Strider SMF vs Hinderer XM-24

Seeing as how my family has a long line of military history, I can assure you all I will never buy a Strider product. Even if that was not the case, I still like Hinderers better.

Does the cost have any bearing. I agree ZT is a less costly direction, but not necessarily cheaper. I've had an XM18, and it was extremely well built. I still have a couple of SnG's and don't plan on getting rid of them. The full flat grind cut's very well for an overbuilt knife. Of the ones I've had, the XM18 was more bombproof, but was not as good at cutting as the SnG.

I like my SMF cc. Had a hinderer it is a great knife. But I like the feel of the strider better just my opinion. Either one is a good choice. If I'm buying a custom knife the maker's attitude becomes part if the equation. In a product knife it's more just about the knife.

I've owned several (atleast 10)and have yet to have a single lock fail or screws come out on their own or have it burst into flames in my hands.

I've also used their warranty service(knife was fine, I messed it up acid etching it) and it is the best I've come across thus far.

I can't speak from experience with Hinderer, BUT I've heard nothing but good about them. I have a friend that owns several and loves em.

End of the day, up to you. Both great knives that are fairly different. Just depends on your taste:):thumbup:

Good thing you aren't spending your money then huh? Stop trolling already, if you can't contribute anything to the topic, move along.

I am not trolling. My position is that no one with a functioning moral compass should spend one thin dime on the products of those totally unrepentant Stolen Valor flakes. It's not the "same old crap" as the fraud is ongoing and no apology has ever been issued. Without their secret squirrel bullshit, no one would have ever bought a Burger & Poland and this thread would be ____________ vs. Hinderer?

It would be in a just world without the enablers of fraud and con men that is.

You're certainly not formally endorsing that forum members never again make mention of the ongoing character issues of the con from Gondor and his lying pal, are you?

If you won't buy from a company run by people that are immoral, you better start walking because all of the auto companies are in that boat.

If you won't buy from a company run by people that are immoral, you better start walking because all of the auto companies are in that boat.

There are certain things that can't be avoided. Collecting and using knives is a hobby. I could throw out all my knives except 1 and I would be able to function in life.

Because of this I reserve the right to be a little more picky about who gets my business. As a veteran myself I will never support Mr. Burger and I think he is a complete scumbag. Even if I wasn't a vet I wouldn't support him because I don't trust liars.

If there was no ethical dilemma I still wouldn't own one of his knives because you can find better deals for that kind of money.

Next mob hunt, pitchforks and torches my treat;)

If I'm buying a custom knife the maker's attitude becomes part if the equation. In a product knife it's more just about the knife.

Geez, I like both of these guys.

If we start talking about nasty criminal CEO's of major U.S. companies, we're going to have a very long thread.
Let me see and hold the quality; you can keep personalities all to yourself...in the proper forum.

Hinderers are excellent quality. Striders are excellent quality. What else is important when you need a good knife?

Sonnydaze

Last edited:
What else is important when you need a good knife?

That I wasn't supporting total schmucks with my hard earned money? There are plenty of good makers and companies out there that didn't assclown their way into relevance.

The guys is asking about two knives not the guys morals. Its fine to say that he did that to give warning. That does mean something to people so ok. But to say people have no moral compass that buy his knives thats ridiculous. I own one I served in the marines too and didnt lie about it. But I bought a strider I guess my moral compass is way off. A place with out fraud and cons with no enablers yeah ok. Thats a dream world dude its in human nature. World Peace made possible by not buying striders. For every one else if you dont buy his knives because he is a liar thats fine. Everyone makes there own choices and it is understandable for those that do buy them you are responsible for the downfall of humanity.

I am not trolling. My position is that no one with a functioning moral compass should spend one thin dime on the products of those totally unrepentant Stolen Valor flakes.

Oh well, I guess according to the internet my moral compass done got busted.
Maybe I should get a moral GPS instead...

Go with a Hinderer. Fewer issues in general with the knives, and none of the aforementioned issues with the maker.

