Strider SMF vs Hinderer XM-24

This is why I will never buy a Hinderer. Keeping the supply artificially low to keep secondary prices higher. Unless you are a LEO or a firefighter then it will be $385.:rolleyes: That is BS.:mad:

I got my xm 18 3.5 for $700, and was a fantastic knife in all areas. Did you buy a xm 18 second hand?

oh my, never knew about Mick's backstory. interesting stuff. sure puts a new perspective on my thoughts about getting an sng

It's starting up... ^
When I was younger, I was caught trying to do a bad thing. But, I was forgiven.
When one realizes that there is no such thing as "versus", they are enlightened. :D

My choice between the 2 would be the smf. I have the new lock up on my sng. I recently watch a video of a guy who had a either smf, or sng with the old lock up and lots of blade play, lock rock. He whacked the crap out of the spine of the blade and it never failed.

I have a Strider SnG and would like a Hinderer but yes, secondary prices really take away the allure for me. The 24 is also a tick under a 1/2 pound and while it might be great in my gear, it wouldn't be in my pocket.

This is why I will never buy a Hinderer. Keeping the supply artificially low to keep secondary prices higher. Unless you are a LEO or a firefighter then it will be $385.:rolleyes: That is BS.:mad:

I don't understand how you would know that RHK keeps the supply "artificially low". That sounds an awful lot like opinion. RHK doesn't benefit from secondary market prices...
Case in point: There have been 2 flash sales (an many lotteries on this forum and another) in the last couple of weeks where they sold 50 knives each sale to whomever wanted them for their $385 price. BOTH Sold out in less than 2 minutes. It appears to me that they are not keeping the supply "artificially low" but rather the demand is extremely high. Do you want to know why the demand is so high? The make fantastic knives and have a great group of people at RHK, who happen to be very professional and interactive with their community. You can easily get one on the exchange for less than you could a year ago. I recommend you try one and then pass judgement on what is "artificial".

As for the Strider, I have never owned one so I won't comment.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you would know that RHK keeps the supply "artificially low". That sounds an awful lot like opinion. RHK doesn't benefit from secondary market prices...
Case in point: There have been 2 flash sales (an many lotteries on this forum and another) in the last couple of weeks where they sold 50 knives each sale to whomever wanted them for their $385 price. BOTH Sold out in less than 2 minutes. It appears to me that they are not keeping the supply "artificially low" but rather the demand is extremely high. Do you want to know why the demand is so high? The make fantastic knives and have a great group of people at RHK, who happen to be very professional and interactive with their community. You can easily get one on the exchange for less than you could a year ago. I recommend you try one and then pass judgement on what is "artificial".

As for the Strider, I have never owned one so I won't comment.

I sold mine for $550 that included the hinderer tool, I just saw one for 5 on the exchange lnib. I have had all of the big 3. People have different needs for knives. Can't go wrong with any of them, if your happy with it, that's all that matters.

I paid $385 and I'm neither of those things. I'd take a $500 hinderer over a $385 strider, even if the prices were reversed.

Which one should I go with?
I've got 5 SMF's and 2 XM-24's right now. I love Hinderer and Strider knives. W/that said the Hinderer's are the better knives. I've got 5 XM-s total and they are all equally well made. There's no blade play, they're fit&finish is all excellent, blades are all perfectly centered and very smooth. All of my Striders have something off. If the opening is smooth then there's a little blade play. If I tighten pivot to eliminate play then they are hard to open. Only one has a perfectly centered blade, all of the others are off slightly. 2 of my SMF's were new from dealers and purchased recently (Knifeart, Bluelinegear) and one of those came w/a small knick on clip and a rub on the blade. That's my experience. Strider has improved from earlier QC but not as good as XM's. XM's cost a lot more unless you can get it direct from Hinderer. You could just get a ZT, they are as good as XM's for a lot less.
IMG_0002_zps69fd796a.jpg

And RE posts about Mick Strider being evil. He lied about being in US Military Special Forces. I've read that his lies were in print and recorded forever and people were able to expose them very easily because of the easy access to criminal history and army discharge info. There's a lot of info on that subject right here on BF.

Back