Strop questions

I never really did much stropping, but I now understand it's importance. I do some leather working, so I have scrap veg tan leather belts. Is this a good alternative to a conventional strop? Also, what kind of techniques are people using?

I never really did much stropping, but I now understand it's importance. I do some leather working, so I have scrap veg tan leather belts. Is this a good alternative to a conventional strop? Also, what kind of techniques are people using?

Veg tan leather is what strops are typically made of.

Affix them to a hard flat surface (smooth side up vs. nubbly side up seems to be a running debate), color (just like a crayon) some chrome oxide and black emery compounds on them, use a low angle (you don't want to round off your edge) and light pressure and go spine first, and you're in business.

Practice with angles until you get it to work for you.

It's simple. Have fun! :thumbup:

Cool, not much to it then! Also, after using my blade, I sometimes get burrs. Does stropping even these out?

Cool, not much to it then! Also, after using my blade, I sometimes get burrs. Does stropping even these out?

Stropping will knock off a very small burr, not a big one...it won't knock off a true wire edge like you sometimes see.

It is pretty cool. But that angle thing is KEY. You will go through all kinds of phases of too acute, too obtuse, etc. I use veg tanned, smooth side. I find that a very light sanding is good on that shiney pinkish surface of veg tanned. You do, however, need to be careful to remove sandpaper grit. I do that by sanding the leather before glueing it to a background and then wacking the leather against my leg, hard and a lot...like giving yourself a good whipping. That will not only jar off the grit but also the leather dust. I use a fairly fine grit. 420 or something like that. You don't want that surface rough... just knock off that faint shine you get on veg tanned. Now that's what I do. Others like it rough. Others like it with the shine,

I also have a balsa wood strop. Put the green compound right on the wood. That has very nice feedback to it. You can feel the action of the abrasives on the steel.

Try this old trick to find the right angle. Lay the edge on the strop end away from you and angle it up till it starts to bite using forward pressure. Once it starts to bite pull the blade back along the strop maintaining that same angle. At the end of your stroke lift straight up off the strop. This will help from rounding the edge. Most folks have trouble with stropping because they end up polishing the top of the secondary bevel not the edge. Use that bite trick till it becomes second nature and you will polish the edge not the top of the secondary bevel. On your burrs drag the edge backwards on a stone very lightly and slightly steeper than the angle of your edge.

Here is what I use...

[video=youtube_share;DU6i_dAj-Wo]http://youtu.be/DU6i_dAj-Wo[/video]

Try this old trick to find the right angle. Lay the edge on the strop end away from you and angle it up till it starts to bite using forward pressure. Once it starts to bite pull the blade back along the strop maintaining that same angle.

Exactly what I do. :thumbup:

On your burrs drag the edge backwards on a stone very lightly and slightly steeper than the angle of your edge.

You know what else helps with samll burrs...make a small notch in wood (like your strop handle) by lightly drawing the length of your blade across it. Do that while stropping. But, as Hoosier/Horsewright mentioned, anything bigger or a wire needs a quick, light pass on a stone or ceramic rod.

Try this old trick to find the right angle. Lay the edge on the strop end away from you and angle it up till it starts to bite using forward pressure. Once it starts to bite pull the blade back along the strop maintaining that same angle. At the end of your stroke lift straight up off the strop. This will help from rounding the edge. Most folks have trouble with stropping because they end up polishing the top of the secondary bevel not the edge. Use that bite trick till it becomes second nature and you will polish the edge not the top of the secondary bevel. On your burrs drag the edge backwards on a stone very lightly and slightly steeper than the angle of your edge.

That's just beautiful in its elegant simplicity!!!

This post is immensely helpful, thank you. Never got into stropping because of the worry of ruining my whole sharpening job in a few strokes, might give it a try now.

There is a very good sticky at the top of the page re stropping that has good info.

All comes down to how conformable the strop is, amount of surface area of the cutting bevel, and the size of the abrasive. There are a lot of variables compared to grinding with a stone.

On a V bevel it is very important to use light pressure and do as much set up work as possible on the stones first. Even then you would do well to use a slightly lower (more acute) angle when stropping than you used on the stones. With a Scandi or full convex edge the blade presents a lot more surface area and it is much easier to hold that angle without rounding.

Study the leather just in front of the apex as it moves along - you do not want to see much of a change in its reflectance compared to the rest of the strop surface or it means you have a noticeable amount of rounding at the cutting edge. When you go back to the stones you will be able to tell how much you are rounding the cutting edge by how long it takes to grind a fresh bevel.

The harder the strop, the more likely it is to keep a flat bevel surface, and it will also be somewhat less effective at removing burrs. It will also have an effect on the how much the abrasive bites on the steel and how much of the particle is sticking up above the strop surface. The key is to manage the amount of pressure and be realistic about how much work you can do on the strop compared to going back to your stones.

A real easy way to get your feet wet is to wrap a sheet of paper around your stone and apply compound to that - change it out when it loads up. This will save you any variations in the leather strop as it loads up and needs cleaning, sanding, etc and pressure variations from one density/thickness of leather to another - maybe shorten the learning curve somewhat.

I also highly recommend backhoning on polishing grade waterstones at some point - a very challenging skill to learn, but will do wonders for your stropping mechanics.

The link in my signature might be helpful as well. Disclaimer - the link is to a "strop substitute" that I make, but the accompanying videos are directly applicable to stropping/backhoning technique as long as you take into account how much less forgiving leather is of pressure and feedback.

