Strike Master Padauk Firesteel Review

About a moth ago I was asked to do a review of the Strike Master Survival Tool. I will not lie, I am usually not to keen on combo firesteels. But, I agreed to do it. I told Jeff that I was going to be very honest, he understood where I was coming from and sent me 3 of these fire starters for free to test. He also sent me some history.

Charlie Hutchens is the maker of these. His dad and him started selling firestarters at the Portland Saturday Market in 1981. Gun shows, survival expos, and sportsman's shows were all worked up until Charlie's dad passed in 1995. Charlie now strictly does the Saturday market, and a small handful of sportsman's shows.

[video=youtube;jLicTZmsymQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLicTZmsymQ[/video]

They come in 3 sizes. I used the mid-sized one, and I am going to give away the other 2.

3+firesteels.JPG

I was used to using the magnesium on the Doans bar. That is about a miserable experience. I was very surprised at how easily the mag shaved. Now here is my problem with magnesium, I feel it makes people think they can use marginal tinders. This is a very bad practice to adopt. I tested some wet dead grass with the mag.

wet+grass+tinder+padauk.JPG

It smoked like crazy then went out.

padauk+no+go.JPG

I also used some damp Cedar bark.

Burning+mag.JPG

Burning+cedar+bundle.JPG

I had a much better result. Bottom line is that marginal tinders should not be used when a fire counts. Just my opinion.

I really love the firesteels on these units. They are not mishmetal. They are just like the Light My Fire type, which is my favorite. It works great on shavings.

Padauk+and+shavings.JPG

Burning+shavings.JPG

You can also scrape the African hardwood handle to produce a ready to light tinder. You can also see that the scraper which is provided is not a piece of crappy hacksaw blade. It is thicker and ground to a 90 degree angle which scrapes well.

Padauk+handle+scrapings.JPG

I also used this to light my new MSR Universal.

Padauk+and+MSR.JPG

Bottom line, if you like using magnesium you will love this product. For ordering and pricing check out this thread at Bushcraft USA.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/108515-Padauk-magnesium-firestarters

Now for the giveaway. This is what I will send you.

fire+steel+give+away.JPG

To enter just put a comment on this post on my blog.

http://monkeystompgearreviews.blogspot.com/

Good luck

Another nice review Terry.

...Now here is my problem with magnesium, I feel it makes people think they can use marginal tinders. This is a very bad practice to adopt.

You mean to practice with, not necessarily carry, right?

The military issued (not sure if they still do) and numerous instructors out there recommend carrying the mag combos because they will light that marginal tinder. At 5,400*F and a brief radiant flame it will light some materials a fire steel alone will not.

And if you lose your knife or only have a pen knife as a example, prepping wood for tinder could be very difficult -- a pile of magnesium shavings maybe the difference.

Nice thing too about a pile of magnesium shavings is you can get ignition with less of a spark should you lose your good striker (awl, hacksaw blade, knife, etc.).

Back