Strider blade abnormality

So, I recently bought my first strider, an SNG, from a reputable vendor and it came in today. I really like the knife, its a great size and really comfortable in the hand, but when I went to wipe what I assumed were finger prints off the blade, the "smudging" wouldn't come off. It looks like I've got some kind of odd discoloration actually in the surface of the blade. I've already talked to the vendor and they'll let me exchange it if I want, but it's kinda a hassle. You guys have any idea what this is? (Sorry for the blurry iPhone photos)

image.jpg

That looks like the same one I have, coyote brown CPM154? Mine definitely didn't have that.

Hmmm...I've owned 20ish Striders and haven't had one blade with that problem. If it is a problem for you I would swap it out with the retailer.

That looks like the same one I have, coyote brown CPM154? Mine definitely didn't have that.

Yep, that's the one Hauling. I've heard Strider's CPM154 is pretty solid, so I was looking forward to trying it out. The spot is very odd, almost like a chemical got dripped on it. Could it be some kind of side effect from the heat treat?

Hmmm...I've owned 20ish Striders and haven't had one blade with that problem. If it is a problem for you I would swap it out with the retailer.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking Alchemy. I guess I'll get to do another week or so of eagerly looking forward to the FedEx truck.

I wouldn't mind if it was a <$75 folder...but a Strider? Exchange that!

Sucks man, but that would bug me too. Sweet knife though otherwise, great choice.

It looks kind of like an oil smudge to me. Why not try cleaning the blade with rubbing alcohol before sending it back?

I'd send it back too. That's a blem and should be priced accordingly. You'll be really happy when your new one arrives. I know it sucks to have to wait, but my guess is that you'll be glad you did in the end.

No doubt, that would kill re-sale if you wanted to sell it, could you imagine, yeah don't mind that it just a little issue with the heat treat...:rolleyes:

Back