If you go with a Strider, you may as well go with a Dalton. I wonder how many people here who do not care about who made the knives would be seen carrying one of those? :rolleyes:

I am not trolling. My position is that no one with a functioning moral compass should spend one thin dime on the products of those totally unrepentant Stolen Valor flakes. It's not the "same old crap" as the fraud is ongoing and no apology has ever been issued. Without their secret squirrel bullshit, no one would have ever bought a Burger & Poland and this thread would be ____________ vs. Hinderer?

It would be in a just world without the enablers of fraud and con men that is.

You're certainly not formally endorsing that forum members never again make mention of the ongoing character issues of the con from Gondor and his lying pal, are you?

Your other post got reported for exactly that, trolling. If you don't know what it means, here is a description. You stated your opinion on the matter, as did other folks. Yet you persisted with foul language and mild insults. No one here insulted you, called you a dumbass or anything remote close. All I said, was that it was a good thing the OP wasn't spending your money and asked you to either stay on topic and move on. Now, here we are again. Sidetracking his thread, because you are on some kind of crusade. Again, if you don't like something, DO NOT spend YOUR money on it.

Why make things so much more complex than they need to be? Not everything is about you dude. Your red herring is already starting to stink up the place, yet here you are itching to pick a fight. I implore you to think things through before saying something you will regret. You don't know jack about me, so don't act cute with me. If you have a problem with Mick, go take it up with him tough guy. Stop derailing threads with your nonsense, you wouldn't happen to be looking to pick a fight to boost your own ego now would you?

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with hinderer's knives and as much as Id love to have one its out of my price range at the moment. I do have a strider PT and have an SNG on the way and it have to say its got to be one of my most comfortable knives. Say what you will about the guy he makes and damn great knife, I prefer to leave the past in the past. If he was still going around preaching lies it would be a different story, as far as I can tell he hasn't said anything about it in years so when is enough enough?

Rev keep doin what you do cuz I like your style :D

I have held both. IMHO they're not even in the same class. Hinderer makes some of the most impressive knives i've ever seen. Striders are nice, but no nicer than a good HTM Gunhammer IMHO

Your other post got reported for exactly that, trolling. If you don't know what it means, here is a description. You stated your opinion on the matter, as did other folks. Yet you persisted with foul language and mild insults. No one here insulted you, called you a dumbass or anything remote close. All I said, was that it was a good thing the OP wasn't spending your money and asked you to either stay on topic and move on. Now, here we are again. Sidetracking his thread, because you are on some kind of crusade. Again, if you don't like something, DO NOT spend YOUR money on it.

Why make things so much more complex than they need to be? Not everything is about you dude. Your red herring is already starting to sticnk up the place, yet here you are itching to pick a fight. I implore you to think things through before saying something you will regret. You don't know jack about me, so don't act cute with me. If you have a problem with Mick, go take it up with him tough guy. Stop derailing threads with your nonsense, you wouldn't happen to be looking to pick a fight to boost your own ego now would you?

I get where you are coming from loudly and clearly. Lots of posters let "nonsense" guide their buying decisions, but you are right, the point's been made.

As for the ego thing? Only so far as almost five years later people new to higher end knives don't know about the "nonsense," marketing, and even a tragicomical "training division" of a certain company I shall refrain from further mentioning.

I would like for people new to dropping $400 or more on knives to be empowered to make fully informed buying choices. Sorry to everyone for going overboard about it in this thread.

I own both brands. Not the exact models. But I can tell you, hands down, no question about it, period, end of story--Hinderer blows Strider away with fit and finish, and 'awesomeness'. :)

I can't add much else. I paid retail for the Strider and probably overpaid for the Hinderer. (who knows. I'll find out if I sell or trade.) But I don't regret either purchase at all.

With all that said, I love the Strider, too.

But the Hinderer imparts a precision that the Strider does not.

Finally, I haven't used either of these knives to do a damn bit of cutting worth mentioning.

They are both fun collector pieces, and I use small pocket knives mainly as daily drivers, of the Spyderco, CR, Al Mar variety... these knives I really use.

Anyway... I always imagine that if I had to grab one pocket knife for a desperate run into the woods (why would that ever happen? It's a knife collector fantasy, no doubt) I'd grab that Hinderer, and the Spydercos, and the Al Mar.

Back