1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 4 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade Limited Edition 319DLC-1801 Proper, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 26!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

Strop medium

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Bill3152, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Bill3152

Bill3152

Nov 27, 2018
    Hey guys. I use a paddle strop. 2 sided leather. I have one side with .25 diamond spray and the other side is plain leather. Now I have no issue with how the knife edges are after the stropping. They shave hair like crazy. Is a hard felt paddle worth looking into? Or balsa perhaps? What do you guys use? Thanks in advance for your feedback .

2. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Personally, I have a few, but no matter how many I have with oxides or diamond spray, I always finish with bare horsehide.

Bill3152 and Airborne 1 like this.
  3. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    Paper over a hard stone. A dollar bill works very well too.

Danketch and Bill3152 like this.
  4. Bill3152

Bill3152

Nov 27, 2018
    Maybe a hundred dollar bill works better? Lol

5. If going for a high-polish finish with compound, I've liked basswood or any similar smooth & tight-grained, firm wood. Balsa's OK, but I prefer something a bit firmer than that; balsa is more prone to compression, denting, cutting, gouging, etc. So it's a little more needy in terms of upkeep, with more frequent cleaning (loads up very fast) & resurfacing to be done.

For convexed blades at high polish, denim or linen over a hard backing (wood, etc) works very well with suitable polishing compounds.

Most of my stropping these days is very minimal. Little or no compound, and I prefer to maintain a more toothy bite coming straight from the stones I use. So, I've been using just bare leather (sueded side of a belt) or a piece of paper laid over an oiled stone, per HH's suggestion above.

So, a lot depends on what your objective is, as to which media for the substrate will work best for you.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Bill3152 likes this.
  6. Bill3152

Bill3152

Nov 27, 2018
    Thanks for the tips. I got a 3 inch by 3 inch by 12 inch piece of balsa. I lapped all 4 sides. Going to use white, green(1/2 micron) and diamond (1/4 micron) and am gluing a piece of veg tanned cowhide on the last side. I had the compounds already from my straight shaving days. The leather too. I got a 1/2 inch pipe flange and pipe I'm gonna screw in for a handle. Well it was laying around. I probably have a few screws in my truck tires so I will use them. Lol. For kitchen knives I just use 220 and a paper wheel.to debur. They cut great. But just playing around