Strider WP vs. Livesay Woo/Celt

To me, Strider knives are beautiful. I've always liked simplistic designs that scream "unbreakable" and follow through. As a point of reference, I think Volvos are beautiful cars. They got the Buddy Lee thing going. Can't bust 'em!

Actually, water is somewhat of a concern to me. While I spend most of my camping by lakes and such, I'll also be using them in New Orleans, Kemah (by Houston), and maybe even a beach or two back home in CA. I figure as long as I know how to take care of them, I'll be fine. But, just in case, what's the best balance between reasonable cost/rust resiliency? Is it ATS-34?

Hi!
I guess I'm one of the Livesay Attaboys...
Newt's knives are affordable workers.
1095 isn't crap steel.
If you can keep your firearm rustfree, you can manage to do the same for your knife.
I just don't understand the rust-a-phobics...
I've used a carbon steel knife (Schrade Sharpfinger) saltwater fishing for years. Did it rust? Once when I was hammered and forgot to wipe it down and give it a zotz of WD-40. Was it ruined? No way. A little Flitz and it was as good as new. OK it looks like an old hammer, but it is a user, not a looker.
My advice? Get both! You won't be sorry with either.
As Bob Dozier said to me..."After all that, it is just a knife."

ebbtide,

I love that knife! I bought two Sharpfingers for people at work (18.99 from Bayou Lafourche) and I loved how they handled. The shape was real helpful in the kitchen, too.

Just to clarify a few things, Salt water does very little to a STRIDER. I was in Florida camping for 2 weeks all done on the beach. Not a hint of rust and I NEVER CLEANED IT. The Strider SEAL 2001 knife is used extensively in salt water BY NAVY SEALS for christ sake and do you hear any complaints? I doubt it. I was amazed at the fact that the knife stayed rust free! It is the first knife I have exposed to salt water in a humid jungle like environment and had it come back rust free, not even a spec.
Second, my only 1095 experience SUCKED I had a TOPS knife (I live in New England) I used it once to clear away some wet branches in my yard, resheathed the thing and went in the house...
About 2 hrs later took it out of the sheath and holy Sh****t the thing was rusted! And not just a little on the blade edge, the entire exposed length of the edge was rusted. After resharpening not be because it need it but to remove the rust I could not get all the pits out! What do you think will happen to the pits? It compramises the blade. Hence I sold the thing.
Look if your going to spend money why through it down the drain. You could go through 3 or 4 1095 blades (Livesay included) before you would even need a refinishing on a STRIDER.
I have had Striders now for 4 years, the things don't rust out anywhere near the level of 1095. 1095 is a low grade steel. ATS-34 is a high grade steel. But the most important process is the heat treating I can tell you right now PAUL BOS is the best heat man now bar none. He does all of the Striders.
Do yourself a favor get a STRIDER forget the other CRAP.

Strider4112, you seem to be missing the point here with all you're posturing, ranting, raving and otherwise slamming on all other knives except a Strider.

Now Striders quality is not in question any way shape or forum. WE all know how good they are and most of us have one or more, not to mention wanting to get many many more.

However, you're constant slamming on other knives gets tiresome to say the least. However, I know and understand what you mean as my Strider is one kick butt blade.

I've got a Randall #14 that's made from stainless steel (don't know what kind of steel Randal made knives uses) However, this blade rusted on Okinawa during a 5 day FTX. Also had it rust in the PI when deployed. Point is every knife will rust if it's maade out of steel just like you're weapon.

Point is most all knife collectors have more than just one brand/style of knife in their collection and most userers/abusers also have different knives for different senarios. I've got Strider, Randall, Busse and Livesay blades that depending on the mission, location and terrain one would be better than the other. However, I do have my Strider on the force vest and will take it everywhere everytime.

All steels with any carbon in them at all are going to rust under the right or should I say wrong conditions. ATS-34 happens to be a steel that requires very little if any care to prevent rust. The higher the carbon content, the easier it will rust if all other variables are the same.

One variable that gets overlooked often is the polish. On an uncoated blade, the better the polished finish, the less likely the blade will rust when comparing apples to apples.