Not to hijack or anything but I have a question in regards to the stropman stops. Ive had one for about 4 months. Ive always just used the green compound but got white with the stropman for the other side. I am amazed by the aggresive nature of the white but cannot maintain the strop properly. After 10-15 passes, the strop is solid and smooth as granite. I started sanding down with 100 grit paper every two knives. This rougher texture holds the rouge and has some knap to it. But after 4 to 5 passes, the knap is gone; surace is hard, and applying fresh compound is all but impossible. The leather started out as a rougher suede, and ive had this problwm from day one. Any ideas, hints, tricks to keeping that suede texture? Greatly appreciated.

Not to hijack or anything but I have a question in regards to the stropman stops. Ive had one for about 4 months. Ive always just used the green compound but got white with the stropman for the other side. I am amazed by the aggresive nature of the white but cannot maintain the strop properly. After 10-15 passes, the strop is solid and smooth as granite. I started sanding down with 100 grit paper every two knives. This rougher texture holds the rouge and has some knap to it. But after 4 to 5 passes, the knap is gone; surace is hard, and applying fresh compound is all but impossible. The leather started out as a rougher suede, and ive had this problwm from day one. Any ideas, hints, tricks to keeping that suede texture? Greatly appreciated.

I hate to say it, but you might have to try a different compound - the binder is plugging things up and that isn't going to change. You could try heating it up with a hot air gun and blotting up some of those binders (stearin, tallow, wax, whatever the manufacturer is using) while they are in semi-liquid form. Maybe even a piece of paper pressed down with a hot iron will soak up some binders and leave more abrasive (I have never tried this). It will be an issue every time you apply more. This is one of the reasons I gravitated to paper - it loads up I just replace it. Some compounds will have less of this effect or you could use a dry powder, but anything you do will effect results somewhat. Those binders do make a difference in how the abrasive bites depending on what surface you apply it to. A drop or two of mineral oil will loosen up the binders as well, but will likewise have an effect on how they work.

I just rememeber the angle all of my knives are sharpened to. Maybe that is why I have a hard time remembering anything- all my RAM is being used.

Just remember that strops are how you finish your edge and fine tune it. You can lower the angle a few degrees and use more pressure if you want to round the shoulder a little and convex the edge some (be VERY careful with this though, easy to round the edge). You can also use different compounds to perfect the edge, like going coarse to refine the scratch pattern, then working up to fine for a frighteningly sharp edge.

Also note that the type of leather is important. You want a very hard leather. Soft leathers will round the edge if you don't know what you are doing. If you are going with multiple strops (or different pieces on the same strop for compound variety) you can use the rightside sanded down some for coarse compounds. It is not a bad idea to keep a piece of of the leather bare and smooth side out for final finishing. There is a lot of debate on finishing on bare leather versus compounds.

Strops are a shockingly fickle and complex topic.

I've had the same issue with the stropman white compound. Destroyed one strop from applying too aggressively. I'd even heat the leather prior to applying, but something in the binder prevents it going on the leather well. No issues what so ever with their black and green compounds though. To replace the role of the white compound, I bought 1 micron boron carbide paste from CKTG. The stuff is harder than silicon carbide (the black abrasive) and will work for pretty much any steel. Diamond and CBN, are of course the hardest abrasives.

Ive actually used 2 different white compounds, but the stropman stuff is definitely the more fickle of the two. I absolutely LOVE the green compound, though. I, as you, tried heating over a burner and applying but theres no middle ground. When it melts and goes to the strop, it goes on super thick and flakes off as the strop cools. I like the idea of just adding it to paper on the stone. The paste from ccktg sounds interesting. I was familiar with their diamond sprays but not the pastes. I am not concerned with an ultra high cutting ability as i dont run a lot of supersteels. I love sharpening so blades with exceptional edge retention really arent of a concern to me so I really like lower carbide steels such as the Sandvik steels.

Ive actually used 2 different white compounds, but the stropman stuff is definitely the more fickle of the two. I absolutely LOVE the green compound, though. I, as you, tried heating over a burner and applying but theres no middle ground. When it melts and goes to the strop, it goes on super thick and flakes off as the strop cools. I like the idea of just adding it to paper on the stone. The paste from ccktg sounds interesting. I was familiar with their diamond sprays but not the pastes. I am not concerned with an ultra high cutting ability as i dont run a lot of supersteels. I love sharpening so blades with exceptional edge retention really arent of a concern to me so I really like lower carbide steels such as the Sandvik steels.

Best thing about stropping on paper is it costs nothing to get started once you have the compound. It also gives you the option of thinning it with a few drops of mineral oil if the binder is too thick. You can let it sit for a little and the oil will soak into the paper taking some of the binder with it, leaving you with a great, low-binder, low-oil stropping surface that's loaded with abrasive. I found it worked even better when wrapped around the coarse side of a combination stone opposed to the fine side. If you're gunning for a finer edge, use the smooth side of the combination stone as an underlay. This is one of the practices that pointed me toward the Washboard, but still works well in it own right. If you sharpen with a silicon carbide stone (Norton Crystalon :thumbup:) and oil, you can actually claim the resulting thin mud on a sheet of paper and strop with that. For a long time I used to keep a small piece of hacksaw blade in my combination stone box, and use that to whip up some "stropping compound" if I needed to touch up a blade but didn't need to take it to a stone enough to create usable mud. Folks might be surprised at the edge one can whip up using this method. Have to be careful not to have any loose grit under the paper, not have too much oil (want the abrasive to stay put, not slide around too much on the paper) and to not use a stone that's too coarse - a regular combi stone works fine.

Martin

Edit to add - The Sandvik steels are my all around favorites as well. Take an edge like carbon steel but hold it a lot longer.

Back