Strider style knives

Not sure what the OP's specific needs or desires are until he comes back and gives us the particulars but here are some pictures for reference. (Not mine, they are taken from the each maker's site)

Strider SNG (Hard to mistake their aesthetic, especially if you are into knives) Most, if not all, of their folders have this particular look. I heard awhile back that Strider is no longer making knives, which just makes their already high cost even higher....

VEmuKr1.jpg

Protech SnG (My understanding is this is a collaborative effort between Protech and Strider) Maintains the Strider aesthetic but it is an auto, which may or may not be a factor for the OP. These knives are available still and arguably are quite affordable.

s63q2YT.jpg

Someone up above mentioned the Spyderco Shaman. I suppose the blade shape can be seen as similar, here is a pic for reference.

X4BwcQp.png

Kershaw Blur for reference as well.

FvsesSH.png

And here is another picture of my ZT 0301 fully extended.

s83hRP1.jpg

View attachment 799208 I won’t buy a Strider for many reasons, but I do like the aesthetic and ergos.
So I grabbed a Pro Tech.....and love it!
Joe

Agreed. I was attracted to Strider knives years ago and then discovered I'd rather have something else, for reasons. The Protech really seems like it is a great alternative, this thread has got me interested in picking one up myself.

We really do need the OP to return though and draw that line in the sand to illustrate at what point a knife becomes too expensive.

Is it $X vs. a Buck, or $Y vs. a Protech.

Then I guess secondary to any Strider discussion is are the collaborationist blades as tainted as a straight from Strider blade?

It may even turn out that some other hard use prybar folder will be fine. Let's put the Medford Praetorian on the table.

Full Disclosure. I'm not a finger choil guy, I can forgive a finger choil on some smaller "precision" knives like some Spyderco's but on larger folders and fixed blades they just kinda seem superfluous and counter-productive. That's just my opinion and use case only. I'm not suggesting a boycott or that all makers cease integrating finger choils, at once. I know they are a popular feature for which my plebian intellect may simply be unable to comprehend.

The Strider handle ergos, never looked particularly comfortable to me but I'm embarrassed to say I have never held one to even expect a shred of credibility to my opinion. Errmm. I apologize for the interruption. :(

Protech also, but I believe they are autos
Really nice auto. In my city they frown upon auto's. They treat it almost as seriously as a gun. No one handers, locked blades, no assisted and nothing over 3". So my regular edc knives are all illegal. I actually don't own any legal knives. Even my Leek & my K-Bar Dozier.

Full Disclosure. I'm not a finger choil guy, I can forgive a finger choil on some smaller "precision" knives like some Spyderco's but on larger folders and fixed blades they just kinda seem superfluous and counter-productive. That's just my opinion and use case only. I'm not suggesting a boycott or that all makers cease integrating finger choils, at once. I know they are a popular feature for which my plebian intellect may simply be unable to comprehend.

The Strider handle ergos, never looked particularly comfortable to me but I'm embarrassed to say I have never held one to even expect a shred of credibility to my opinion. Errmm. I apologize for the interruption. :(
I never thought the ergos looked comfortable either. I got to try out a Protect Strider at the USN Gathering and found out they are very comfortable in hand.

What does a Strider look like to you and what's too much to pay for one?
I just got home a few minutes ago and one of the earlier posts told me about the Buck Strider and it is perfect. It looks just like the Strider, Good size. The only thing I wish the steel was a little better. As mentioned before in this thread "tyhe best 2 out of 3" It works for me. Thank you everybody for all your help, the problem is solved.

Sometimes we just need to ramble. I do it too.

Buck Strider is it. Around $200

The Buck/Strider has been out of production for some time and are hard to find on the exchanges. I think there may be one for sale on one of the exchanges(not BF) now(or at least was one recently), but I can't say when the last one was for sale-could have been a year or more.
but certainly possible

Not sure what the OP's specific needs or desires are until he comes back and gives us the particulars but here are some pictures for reference. (Not mine, they are taken from the each maker's site)

Strider SNG (Hard to mistake their aesthetic, especially if you are into knives) Most, if not all, of their folders have this particular look. I heard awhile back that Strider is no longer making knives, which just makes their already high cost even higher....

VEmuKr1.jpg

Protech SnG (My understanding is this is a collaborative effort between Protech and Strider) Maintains the Strider aesthetic but it is an auto, which may or may not be a factor for the OP. These knives are available still and arguably are quite affordable.

s63q2YT.jpg

Someone up above mentioned the Spyderco Shaman. I suppose the blade shape can be seen as similar, here is a pic for reference.

X4BwcQp.png

Kershaw Blur for reference as well.

FvsesSH.png

And here is another picture of my ZT 0301 fully extended.

s83hRP1.jpg
I have 6 Blurs in different steels and colors and I carry most of them but the aesthetics are not the same as a Strider I also have the Shaman with Marble CF and it is a completely different feel and look.

The Buck Strider tanto, I has was heavy, had a weak detent and was easy to flex side to side. It felt like it wouldn't take much to just break the blade out.

This might seem like a suggestion out of left field but how about a Spyderco Manix XL? Big, leaf-shaped blade. Much different but probably superior handle ergonomics. It's a ball bearing lock but I prefer those over frame locks.
Got the Black G-10 S30V and the Carbon Fiber S90V. I love them both and the S30 gets alot of pocket time. Great knives but I am looking more for the aesthetics.

Then I guess secondary to any Strider discussion is are the collaborationist blades as tainted as a straight from Strider blade?

I started thinking about this too, shortly before you mentioned it. I think it probably would be an interesting discussion to have. Being pretty decisive about why I wouldn't ever buy a Strider, it does make me think about whether or not those same sentiments should carry over to collaborations...

Buck Strider is it. Around $200

As has been mentioned before, it is likely going to be difficult to find as they aren't made anymore and will likely be inflated in price as a result.

I have 6 Blurs in different steels and colors and I carry most of them but the aesthetics are not the same as a Strider I also have the Shaman with Marble CF and it is a completely different feel and look.

The Spderco and Kershaw pictures were included due to them being recommendations earlier in the thread before you specified exactly what you were looking for.

The Buck Strider tanto, I has was heavy, had a weak detent and was easy to flex side to side. It felt like it wouldn't take much to just break the blade out.
Thats a bummer. Maybe I'LL look for the Protech. I know that I said that Autos are highly Illegal in N.Y.C but what the hell. They are really nice looking.

Back