Streaky Damascus

Hello! I have been trying to make damascus by hand and keep coming up with the same issue. The 1095 looks really streaky after etching. I have ground out all of the visible flaws, or so I think, cleaned with acetone and let dry before etching. Still streaky! Any thoughts or advise? The pic below is a 1095/15n20 with a 1095 core. (I needed more steel so did a san mai)

thumbnail

If it has low layers, it’s just the pattern from the 1095. Mono heat treated steel will show some directional pattern when etched. That’s my guess.

Hoss

Cant see a picture. But generally silver streaking is from a contaminated rag or etching solution. If the streaking is dark or other wise etched then it’s not the cleaning or enchant. Is your steel heat treated, you will not get an accurate etch on soft steel. Also sand up to around 600 grit befor etching. I usaly do the etch for a few min and then pull it out and gently sand it Under running water to get all the new oxide off. Then back in the etch for 5-10 min. Then repeat the wash and sand. Keep going back and forth between these steps to get the etch you like. You can use degreased steel wool as well which works real good.

I see streaking from people using a single long etch. The bubbles cause longitudinal streaks. As JT said, you have to etch a bit, clean the blade, etch more, clean, etc. until you get the desired amount of etch.

I see streaking from people using a single long etch. The bubbles cause longitudinal streaks. As JT said, you have to etch a bit, clean the blade, etch more, clean, etc. until you get the desired amount of etch.
Thank you. I have it sanded to 2000 grit. I think I will try and change out the etching solution to see if that helps.

2000 grit wow. I find etching Damascus works best around 600 grit. It seams like the etchant likes to have a-little courser finish to bite into.

Drop the acetone. It can leave a film that creates streaking. Dawn dish soap and warm water.

Drop the acetone. It can leave a film that creates streaking. Dawn dish soap and warm water.
I never had a problem with acetone but I also just wash it with water and dawn

I never had a problem with acetone but I also just wash it with water and dawn

Interesting, every time I use it I get streaks. Maybe we have a mandated additive up here that you guys don’t?

Interesting, every time I use it I get streaks. Maybe we have a mandated additive up here that you guys don’t?
It might not be an additive. The problem with acetone is that it evaporates really quickly and leaves whatever it dissolved behind. You either need to wipe multiple times with acetone on a clean towel, or rinse with acetone, which is a bit cost prohibitive. I try not to use it because it dissolves and/or softens plastic (including some of the gloves I use) and because of the fumes.

It might not be an additive. The problem with acetone is that it evaporates really quickly and leaves whatever it dissolved behind. You either need to wipe multiple times with acetone on a clean towel, or rinse with acetone, which is a bit cost prohibitive. I try not to use it because it dissolves and/or softens plastic (including some of the gloves I use) and because of the fumes.
I have been playing with a few ideas on solvent vapor washing blades. this way you dont waste it and its allways clean

I have been playing with a few ideas on solvent vapor washing blades. this way you dont waste it and its allways clean
That would make a lot of sense if you have to clean a lot of blades. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

In chem labs when cleaning glassware etc with acetone, we scrub, wipe , but then rinse with a squirt bottle with a thin stream. This cleans without residue.

In chem labs when cleaning glassware etc with acetone, we scrub, wipe , but then rinse with a squirt bottle with a thin stream. This cleans without residue.
That's exactly what we did in my college chemistry labs a long time ago.

I have always done the following before etch but it also aligns a bit with how I like damascus finished which is NOT with a thick, fragile layer of black carbon on the blade.
  1. Make sure you ACTUALLY have the finish you think. And deeper scratches you've smoothed over but not removed will be greater revealed when some of that smoothing etches away. Lots of sanding mistakes show up unforgivingly in an etch.
  2. Make sure the blade is clean. I would sometimes on slightly lower grit finishes use something like 0000 steel wool JUST before etch to make sure the steel was fully exposed, no odd oxidation that may have happened, who knows.
  3. FECL readily dilutes with water so it causes no harm and you can use this to help. I have never seen someone else advise this but I over time learned to dip my blade into some warm CLEAN water and then immediately dip in the etch. This originated as I do many, lighter etches with a polish inbetween so was often de-contaminating the blade right after an etch with a quick ammonia spray and a dip in water. Quick polish with some superfine grade wool or 2500 grit flex paper to expose some new grain, dip/scrub in water to remove dust and re-etch. This seemed to remove any and all surface tension issues with the blade already wet, never had a single bubble or anything as the water initially coated the whole blade. I'd then swirl in the etchant and I assume below the surface that water washed away cleanly and started the etch. I've never had a single case of "streaking" from an etch that wasnt a finish error before the etch, but a pic is really the only way to confirm. The blade isnt ready for etch, the pattern is inherently "streaky" by very nature or you're getting contaminants on the blade surface prior to, or during the process of breaking the surface of the etchant....thats my take.
I assume the "streaks" follow the direction of the sanding/grinding you did? if so thats a something to help diagnose.

Back