Strider WP vs. Livesay Woo/Celt

If you are looking for a true cutting tool rather than a small pry bar, check out the new Spyderco Morans. VG-10 steel is very hard to beat for sharp. This is the first out of the box knife that I could actually and comfortably shave my face with. The whole face not just a little patch to test. The kydex was the first one I have ever had that didn't leave some form of a rub on the blade. Came with a techlock and was small enough for a neck knife. Won't break the bank either.
Another great one but a few bucks more is the Fallkniven WM-1. Also VG-10. Good sheath but not as nice a fit as the Moran.
Hope that helps
Doc

Redirts, eh?

Recon, I'm glad you brought up the ocredypS naroM. I forgot about the more mainstream productions. All I could come up with was the TKRC ikswokloP noinapmoC, but I wanted a better steel. The new muL otnaT looks nice, too.

I think I'll get a few syaseviL and the muL from ocredypS for now, with a redirtS in the future.

Zero

Mike, the point was that many armed professionals who are very dependent on tool survival seem to have an extreme preference for Striders. It was like this long before you ever heard of them, and it will continue long after. If you want to sit back in your recliner and poke fun, go ahead. I really think you can't beat the new WP's for the quality and the dollar value. The pilot I am currently flying with has just started to carry one because he felt it was the bare minimum he could go with, and still insure that his knife would not fail. If you want cheap, low speed gear, or a cute little utility cutter, fine. Buy it. If your life will never depend on your tool selection, terrific, I am happy that your world is that comfortable. If you want to fire little computer shots at those who make your world that comfortable, and are trying to share with others, bring it on, it just shows how soft you really are. On another issue-The guys at Strider are very capable of making skinny knives that are wicked sharp, and are not very good at any kind of prying. It just seems that there doesn't seem to be a whole bunch of demand. The true gift of Strider knives is their ability to delivery top end tools for almost any job. The key is to define the job. I happen to also own a very one of a kind little skinny utility blade from the guys at Strider that I use to clean fish. It isn't my first choice for door breaching, but it will clean a trout like nobody's business (and it has never rusted :). The key was to order exactly what I wanted.

Mike,
You better hope your "mini gun" never jams because if all you have left is that 1095 CRAP you beter file off the edge so it will hurt less when the enemy takes it and shoves it up your ass.

Formerly strider4112
Now I am JonLL

Mike,
WW2 Marines carried Ka Bars because Strider wasn't making knives then!

Seriously most armed forces personel are carrying US Military issue knives KaBars and such to this day. Do they like them? Possibly, would they like a Strider better I bet you YES!

I showed my Striders to my Uncle, he was in Vietnam 1967-68 Army infantry, he carried a Camillus Piolts knife, he saw a Strider and wished he had one in country! He lamented the fact that his knife rusted, didn't hold an edge, and came in a POS sheath. When he needed it most it failed!

Take a look at most trends in the industry they are copying Striders. Look at ICC, Busse they are all Strider copys IMO.

To many of us in the STRIDER forum we think Striders are the be all and end all to tactical hard use knives ( we happen to be correct) Hence thats why we are in the Strider Forum.

Initially this was about Livesay Woo's and rust, 1095 is a Carbon steel. Very prone to RUSTING inside the sheath!
Striders are meant to be pushed farther than any knife out there. Why would someone buy a knife that they know could/can and will fail them?

I sold every other knife I owned now all I have and carry are Striders
Why did I do that? Because I found out that Striders are the only knives, the best knives, and the rest IMO is CRAP!

J

Why do people do this?Say it and mean it or don't say it at all.It leaves the posts confusing and full of holes for the next guy who wants to read the thread.Sorry.Thats my rant.It drives me f-ing crazy.
troy

Since it looks as though this topic is just about wrapped up,I'd like to add my final thoughts on this subject.Strider 4112 or Jonll-every knife can fail.Cliff Stamp proved that with his Strider cinder block chopping test.I had a carbon steel Trailmaster by Cold Steel that passed the same test without breaking.Just food for thought.Every tool has the potential for breakage.The main reason I joined in this thread was the negative comments toward Newt Livesay and his knives.Newt Livesay is a former serviceman and all around good American.He makes a fine product at a great price out of American made steel.(Hitachi ATS-34 is a Japanese made steel)Does this matter to you?If not good for you.I'm still a little bit hung up on the concept.Anyway,Newts knives serve many people well and I have heard very few complaints on his blades other than not being groung with a fine edge from the factory.I have heard no complaints on his forum of knives rusting away.But more importantly,Newt would never allow anyone on his forum to call another makers work junk or crap.He would not want his knives promoted like that and would never allow his forumites to berate a seviceman or anyone else's hard work in that way.
And did you really sell all your knives for Striders?No kitchen knives?No utility knives.I really like my shotgun i can hit rabbits really good with it,but I still kept my pistol.
troy

Originally posted by JonLL

Take a look at most trends in the industry they are copying Striders. Look at ICC, Busse they are all Strider copys IMO.
J

Busse's copy Strider :barf: :barf: Now you're really showing your deep knowledge of knives:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I usually leave these alone.
But I do have a few comments.