I was very reluctant to make the switch from carbon steel blades to stainless blades. 154-cm, ATS-34, and BG 42 are the reasons why I now prefer stainless steel blades. I like the way these steels hold an edge and require less care than any of the carbon steel blades I have had in the past.

Dennis

Shrike9,

With all due respect, why do you want to stifle Strider4112's comments? His responses are much more helpful to a future and less knowledgable knife buyer like myself than a response like "most knife collectors have more than one brand". Diplomatic answers have limited value IMO, it's the passionate ones that interest me, and make me want to buy one knife over another.

Passion doesn't convince me as much as objective facts and experience. I don't know about "stifling," but to make an educated decision it's nice to hear about flaws in any product, even if they're negligble.

Besides, I understand that Strider knives are made of a steel that's probably reputably better. I will definitely have a Strider knife as soon as I can save up for it. But it seems that Livesay's knives will offer a LOT of performance at a better price point. It's the "bang for the buck" scenario, and right now Livesay wins out for me.

Zero

Originally posted by A. Hansen
Shrike9,

With all due respect, why do you want to stifle Strider4112's comments? His responses are much more helpful to a future and less knowledgable knife buyer like myself than a response like "most knife collectors have more than one brand". Diplomatic answers have limited value IMO, it's the passionate ones that interest me, and make me want to buy one knife over another.

Don't want or am trying to stiffle his response. However, saying something is crap again and again is not right. Show how & why you think something is crap and leave it at that. Nothing wrong with posting you're experciences, ideas and thoughts along with you're "feelings" Only problem is when we wander across the name calling line and start calling other knives CRAP again and again.

Lots of high speed low drag gusys use these "crappy" knives so they must not be all crap Eh?????

A Hanson, thanks I was giving my honest opinon of 1095 and any knives made from it. I have had knives made from 1095 and just feel a certain way about them! I do not want to have to clean a knife immediatly after using it. The case with any 1095 steel knife is the low carbon content and the heat treat can not raise carbon content.

Now this is a STRIDER forum so if you ask if a Livesay Woo is better or v.s. a STRIDER I will tell you the Strider WINS. No matter what.

The point I am making is I spent 5 years going through CRAP knives made by some big custom makers. The designs were OK but the steels were 1095. I mistakenly tried to save money buy spending $130 on a POS, instead of saving money in the long run. Now 4 years ago I bump into this guy Mick Strider and bought his knives. Problem solved in my search for the perfect knives (folder or fixed blade) Now all I carry are Striders. My AR Folder, Model BT, Model EB-LT and my newest edition the model DB.

This is a real experince over years. My posting are real experiences and just because I call a Livesay CRAP that is my expereince with it. Not to bash you or the maker!

All I am trying to say is why waste your time and money on the lesser knife of the two? Why spend money on something that you know will rust? Possibly break and not last that long with an edge worth using.

Lets put it this way Rust = zero edge holding ability.

I know for a fact my Striders will be around long after a 1095 Livesay is!

You guys seem to like Livesays but I do not and would never carry a 1095 knife of any kind, why? Because I can choose so can you.

If you come into the Strider forum be warned we are a loyal tight group of users, and are devoted to Striders. For me, and I think I speak for others here, Striders are our knives and we know they are the BEST!
J

Strider-I think you missed the mark on the steel analysis....
1095 carbon content runs .90-1.03%
ats-34 carbon content is about 1.05%
in the world of steels the carbon content is pretty close to equal.
I don't see what the fuss is all about.I have never had a 1095 blade turn to dust in its sheath.I use it and neglect it all the time and the most I ever get is discoloraton.I've had some Livesay blades for years and have never sharpened them away trying to keep ahead of the rust.I have had ats-34 blades discolor the same way.I think they are both good steels and most of my collection is one or the other of these steels.The strider guys are great and so are their knives.Newt is great too and so are his knives.Busse is great and so are his knives.etc.etc.
I would pick a Woo over a Strider if I needed a neck knife.I don't know if Strider makes any 1/8 in. thick knives.Sometimes thinner is better.
As my best friend would say: "It's all good."
troy

