Recommendation? STRIDER KNIVES BANNED FROM IMPORTING INTO CANADA ?

Hi Everyones,

I just bought a strider smf and paid it BEFORE seeing the new canadian laws (2018) about almost all folding knives banned/seized by CBSA.

The seller and I are now super anxious , seller same to not offer me refund and we are chatting about a solution right now.

my URGENT questions is :

---DID YOU HAD YOUR FOLDER (whatever the company/brand) seized by CBSA in 2019-2020 ! ???

---DID YOU IMPORTED & RECEIVED YOUR FOLDER WITHOUT ISSUES , Please tell me your story ASAP its really important

---DID IM SAFE FROM IMPORTING A STRIDER KNIFE IF THE BLADE PIVOT IS TIGHT TO A POINT ITS VERY DIFFICULT TO OPEN THE BLADE EVEN WITH TWO FINGERS ?

Im super anxious guys....

I just got a Swayback in and before that a PM2 and before that a Dodo. All from various spots in the USA like Blade HQ, ebay with no issues and all but one stopped and opened by the CBSA.

I dont know theses knives. but in your personal opinion , did im safe with strider if steel pivot is tighten or blade taken apart the handle ?
did you asked sellers special packaging procedure prior to shipping process ?

EDIT : what the one package stop and inspected by CBSA had particulary ?
--did you remember the carrier it was used for this package ?
--how the papers was declared ? "gift , declaration content , insured value ...."

its important...

The knives all ship labeled as knives in most cases from large knife retail stores that no doubt the CBSA is well aware of.

I don't has for any special handling. All knives are valued at the normal US MSRP. Both US Customs and Border Protection and the CBSA have a good idea what stuff's worth and when they find something mislabeled or undervalued the CBP will bounce it back to the sender and the CBSA will levy duty and other fees based on a real value. For sure they can't check "every" package but if you're the fish they catch they are utterly unsympathetic.

The CBSA uses x-ray machines to check packages so dismantling knives had limited value.

If a package is stopped and opened it will be reseal with tape that indicates the contents were inspected.

I would not try to import switchblades or balisongs at all in pieces or not. I would also avoid most current flipper knives or button locks that you can shake open.

Most of that brand of knife that I've seen are either frame lock or liner lock and don't normally ring any alarm bells.

I had a Ferrum Forge Mordax sold by MassDrop seized and destroyed by the CBSA. The reason it was seized was because it had a flipper, according to official documents. I wouldn't import any knives with really weak detents or knives with flippers. I wouldn't think a Strider SMF would have any issues with the CBSA.

I had a Ferrum Forge Mordax sold by MassDrop seized and destroyed by the CBSA. The reason it was seized was because it had a flipper, according to official documents. I wouldn't import any knives with really weak detents or knives with flippers. I wouldn't think a Strider SMF would have any issues with the CBSA.

You "wouldn't think" that Strider SMF would have any issues with CBSA ...but you are not 100% sure...

Did you will plan to order another folder you would fall in love with (ship from U.S. to CANADA) since this law ?
Did you will have the seller to ship the knife apart next time you will do a purchase ?

You "wouldn't think" that Strider SMF would have any issues with CBSA ...but you are not 100% sure...

Did you will plan to order another folder you would fall in love with (ship from U.S. to CANADA) since this law ?
Did you will have the seller to ship the knife apart next time you will do a purchase ?
I wouldn't think, the CBSA does have a certain level of discretion so with that human element I can never be 100% sure. I pretty much only use knives with flippers, since the "index flipper" was the reason my knife was seized, I won't be ordering any knives from the U.S. anytime soon. It is important to note, this isn't a "Canadian Law" this is just a new CBSA policy.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I don't know of any retailers that will disassemble knives and ship them. The updated CBSA policy has largely stopped my knife purchases as it's now extremely risky for knives with flippers to even send back to the U.S. for warranty repairs.

Last edited:
Back