1. We don't like maker bashing. If you have comments on knives, materials...that is one thing. Bashing a maker sucks. Knife making is still an art. Every ones art is different. We celebrate it all.

2. THIS IS MY OPENION!!! If you are stuck on things made in America, you're a retard.
Blindly choosing "made in America" doesn't make you a patriot. Forcing America to the standards that you call "BEST" is. To state that 1095 is great steel because it is made in America is a little odd to me. No offence. Im not getting on any one in particular. Just the idea.
Quality is most important. Not origin of manufacture. If you want to be a patriot, make America a better place.

3. People who delete their posts are cowards. Plain and simple. If you choose to use words that "step on you dick", find some words to make it right. Don't simply lurk away.

I really sound as if Im ranting here. Sorry.

Realistically, I could be all fkd up. I only read the last page. :)

Mick

PS. I made a ton of knives out of 1095.

Edited for punctuation.
My Damn browser kills my punctuation!!!

I use ATS-34 myself Mick.I just figured that since Strider4112 didn't know anything about the steel's makeup and was commenting on its chemistry, he probably didn't know its point of origin.Why not 154-cm(i think that is the steel) the U.S. made equivalent?In an article I read you or Duane said that was something you were considering.I don't think preferring an American made steel in a military knife is the mark of a retard.I realize it is a big world, but I dont like the idea of China making the military's berets either.I am glad you stepped in to voice your opinion on maker bashing.You are a good man.
troy

Ok Mick, I did not edit my posts because I stepped on my dick., I stand by everyword I said. I just excercised my right to take my ball and go home Ok. You dont like........it.....what can I say. You are the moderator.....you can do what you want. I wanted to terminate something that was really getting me hot, and drawing me into something I did not need. I am not going trade or take insults from a bunch of dickheads who just want to play the my knife is bigger and badder than yours game and thats what it was turning into. If I violated some ethic here by editing the posts out, sorry, I did not realize the gravity of my offense. Will not happen again.

Mick, by the way, as for being a coward........just give it a rest would ya. I know your given to colorful speech, I was in it too. Its a trait that does not sell in the civilian world. If you were not self employed you would have a tough time with that habit. I did, it took me years to ditch it. Just remember, this is a fu...ing knife discussion forum not some g-damn combat zone.

I have a few posts in here and this is the last post I am making on this subject.

1. I did not mean to infer Newt Livesay's Knives were crap, I have owned a few! I stated I felt 1095 steel is crap in certain situations.

2. Mike990 is way off base with being in the forums. Deleting posts is way cowardly! Unless told to do so by a moderator.

3. 1095 is a Carbon tool steel lower grade than ATS-34, Strider builds folders AR/GB from BG-42 a Latrobe PA steel!

4. Webbers comments about bringing Newt's or anybody's military background up is uncalled for.

On this note lets end this miserable thread!!!!

You guys think Livesay's are cool thats fine go buy them go talk about them in his forum, I happen to love Strider knives...

J

Mr. Mike990,
Sorry to have stepped on your toes dude. I attempted( in a rush as usual) to word my post in the effect that I was not pointing. You are not the first to delete a post. As I said, I have no idea what was going on in the thread. If you deleted your post, it is your business. However, since it is generally an act of cowardice here, (in this electrical land) maybe note why you chose to edit/delete. Your explanation of why you chose to do so is understandable. It is often hard to read into things when not in person.
Regarding saying what is on my mind, it's just the way I am. Often times I offend with my straight talk. I however appreciate it from others.
Luckily, my work ethic has always over shadowed my lack of PC.

Troy Webber
Again, I didn't read the thread. (Bad habit of mine).
I don't like 154CM because of its cleanliness. (Lack there of).
We do use quite a few domestic steels however. We simply try to use the best for the job.

Talk to you soon

Mick

Jon-I happen to love Strider knives too.Just because I don't own a drawer full of them doesn't mean I'm not a fan.Everyone has their brand loyalties and I think that is great.I come from the school of thought that a person can like more than one brand at the same time.
I'm a fan,but not a fanatic.
troy

Back