell me what self deprecating means? Is that a good thing or a bad thing.

Santa Monica can't be too far from San Diego can it, well I guess it could be, it's a pretty long state, near an inch long on the map. I'll have to look.

I was just in San Diego, you could have showed me some of them panhandler, (probably had cadilacs parked a block away) and we could have done some stomping.

I don't take life or being a derelict too seriously, that's for sure.

And for the record my Curved Spine IS gooder than Bookies and I'm very serious on that one.
He's feeling plumb useless hisself being down sick when everyone is trying to help the folks in Nepal. Know that he's thinking of Auntie and the poor folks over there and working to help them just like the rest of us.
And he does check the forum from time to time so dont' think anyone is out of reach of his voodoo skills.
Hope he's still focused on Ndog, saved me a lot of pain and suffering myself.
Bwanna,
Here is the official take on Self Deprecation

Self-deprecation is the act of reprimanding oneself by belittling, undervaluing, or disparaging oneself,[1] or being excessively modest.[2][3] It can be used in humor and tension release.[4] Self-deprecation is often perceived as being a characteristic of certain nations, such as Great Britain, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand, where "blowing one's own trumpet" is frowned upon.[5] Famous examples include Irish comedian Ruairi Culleton and English comedian David Mitchell. It is also seen as a major component of the comedy of American comedians such as Rodney Dangerfield, Phyllis Diller, Joan Rivers,[6] Louis C.K., Don Knotts,[7] Woody Allen,[8] Zach Galifianakis, Mike Birbiglia, Carrot Top, and Conan O'Brien.

Santa Monica is about 200 miles from San Diego but a whole different planet!;) Let me know if you are passing through? We can have some fun locally and dinner is on me for you and your wife of course.

Back