Strider 4112 really knows his stuff. Not only is 1095 "crap", but O1, A-2 and D-2 steel. As they all have high carbon content. So Chris Reeve can toss out his one piece line, and since O-1 is used by Randall their stuff can be trashed, Bob Dozier can trash his stuff and anyone else using D-2. All those customs made of 1095 can also just go into the trash heap. If ATS-34 was the be all to end all steel, everyone would use it for everything. Think Strider owns the patent on it or something? It resists rust, sure so does BG-42, Vg-10 154cm and a host of others, but a lot of us think carbon steels just take a better edge, easier and hold it fine. Funny, lots of other people have used 1095 and left it wet and while it will get some minor rust spots, it "does not destroy the integrity of the blade". ATS-34 is not
something strider discovered under a rock. And it does rust. Heat treating doesn't have jack to do with it rusting. Minimal care is all that is needed to keep non stainless steels functioning fine. Saying stuff is crap and not understanding fully what your talking about in regards to the advantages and disadvantages of any given knife by any given maker make me suspect your claims. Strider doesn't know any secret, you think there might be a reason for custom makers use other than ATS-34? Its not even the most expensive stainless by far. Labor is the major cost of any custom knife, not steel. That said Striders are a fine knife, but just that, nothing more. All the hype reminds me of Mad Dog and his "super knives."

Mike -i think that the heat treat can have some effect on rusting.if the surface is harder,I believe that can inhibit rusting somewhat.
That is particularly the thing I like about Livesay knives.Newt is a master in the heat treating of 1095 steel.It is pretty much the steel he has made his career on.He has develped a recipe to get alot out of the steel.His micarta work and kydex is top notch too.
I just think alot of people make the mistake Strider 4112 makes about 1095.They mistakenly believe that 1095 is some low carbon junk steel.If they would take the time (5 minutes) to check out the specs on the different steels they would see how it compares to other steels instead of just ass-uming.
I love Striders and their designs and would love to see some of their blades in high carbon :D. They really produce a good lineup of knives.

I would just hate to see a newbie come in and read Strider4112s uneducated comments and think any knife made from 1095 is inferior for only that reason.It could turn out for that person,that a 1095 blade might be a better choice.
troy

Mr. Troy Webber,
My comments are correct! I am speaking from experience with 1095 blades, I have owned them and used them. I think they are low grade no matter who makes it. I happen to think Striders are better than any other knife out there. For many reasons.
Calling my comments undeduacated is wrong.

I have one question about all of you defending 1095 Crap, do you even own STRIDERS? It seems you don't (one)because you can't afford them, or (two) you like 1095 blades? Either way it does not matter to me I feel 1095 blades are not that good and in my uses they all FAILED. My Striders will NEVER FAIL ME.

So lets end this piss fest by you MR. Webber and I'll tell you GO BUY A STRIDER!

J

No piss fest here buddy.You were just wrong about the difference in carbon content between the two steels and I was pointing that out.I have zero problem with anyone giving their opinion or experience-its all good.I just have a problem with you saying that 1095 is low carbon and ATS-34 is high carbon.It just isn't true.I actually own some Bos treated ATS-34 and it makes a really good blade.That was never the issue with me.Just dont put bad info up to be a cheerleader for Strider knives for 2 reasons:1-Strider Knives doesn't need that to be a good company.2-it makes you look bad.The quality of their knives stands on its own merit.
I really love Ats-34 but I still consider it to be the 1095 of stainless steels(to me that is a good compliment).Meaning-there are better stainless steels,and worse,but it is a good performer solid and reliable in many ways.I feel the same about 1095.
troy

Without getting into a pissing contest about rust, I'll just say this. I have used Striders blades for many years and they have often been very abused. I have seen Strider knives do unbelivable feats in the field during actually crisis operations without fail-this is why I trust my life to them. Ask knifebomber what he wants on his belt when his mini-gun jams up during a real mission. I depend on a Strider daily to ensure that I can get out of the flying beer can I call an office as well. Striders are at the top of the gear chain. If the money isn't worth it to you-fine, buy something else. When it comes to life insurance, I am a fanatic about my tools, and I am usually carrying a Strider and an Emerson somewhere on me, not because they are popular, or cheap, but because they will not fail. I'll just finish with this. I am leaving this week to a foreign country where gringos are not very popular, and I will be carrying three knives-two of them are Striders.

Back