1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Stretch FRN availability?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by knifetert, Feb 27, 2017.

1. knifetert

knifetert

Jan 17, 2017
    New guy, not a knife enthusiast here. I was given a Delica a long time ago, seems like a nice knife but don't use it much due to it having combo edge, not enough length of plain blade.

I am debating getting a Delica vs Endura plain blade, and ran across the Stretch which is in between them in size so I'm thinking it might be a good choice. I just want a basic FRN version in black. But it doesn't seem to be available. I see see stores saying it's discontinued, and one place offering pre-orders for $80 with no availability date. A few places including Amazon are offering it for $130+ which is out of my price range.

What's the deal, is it a discontinued knife, or are they transitioning to a new model or something? Is it going to be available for $80 or less again any time soon?

2. kershawguy13

kershawguy13

May 8, 2014
    The standard vg10 Stretch has been discontinued IIRC

3. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    The frn Stretch 1 was discontinued, the pre-orders should be for the new frn Stretch 2. Not sure of the eta.

4. Knifeoholic

Knifeoholic

Feb 8, 2016
    Discontinued indeed unfortunately. I'd say your best guess would be to wait for a Stretch 2 as mentioned above, or take a look here on the exchange. They are great knives.

5. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013

You are going to get RAPED... Prices are high.

Just wait for the new updated model.

6. luke86

luke86

Mar 29, 2015
    The original stretch with black frn and vg10 has been discontinued. The pre-orders you speak of are for the updated stretch 2 which is black frn and vg10. So do answer your question yes it has been discontinued and yes it is also being updated. Your best bet is to just wait on one. I too would love to know when they will be available but have no idea.

7. Knifeoholic

Knifeoholic

Feb 8, 2016
    Warriors and wonders still had them in stock a few days ago but now they're gone. I logged on last night to order one in VG-10 and one in HAP40, but...no luck. Luckily I snagged the HAP40 version though!, and they were still showing in stock, just a little pricier than VG-10. Worth it though in my opinion, just a thought! Best of luck to ya!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  8. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    It looks like DLT Trading still has the original FRN Stretch in stock. The price is a little more than what the new Stretch 2's will be sold for. It's not priced too bad if you'd prefer the original but you may just want to wait until the new version hits the market.

9. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    There is still a place with a HAP40 model for sale at a good price. They would SOONER sell it now as later.

10. knifetert

knifetert

Jan 17, 2017
    Thanks for the info, people. Yes, it was a Stretch 2 I was looking at for pre-order. Wish I knew how long it will be, a matter of weeks or months?

11. hank_612

hank_612

Jan 13, 2010
    BBS had them last time I looked.

12. martyq

martyq Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    If you're going to get one Hap40 is best bet IMO. Easy to sharpen amazing edge retention.

13. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Knifetert,

Welcome to our forum.

sal